I am a wreck

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

I am a wreck

Postby Bs2013 on March 13th, 2013, 8:12 pm

First I am new here and many of your posts have been very comforting to me though not enough to keep all my anxiety at bay.

I have had eye twitching on and off for several years but a few weeks ago I began noticing an increase in eye twitching (both eyes but the left is worse) as well as twitching in my left feet (primarily left), calves (both legs), upper arm (primarily my left), my stomach, and my buttock though no noticeable weakness. Like every other post I have read I then paid a picture to Dr. Google and have not been able to end my anxiety since. Trying to be rational I made an apportionment with an internal medicine doctor hoping for a blood test that would tell me I had low potassium or something. The doctor patiently listened to my symptoms and checked my reflexes all normal (including my tongue but not my Bablinski that I have been subsequently reading so much about). I was visibly less stressed after though they said I need to follow up in six months because if symptoms are still present it might be potentially concerning.
They also ran blood tests and a barely high triglyceride score sent me back online were I somehow stumbled upon info about Bulbar onset. Since then my anxiety is back through the roof. I have subsequently noticed that food ends up between my teeth and cheek (which I read is a sign that there is a problem with facial muscles), that food seems to be stuck at the top of my esophagus and requires a second swallow to clear it, and that I am saying the wrong word. I have no problems with liquids, no tongue twitching, or problems chewing. My friends family say I am not slurring any words and that my voice is normal or maybe that I am a little congested ( which I might be) but of course I am attributing to this. I have no performed strength tests in about every way imaginable and all seem normal. I can blow up my cheeks and press on them and tent my cheeks for at least 30 seconds though after 20 it feels a bit strange (I am not sure how long one should be able to do this for) and I can move my tongue up down and side to side for at least 30 seconds though it slows down after the first 5-6 seconds. I have long established TMD issues but thought I should mention it.

IS this something anyone else has went through? Should I have my new symptoms checked out again so soon/does this sound problematic at this point? I am worried about not having my Bablinski checked and am wondering if I should go back for that as well.
Thanks for any thoughts
Bs2013

Re: I am a wreck

Postby mwagner on March 13th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Since then my anxiety is back through the roof. I have subsequently noticed that food ends up between my teeth and cheek (which I read is a sign that there is a problem with facial muscles), that food seems to be stuck at the top of my esophagus and requires a second swallow to clear it, and that I am saying the wrong word. I

This is all due to anxiety. So many of us have gone through the same thing. It's almost uncanny at this point how the BFS journey is so similar between everyone.

I also freaked out in the beginning because food seemed to get stuck in the back of my throat (little pieces) and would require a second swallow. My doctor then said it was due to how dry my mouth was, in her opinion due to my overwhelming anxiety. And, lo and behold, it went away eventually when my anxiety reduced.
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Re: I am a wreck

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS