Can the math not add up?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Can the math not add up?

Postby Jayel on June 28th, 2004, 8:53 pm

I am confused. I first freaked when I hit this site because it said if your reflexes hadn't changed and you were twitching, than all was probably ok. Well, my reflexes did become more brisk. Then, it said if you had no weakness or atrophy all was ok. I do not know what atrophy looks like, but I can still do squats and push ups with a few dents and dings that I don't recall from before, but then I wasn't examining every angle of every body part under bright lights and so forth!

It has been nearly 1 year and things seem to be more noticable and odd, yet my EMG was seemingly clear with just a little tenseness in one area. What is the real deal? Is it weakness??? I have such a hard time wondering if the dents are atrophy and not adding up to weakness...yet.

Anyone else have the reflex change and all was well?
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jayel on June 28th, 2004, 8:56 pm

I think the recent hype on the 6.7 set me back a few months emotionally so forgive any redundancy I might have from previous questions.
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on June 30th, 2004, 1:55 pm

Jayel,

Brisk reflexes are often caused by anxiety, that is what my neuro said, so don't worry about that. As for dents, I have a spot on my left thigh that my neuro referred to as "atrophy" but he said not to worry and just to watch it. It has been there for about 8-9 months and I still have full function of the leg, so I'm not that worried about it anymore.

The dents and dings you are referring to have probably been there forever, and it is most likely that the increased self examination has resulted in these discoveries.

Take care,

Gary
garym

Gracias

Postby Jayel on June 30th, 2004, 10:06 pm

Gary-

Thanks for the feedback. Did your neuro ever suggest why atrophy happens if it is not related to anything serious? I am not THAT old yet! :lol:

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Johnny on July 1st, 2004, 10:53 am

Jayel,

I feel your pain. It is a confusing situation to say the least. I too have noticed new "dents" or slightly differing muscles on each side of my body and think of atrophy. I have never had anyone tell me or read any medical report that says atrophy could occur without weakness. Have you? It seems absurd to think one could have atrophy without loss of strength.
Johnny
Hero
Hero

Postby garym on July 1st, 2004, 1:32 pm

Jayel,

Atrophy could happen for several reasons, many of which are not serious. For me, I believe it has to do with an old knee injury. If a person favors one limb over another due to an injury, soreness, or any other reason, atrophy can start to happen.

Take care,

Gary
garym

Postby Jayel on July 1st, 2004, 10:05 pm

Johnny-

Good point! I just don't know if it would be profound weakness or a gradual decline in strength. I notice all sorts of wierd things, test myself constantly and flexuate back and forth emotionally.

I hung on the monkey bars at the park as long as I could yesterday. It seems silly, but I just have to have that reassurance that is tangible.

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Johnny on July 1st, 2004, 10:34 pm

Jayel,

I could go on for days about some of the silly ways I've tested my strength. I squeeze paper binders, hang on chin up bars, palm a 4 lb. medicine ball in each hand as long as possible, jumping rope etc.

I'm like you in that I fluctuate emotionally from day to day. If you do a search on yahoo with the word atrophy it will give you a definition and possible causes. It also says even a small amount of atrophy causes loss of power.
Johnny
Hero
Hero

Postby Jayel on July 2nd, 2004, 9:40 pm

Johnny-

I'll take your word on that search...I don't surf any more lest I run into the fear inducing articles!! Yeah, today I had my 15 year old son take both hands and try to push my arm up or down and he is a pretty good sized boy. He couldn't do it.... He thought is was a game to test his strength, but we both know why I did it :roll:

I believe it is a faith thing, if I let go and let God, I am good with things; if I don't, I am like a fish floundering out of water!

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Ginlyn on July 10th, 2004, 2:13 am

Gary is right about injury and atrophy.

My husband had a herniated disk explode (literally) into his spinal column and all the gel, etc., damaged a nerve.

He had emergency surgery on his back last year. It's been a year and he has a slight limp (where the nerve endings in his leg are permanently damaged) Anyway, his left calf has atrophied due to this nerve damage.

As he says, things could be a lot worse!
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby Ginlyn on July 10th, 2004, 2:16 am

Oh Jayel,

BTW, I had to laugh when I read your post on "testing strength".

I do the EXACT same thing. When out walking the other day, I decided to see if I could walk on my toes up a hill (then I wonder why I'm sore the next day :oops:

I've also squeezed paper binders, my poor husbands fingers, etc.

You are not alone in this craziness!
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Yuk, Yuk!

Postby Jayel on July 11th, 2004, 10:25 pm

It is sooooo nutty to be me some days! I have done the heal/toe walk so many times lately that I have sore ankles! duh! I just can't figure out how to let this go. I looked down my arm a million times over the last few months and keep checking to see if the"dent" is getting any bigger. I do have some compression in my neck but I do not recall any direct injury to my upper arm. This is one of the "rare" finds as I was not looking for any changes, just leaning to open a window and viola, there I saw the "dent".

I am starting an exercise program and hope to work on my arms further to maintain strength. I write to assure others, then ask for help myself. What is that old saying, "heal thine self!"

Glad we can all relate, I think!!! :)

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Ginlyn on July 12th, 2004, 1:25 am

Jayel,

We can DEFINITELY relate! :)

I, too, give comfort, but cannot provide it for myself.

We should start an off-topic thread on some of the crazy, crazy "tests" we put ourselves through.

The exercise program is a good idea. I've been lifting weights for about 8 months now and sometimes it is the only thing that saves my sanity (except for those "off" days that everybody has, you know, when you are just tired for whatever reason-----then my strength seems to be less, then my mind begins to wonder, and well, you know the rest I'm sure)

Anyway, if you begin to weight train, in a few months you will notice your strength increasing, your muscles firmer, etc..... Then you can do like I do, which is on a "bad worry day", lift much heavier than you are suppose to and pull a ligament or something just because you were trying to "test" your strength! :lol:

I guess it is good that we can laugh at ourselves!! :D (we aren't totally without hope!)
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby Ginlyn on July 12th, 2004, 1:33 am

Oh Jayel, BTW,

I get my reflexes tested once a year by my GP in an annual exam. My reflexes were VERY brisk two years ago (almost kicked him in the face), but were normal this time (a few weeks ago) As Gary mentioned in a previous post, they can vary with stress, meds, etc.

Ginny

PS - Gary, BTW, thanks for your positive input. You always seem to put good logical perspective on those of us (LIKE ME) that can be emotionally crazy at times :D
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby garym on July 12th, 2004, 2:06 pm

Ginny,

No thanks necessary. I'm just trying to give back what was given to me on this site. When I first joined, I was in a state of constant panic and the members back then really came through for me. I hope that I can do the same for the current members. BTW, I'm much better at giving advice than receiving also, so don't feel alone in that regard.

Take care,

Gary
garym

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Experiences with BFS