Confused!!

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Confused!!

Postby lilyjames on November 4th, 2012, 12:18 pm

First of all a big thank you to all on this forum without your help and support I think I would have gone competely mad by now and also totally on my own as you are the only people who can truly understand what I am going through, so again a huge thank you for those who take the time to reply and support

I am totally confused at the moment, brief history of me

started eye twitch January 2012, March 2012 twitching in calves 24/7, since then twitching in calves and feet is the worse, twitching in feet and toes causes me to cramp, I also get random twitches else where, eye, and when i smile my mouth quivers. Also get vibrating sensations. The BIGGEST problem I have got at the moment is the pain around my Ulnar nerve in my elbow and both hands falling asleep every night in bed.

I have just had a nerve study done and would you believe it the elbow that I have no pain in (Just numbness in pinky and ring finger), has got an Ulnar neuropathy, the elbow that causes me so much pain and well as numbnesss came back fine on the nerve study!!!! :?
Neuro is confused as well, he has done some more blood tests to test for anything that may be irriating my nerves , I have had all normal blood tests done a couple of month ago for diabetes, thyroid etc. they all came back fine, these blood tests he is doing now he said a more complicated and one is a gene test, still waiting for the results of these.

Can anyone help please and advise me why i am getting all this pain in elbow and hands falling asleep also has anyone ever had this problem where one arm has a Ulnar problem but not causing many symptoms, and WHY am I getting all this pain?

Is pain normal with BFS? my muscles in my arms ache as well!! :( i hate this stuff, will it ever stop??

My anxiety level is still very high with BFS and life in general, I am sure if I got that down it would help
By the way only taking anti inflammatory for pain no other meds, amitriptyline has been mentioned. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you for taking the time to read x
lilyjames

Re: Confused!!

Postby Yuliasir on November 4th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Hi Lily,
well, numbness in two fingers might be a sign of ulnar neuropathy even without pain (I wish you never had it!) as for the other hand, then numbness might also be of circulatory origin, so the problem probably lays in your neck, not in the elbow :))). Bad circulation might cause also pains because muscles suffer from low oxygen and try to use glukose for energy... this leads to lactic acid accumulation, and lactic acid is what causes our workout pains and soreness. Such cirulatory troubles are often unilateral (happen preferably at one side of the body), I have them once, and numbness was quite significant... it waned with the time and some circulatory improvement medication. Then, pain might be of very different origins and we all know that in anxoety it might be even more or less 'perceived' because our brains might just interprete relatively mild sensations as pain.
hand numbness during night time is very common for us (I am not sure if it not generally common in healthy population too), but usually it also is a metter of coming on and going away. Please remember our nerves are sensitive. So even relatively mild pressure could cause numbness. Plus we sense it more acutely than other people...
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Floydian on November 5th, 2012, 4:21 am

Hi Lily, I totaly relate to your symptoms. For me it started with nerve pain and sensory issues in both my arms and hands (besides a lot of other symptoms) You can read my first post here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17972
All my tests (bloodwork, mri, x-rays, emg of hands etc......) came back 100% ok. It's normal that you are scared and it can be very confusing if you have so many symptoms and everything is okay. But try to look at it from a different view, I'm so thankful that all my tests were coming back fine. And although it can be annoying and frustrating, sensory (and pain) symptoms is just a good thing. Pain/stiffness/aching mucscles/cramps etc... is all very common with bfs. If you want feel free to pm me.
Floydian
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby volfan on November 5th, 2012, 8:38 am

Lily - I absolutely can relate to every single symptom you described plus a few more. I would go so far as to say all the things you mention, I have also in past posts. It is too bad BFS doesn't just stop at twitching. Why it has to come with all its ne-er do well friends is just a pain in the butt. Although with all the pains and stiffness I've had, I think that part of me has escaped!
volfan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS