New suspected BFS

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New suspected BFS

Postby Iamadam on June 11th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Hi everyone,
Been lurking around here for a few months and thought I should share my story to encourage anyone who has similar symptoms.

In april this year, my left deltoid started twitching - non stop! After a few hours I started to think it a bit weird and of course went to the internet and found out I had ALS. Went to the doctor and did some research and realized that was stupid - and it went away after a few days.

A week or so later I noticed that my hands/feet had been falling asleep at night, or if pressure was on them for any length of time at all. My left foot especially started tingling/having weird sensations during the day. I googled, and realized that I obviously had MS and would probably end up blind and lame by the end of the week! Booked some doctors appointments, and in the wait, thighs, calves and back started to twitch. Also had random sensations at various places - like a hair was stuck to my face one time, or intermittent (lasting only a few seconds) pains at various locations. The thing that freaked me out the most was that symptoms (especially the tingling :S) were often worse after exercise or in the heat - I know heat ramps up symptoms of MS, so I panicked!

Went to the doctor, begged for an MRI and got one that week - it was clear. Went to a neurologist for nerve conduction studies - also all clear. Bloods also all clear. Neurologist did strength and sensation tests which were all normal, and decided that I was fine.

Now I twitch from time to time, am still waking up most nights with numb pinky + ring fingers (assuming ulnar nerve rather than C8 root), and have intermittent tingling in the left foot (and sometimes the right) - there some days, gone on others.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?
Oh, I'm a medical student by the way - which makes it worse because I know enough to worry, but not enough to realize my worries are pointless ;)
Iamadam

Re: New suspected BFS

Postby TyWebb on June 11th, 2013, 9:16 pm

After reading the board and going through this for months, I can only say, "welcome to the club"

Sensory symptoms pretty much exclude what most fear. Your age does as well.

You will be gifted with empathy for all your patients and their complaints. hope you go into neurology and fix this for the rest of us!
TyWebb

Postby johnnythejet on June 12th, 2013, 8:47 am

Thanks for sharing your story and its good to see you "figure it out" in such a relatively short amount of time. Welcome.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Floydian on June 20th, 2013, 9:00 am

Your symptoms are very familiar to many people on this board and are very much related to bfs.
Hang on, you will be fine.
Floydian
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS