Constant twitching

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Constant twitching

Postby dARR on August 20th, 2013, 10:22 am

You absolutely can still have bfs. I, like you, twotch 24/7 non stop in my legs and have been for 3 years plus and have no other abnormal clinical findings. Its a hell of a weird thing but the best thing you can do is just try to ignore it and move on with your life asap.

Darr
He who fights with Monsters might take care lest he thereby become a Monster and if you gaze long into the Abyss the Abyss also gazes into you. Fredrich Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil
dARR
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on August 20th, 2013, 10:52 am

Amylou29 wrote:I've had some blood tests done today for b12, potassium, magnesium etc, if all the results are normal can I still have bfs?

it rather indicates you HAVE BFS. I have absolutely normal magnesium and potassium and still have BFS with cramps. magne b6 still helps. maybe I can not digest my magnesium and need higher levels to feel good. Who knows?

Remember, you do not have satisfying criteria to think you have anything sinister - no weakness, no major impairment of motor functions, etc.
whatever else you have is therefore symptomes of ANOTHER disorder, we are used to name if BFS following Mayo clinic doctors.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on August 20th, 2013, 1:01 pm

Thanks guys, the dr hasn't suggested any other tests to be done, do you think I should go with that?
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mwagner on August 20th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Yes, in fact, it wouldn't be BFS if you had one of those deficiencies. If you had twitching due to low B12, then that's a clear-cut diagnosis! BFS is when all else has been ruled out, but it's benign.
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on August 21st, 2013, 2:49 pm

My legs are aching and I'm still twitching away, also my feet hurt but I am on them all day, is this bfs or just general wear and tear?
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on August 23rd, 2013, 10:17 am

Hi, my legs are still aching, calfs especially, they hurt when I walk and go up stairs etc. I can move them normally but they hurt, and of course they are still twitching away. Is this bfs? I don't know why my legs would hurt as I haven't done any extra exercise. I'm getting anxious about this and starting to feel the worry of THAT horrible disease again, any feed back would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks x
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby BobDownSouth on August 26th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Hi!
Normal blood work-ups do not eliminate BFS. Mine was normal. I'm 65 & I I have been twiching all over my body for over two years starting with simple calf twitches. I also get those sometimes serious muscle cramps in sometimes weird places. So long as you just twitch & you have no decrease/loss of muscle function, it is probably a form of BFS. After visiting two neuro's, I believe they know very little about BFS as they rightly are more concerned with the life threatening diseases like ALS. From reading here, BFS symptoms seem to come and go in intensity over time. Some people may find them to totally disappear but others not.

I hope this helps some. This forum helped keep me sane when my local neuro gave me a 50-50 chance at ALS back in fall 2011.
BobDownSouth
Interested
Interested

Postby Noturnus on August 27th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Man, I twitch for almost 4 years now. My ENTIRE BODY. Already got tongue twitches.
I have a crazy aching on my arms that is very debilitating, but NO PROGRESSION.
Already did six emgs and they all came back normal. When I did the last, I was already 2 years with this sympthoms.
My sister startet to show the same problem. She called me complaining her hand was twitching for 4 days non stop.
Noturnus
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on August 27th, 2013, 3:15 pm

It's horrible! My right calf is non stop other same 2 spots, it does it weather I move or keep still, the twitches are quite strong sometimes an they can hurt, some times it feels like a vibration. Where they twitch is really sore and achy like I've been for a run, I find it strange how you've both had emg's and my GP didn't offer any thing like that, any ideas why that would be? Many thanks, Amy x
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on August 27th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Forgot to ask, robdownsouth why did your neuro give you a 50/50 chance of ALS?
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on August 27th, 2013, 3:29 pm

I mean my right thigh, I keep saying calf but its my thigh x
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on August 28th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Hi all, I went to see my GP today as I got myself really worked up about the "hot spot" on my right knee, he didn't really know what to say I don't think, he said als is doubtful but he didn't say it wasn't that, he is going to have a think about what to do and ring me. He said my twitching is wide spread ( although I told him I have it constantly in some places and its mainly my legs) I also told him my tounge has been twitching but only twice in 3 months. My question is as I have been twitching for 3 months now, would I have other symptoms if it was als? Thanks for taking the time to read x
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Protoolsnerd on September 7th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Hi Amy,
From what i've learned about ALS, wide spread random fasciculations do not indicate ALS. What the progression generally is is weakness , atrophy and the muscle twitching won't come and go like it does with BFS. Once a muscle is twitching in ALS that means the muscle is dying . You wouldn't have it go away and come back like us BFS'ers do . Also if you have no actual weakness . Not saying implied weakness or weak feeling , i mean actual clinical weakness. Like , you can't pick something up that used to be easy to do so. The tongue twitch is very common in bfs as well.
Protoolsnerd
Interested
Interested

Postby Amylou29 on September 7th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply. My twitching is constant in my legs but in all different places, is that consistent with bfs? I'm also experiencing sore and stiff leg muscles, thighs especially and the very top of the back of my thighs. Any ideas? Thanks again for your reply
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Protoolsnerd on September 8th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Yep Amy , classic BFS. Especially when you're having anxiety and stress about it , it will increase in frequency. Just last week my calves went bananas , more then they had before , or more then i had NOTICED before . Cramping all that good stuff. It's one of the MOST common BFS issues actually . Right up with hand twitching.
Protoolsnerd
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences with BFS