Fasiculations and Cervical Stenosis

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Fasiculations and Cervical Stenosis

Postby brian62 on January 9th, 2013, 6:34 pm

I started having fasiculations about a month ago after first experiencing severe neck and left shoulder pain. The fasiculations started in my left chest and then in my left tricep.
Slowly over the next couple of weeks I started getting, or at least finally noticing, them in my legs, back etc. I had no weakness anywere, no atrophy. Of course, by then I had looked on the internet and started obsessing about ALS. Had a clean EMG and nerve conduction test at the end of December but an MRI of my neck revealed severe cervical stenosis at c6 and c7. Both my neurologist and my MD feel the fasiculations could be caused by the pressure of the discs against the spinal cord. Wondering if anyone else has heard that stenosis can cause fasiculations? I can't find anything on this.

Thanks for this forum. It was a great comfort when the fasiculations started. The thought of ALS was terrifying and seeing all the posts of people with similar symptoms was wonderful.
brian62

Re: Fasiculations and Cervical Stenosis

Postby aztwitchy on January 9th, 2013, 7:32 pm

i wonder the same thing....i have a bulging disc at the same spot of the cervical spine as you. I was told there was no stenosis however. All the docs I spoke to said they would expect issues in arms\shoulder\neck but not extending down to legs. spine doctor I consulted said while its not out of the realm of possiblity its not likely....so I dunno! best thing would be to start some therapy for your neck and do what you need not to aggravate it further...
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on January 10th, 2013, 1:43 am

in fact pain and twitches in arm could be due to stenosis, and all the rest is most probably a stress reaction. Pain is quite a stress, and acknowledgment with ALS fears is A STRESS, so no wonder you have twitches everhywhere.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS