Another non-stop twitching human being

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Another non-stop twitching human being

Postby NonStopBody on January 5th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Hello everybody,

First of all, two points: thanks for admiting me in the forum and sorry for my bad english, i'm a spaniard with a low english level, so please, forgive for all the mistakes in my messages, i will try to do my best.

I'm afraid (as i can see, the same that other in this forum) about my twitches and all the symptoms around them. My first symptom were not the twiches, but some involuntary movements in both legs (like jerks, or reflex) and in my fingers. I could have one per minute, or only one per day. Two weeks later, i notice that one of my calves was doing something strange, like if a bug was beating inside it... and i could see that these "bites" were indeed involuntary muscular contractions inside the calve. I went to the doctor and he said that they were fasciculantions and they may be provoked by a high level of anxiety. In that moment, i believed him but (and you can understandme at this point) i searched with Dr. Google for more information... first result: ALS. Well, first i was scared, but it take to me only few seconds to realized that i did not have any other symtomps... until this very night, when i have terrible cramps in both legs. Few days later, the twiches were spreaded all over my body. From them, other symptoms that i could related to ALS: weakness in an arm (i could not perform my task in the gym, my arm just lost his strenght), general fatigue (some days i felt my legs as if i have been running 100 miles), paresthesia in both hands, insomnia (i could sleep but i woke up eventually at night with no reason), temporal slurred language, problmes swallowing, difficulties to breath... two of the most scared things was one day that, eventually, my left hand had an increased muscular tone. It felt with stifness and "bigger", and i could not close, this sympton last for 4 days. The other, one day o wake up in the middle of the night and i cannot move right leg, i have to "persuade it from my mind" to do it, but for a minute it was "death".

I had and appointment with a neurologist. Conclusions: for now, difficult to determinate something serious. I didn't have clinical weakness (but i feel i have less strengt that a few months ago). My reflexes were brisk, hoffman pos. and jaw reflex po., negative for babinsky and negative for clonus, all symetrical (¿maybe beacause i'm a nerviose and anxious person?).

My EMG, two weeks ago, showed fasciculations and some myokimias, but no more (no fibrillations or positive waves). My CPK level was quite high (near 500), all of the rest boold test, for now, normal.

Now, i have a non-stop twiching all over my body: the fasciculations in my calves don't stop in all day, there are a few that i can feel but most i cannot (they are there every time i look), and eventually in arms, finger and the rest of my body (included my tongue, which is a twich-killing spree sometimes). I have one (from three weeks to now) in the little finger of my right hand which is persistent and i can provoke it if i move this finger. The jerks are some days missing and somedays disturbing, even in my jaw (sometime i bite my tongue).

¿is it all of this weird in BFS?. With 25 years, i'm quite (very) afraid.

Thanks for your attention and, again, sorry for my bad english.
Bad english, but i am improving it in this forum :P
Twitches, jerks, cramps, stiffness, brisk and pathological reflexes, exercise intolerance, insomnia, paresthesias, perceived weakness... ah!, and of course, anxiety and stress too :D
NonStopBody
Interested
Interested

Re: Another non-stop twitching human being

Postby bobajojo on January 5th, 2013, 8:14 pm

It certainly sounds like BFS to me, especially considering that you've been to see a neurologist. I have everything that you describe. -Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on January 5th, 2013, 11:19 pm

your good results from EMG are a good sign you don't have anything more than BFS. Keep consulting your neurologist but it sounds like you got BFS like us.

will be praying for it to go away quickly....reduce caffeine and work on relaxing your mind and body. keep us posted and read some of the success people have had with working through things here and stop talking to DR. Google!!!
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on January 6th, 2013, 1:59 am

Hello,

I would say despite on probably not very typical start (with jerks), the picture still looks rather like benign, based especially on clean EMG and normal results of neuro appointment. Positive hoffman and jaw reflex indicate rather elevated excitation of muscles and can happen in otherwise healthy persons too, especially if they are under stress.

All the rest symptomes point to elevated anxiety 100% - speech troubles, swallowing troubles, bad sleep. The weakness you have seems to be perseived one because you still can use your arms normally (except gym, because gym is qute an overload). Weakness in ALS is when person can not hold golf pole or shovel, can not hold even a cup (fingers are not moving and can not resopnd on command) but not when you can not push extra weight in the gym. People with bening neuromuscular conditions often have specific disruption of sleep with so called sleep paralysis, when on waking up they can nto fo a while move the whole body, or feel like their limbs are detached, or even can have visual hallucinations in addition to inability to move. That scares of course.

ALS of course statistically grips quickly - but in no way not so much to give you both limb, bulbar and diaphragmal (very last stage requiring ventialtion) symptomes :))) think about it. This is what doctors call 'too many symptomes at once'. While anxiety can and will do it for sure, because it takes few hours for anxious mind to mess the whole body up. ALS symptomes are also irreversable - if the neurons died, they died, it has no remitting pattern like MS in which only fine sheet of myeline is affected. So should you really have your leg paralysed, it would not be back with you in a few time.

Think also about the fact that ALS seldom strikes people of your age (unless you are not a soccer palyer, becasue I remember that the most impressive case of massive ALS-like disorder had happened twice to young soccer palyer teams but who knows what the hell they have to eat by the order of the coach - nobody still knows if they were not in fact poisoned), young victimes are usually have that disease in a close family history for several generations back.

There is probably highly interconnected bunch of symptomes, including usually high background level of anxiety (may be diagnosed as OCD/GAD or not diagnosed but present) and a lot of neurological, musculosceletal and gastroenterical symptomes, often this is associated with hypermobility of joints (lack of proper collagene structure). Alltogether it might be diagnosed as BFS or sometimes as fybromyalgia (characterised by all what you mention plus specific tender points in certain locations on the body). Fibro (if not evident form the childhood) has first attacks usually in your age (and second big peak in forties, and this is probaly happens to me now), and it embraces well all the troubles you describe. If you read posts made by our fellow Saint chrissi, you can see that fybro can be really debilitating but still can be improved significantly.
But however called, or not called at all under any specific name, neuros usually consider that condition as benign because it does not involve deep disability (but causes a hell of inconvenience).

Wellcome here, read the posts, be sure therer are a lot of people with sensopathies, bugs crawling, perceived weakness, fatigue, excercise intolerance, pains, cramps, jerks, bad sleep (sometimes VERY BAD), high reflexes, hoffmans anf jaw reflexes, Chvostek sign, TMJ, GERD, swallowing and speech troubles, tongue twithces, stiff or 'swollen' or really swollen limbs, feeling of tight bandage around the limb and name what else symptomes.
And they all are more or less well being and of course alive.

Hugs
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby NonStopBody on January 6th, 2013, 8:03 am

Thank you so much to all of you for all your answers. I know that, for now, i can only have few moments of serenity when i read you and, in 24 hours, i will came scared again with some new symptoms, doubts or worries. Moreover, i know the only thing i can do for serious is going step by step with my neurologist and leave him to determinate what happens to me. He doesn't think it is ALS, most likely BFS but some of the strange symptoms he say they point to and initial phase of Neuromyotonia. Let see... of course, for now my fear to ALS is so high that even having a linfoma that cause these symptoms could calm down me... it sounds crazy, i know, but it is what i feel now.

"Bobajojo": all the symptoms? really?. Even the lose of strengh, the paralisys and the jerks?.

"aztwichy": yes, i am a little bit calmed with the EMG, but when you see new symptoms after that, you start thinking a lot again... :( i am trying to leave the "Google adiction".

"Yuliasir": I see you are a veteran in this stuff hehe. I rode a lot of the post in this forum before i decided to register and wrote my experience. Yes, some of the symptoms fit at all, but others barely. Of course i assume that with "rare diseases" like BFS, each person can have some differents symptoms. Of course i try to think about the fact that, with 25 years, knowing that bulbar ALS as initial sympthoms is uncommon, and symptoms are irreversible (not a leg that first does not move and then it moves)... but i've read some stories of people who started with fatigue in their legs when running, temporal paralisis or speech issues... yeah, my fault, i shouldn't have read them, and the information in the internet is high biased... but it scares.

Thanks a lot again for your answers, i will keep posting :)
Twitches, jerks, cramps, stiffness, brisk and pathological reflexes, exercise intolerance, insomnia, paresthesias, perceived weakness... ah!, and of course, anxiety and stress too :D
NonStopBody
Interested
Interested

Postby bobajojo on January 7th, 2013, 8:25 am

The jerks were a big problem for me in the beginning. Now, I still get them as I try to fall asleep. Its usually my arm or shoulder popping up but it has also been my legsl, feet, abdomen, finger, wrist, etc.

Because my nerves are hyperexcited (like yours seem to be), I can easily wear out my muscles. Last year, I wore out my pinky finger and 4 weakness was confirmed by my neuro. The strength returned after several weeks.

The parasthesia is a big problem for me during sleep (is yours during sleep or during the day?). I wake up every morning to numbness in my hands, usually just a few fingers and this occurs on both hands.

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby NonStopBody on January 7th, 2013, 11:30 am

bobajojo wrote:The jerks were a big problem for me in the beginning. Now, I still get them as I try to fall asleep. Its usually my arm or shoulder popping up but it has also been my legsl, feet, abdomen, finger, wrist, etc.

Because my nerves are hyperexcited (like yours seem to be), I can easily wear out my muscles. Last year, I wore out my pinky finger and 4 weakness was confirmed by my neuro. The strength returned after several weeks.

The parasthesia is a big problem for me during sleep (is yours during sleep or during the day?). I wake up every morning to numbness in my hands, usually just a few fingers and this occurs on both hands.

-Matt

That seems like my case. Jerks were very disturbing at the begining, mine mostly in legs and fingers.

About focal weakness, i can think (and hope) it is as you are saying, caused by the hiperexcitability of the nerves.

The same with the numbness, i usually wake up in the morning and have one or two fingers (in one or both hands) still "sleeping", it is hard to move them and for a few seconds they don't have any strenght.

Thanks a lot for your answer, it can sound selfish, but it is quite confortable to know about other people with the same symptoms.
Tomorrow i have an appoinment with the reuro, let see.
NonStopBody
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS