Hi Everyone! Looking for answers, & keen to hear ur thoughts

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hi Everyone! Looking for answers, & keen to hear ur thoughts

Postby Gullz on November 10th, 2012, 3:19 am

A few months ago I googled "twitching",and, needless to say, my life changed. The results I received from doctor Google were not only scary, but they made me believe that the cause of my twitching was much more sinister then what I previously believed. Even though I haven't been evaluated by a Doctor, I can whole heartedly say that I believe I have BFS. I was hoping you could evaluate my symptoms, and share your thoughts.

Before I start listing my symptoms, ill give you a bit info about myself. I'm a 23 Year Old Male, and I'm an East Indian. I can say without a doubt that I'm obese. Something I've always struggled with. If there's anything else you need to know about me, please ask.

Here are my symptoms:

-Twitching: All over my body, but worse in certain areas. I've noticed it's worse on the right side of my body. Mostly in the thigh.

-Forced Twitching: I can cause my right thumb to twitch by using it and exerting a bit of force.

-Stiffness & Pain: My right leg stiffens up (especially my thigh), and if I'm walking sometimes I limp because of it. (No Drooping, or Dragging. My left shoulder stiffens up sometimes as we'll, but it doesn't hurt.

-shooting pains in my right leg when doing barbell squats. It feels as if the leg becomes set cement, just unmovable.

-Stabbing/Ripping pain in my left calf: imagine being stabbed in one spot over and over.

-Cramping: Cramps come on, and disappear just as fast. It's not like a Charlie horse.

That's all I can recall right now. Please ask questions, and Please HELP!

Thankyou!

Best Regards

Gullz

Vancouver BC
Gullz

Re: Hi Everyone! Looking for answers, & keen to hear ur thou

Postby Yuliasir on November 10th, 2012, 4:27 am

Hi Gullz,
up tp now really nothing looks sinister in your list of symptomes. I've heard that in Canada it may take quite a while to wait for doctor appointment if you are not obviously ill, so i do not know if it possible for you to make more or less full size medical exams (bloodwork, neuro etc.). If yes and if you need it - maybe it would be useful, just in order to give you basic understanding of what are your health conditions.
I can tell you that many BFSers have 'preferred' side where twitches are easily evoked or might be more pronounsed (mine is left). Many of us can induce twitches by acting sertain muscles (coughing, yawning etc/ are the most common actions to trigger twitches).
Cramps are not unusual in our community, and they are often related to relatively subtle changes in our main electrolytes. It is worth to check common electrolytes and total/ionized Ca.
Obesity itself might be associated with endocrine imbalance, and improper operation of pancreas, gull bladder and thyroid can lay under the twitching syndromes. Also please consider that extra weight causes extra load exactly to your leg muscles, that is why they might suffer more than other parts of the body. As for pains, circualtion might also be impaired. Shooting pains in the leg might be also of two origins - circulatory and due to nerve pinched. Stabbing pains are quite common form of sensory issues (I personally experience it from time to time exactly as you describe, mostly in the legs)/
As I said, right now nothing looks like beyond the reasons I listed above. Welcome on board,
regards
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby volfan on November 11th, 2012, 9:27 am

Gullz, I could have written your post. I would have added that I get odd jerking and tremoring especially at night. But the pains and stiffness, cramps, twitching, everything else...I have that in ways very similar to how you describe it. In fact, my twitching sometimes (but not always) bothers me the least. Oh, and numbness...I wake up at night with body parts being completely numb and can't sit in the same position during the day for very long at all without a body part falling asleep. Hope it helps to hear you have lots in common with me and others I'm sure.

Vicki
volfan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Floydian on November 12th, 2012, 3:53 am

Gullz, all your symptoms are very common with bfs and similar to mine. You write "that sometimes it feels as if the leg becomes set cement, just unmovable", that is so familiar to me. Don't worry too much (besides, you are way too young for something like MND) and welcome on board.
Floydian
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS