Dead Arm Flop!

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Dead Arm Flop!

Postby DavidMC94 on April 14th, 2013, 8:47 am

Hey guys, here's my original post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19017

It's your typical story: went through very stressful time in my life, muscles started twitching from anxiety, Googled 'muscle twitching', next minute I think I've got a neuro nasty. Anyways, I woke up this morning with a 'dead arm'. Basically I had been sleeping on my right arm for hours and it had gone numb. I got out of bed and walked across the room to turn off my alarm clock (if the clock is right beside my bed I'll just fall asleep again, so I put it at the other side of the room so I have to get out of bed :lol: ). I raised my right arm to about chest height to turn off my alarm clock, it was then that the sensation of pins and needles exploded in my lower arm and hand and my arm 'flopped' to my side. I couldn't raise it for a few seconds and had to shake it until the pins and needles went away. Anyways the feeling soon returned and I could move my arm just fine, I'm even just back from the gym where I did a full work out (lifting weights, etc), and didn't notice any weakness.

Anyways I'm just writing this to vent, I was really shook up this morning. I know it's likely nothing major (I would have been more worried if there was no numbness/pins and needles), before I Googled muscle twitching this wouldn't have even bothered me. I do imagine that's what 'clinical weakness' would feel like, minus the pins and needles, and it wouldn't just wear off after a few seconds. Does anybody else get a dead arm/hand that they can't move or feel for a few seconds when you wake up in the morning? I'm guessing it would freak out people with our twitchiness! Cheers - David
DavidMC94

Re: Dead Arm Flop!

Postby RGB on April 14th, 2013, 7:26 pm

So long as this was a brief episode after a clear cause (lying on arm for a long period) then you have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. I'm not medically qualified but I do lie on my arm a lot at night and this sounds very familiar to me. My only advice, based on experience, is not to try repeatedly clenching and unclenching your fist under the duvet to get the blood flowing again as this can produce strange looks from your partner :)

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Floydian on April 15th, 2013, 6:27 am

This was one of the symptoms when it all started for me.
No matter how I slept, each night I woke up several times with dead arms and sometimes even when I was still awake.
After I slept with braces it went better. Nowadays I sleep like an angel :)
Floydian
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Floydian on April 15th, 2013, 6:59 am

Floydian wrote:This was one of the symptoms when it all started for me.
No matter how I slept, each night I woke up several times with dead arms and sometimes even when I was still awake.
After I slept with braces it went better. Nowadays I sleep like an angel :)

forgot to mention: i only sleep on my left side otherwise my arm is falling asleep again (suppose you can't have it all :wink: )
Floydian
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS