im only 16. needing some reassurance.

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

im only 16. needing some reassurance.

Postby bored7742 on September 23rd, 2012, 2:37 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Ryan. I am from Rhode Island and I am currently a sophomore in high school. Here's how everything started. Back on August 2nd of this year, I got a really mad viral infection that led to a pretty bad sore throat. The virus went away in about a week and I was fine for about a week after. Then for some reason, I started to kind of feel random wide spread twitches throughout my body. I also kind of felt drained and lethargic in my legs, but that has seemed to go away. But at no point IS/was there any sign of muscle weakness. I am not tired really at all. In fact, I am very much involved in baseball and it's pretty much my life. I am always working at my baseball and I have seen no change in performance. It seems like when I am 'moving around' and doing any physical activity, all my symptoms vanish. But, when I am just sitting around say like right now as I am typing this, sometimes i feel odd sensations in my fingers like tingling and sometimes an 'inner shaking' if that makes any sense. Also, these symptoms seem to get worse when I think about having MS or ALS or some deadly disease. ALL of these symptoms came about after I got that virus back in August. And during this virus, I became VERY paranoid that i had something worse than a virus! and at that time, i was playing a baseball tournament in which i was doing horrible, and that made me INCREDIBLY stressed. I am not CRAZY worried about these symptoms, but i also do not know what they are. Symptoms have been on and off and not progressive in any way. Like I said, no weakness or clumsiness at all. I want some closure on this but all roads seem to lead to BFS in my eyes. Can someone comfort me please? I feel very lonely and kind of scared. I have my whole life ahead of me and so many goals that are yet to be achieved and i think that's what scares me the most. Help please?
bored7742

Re: im only 16. needing some reassurance.

Postby SuziQ on September 23rd, 2012, 5:53 pm

I'm from Rhode Island. What part do you live in?

At 16, there is no chance that you have **S, especially since you have no clinical weakness. Have you seen your doctor yet? Have you been tested for Lyme and co-infections? It runs quite rampant here, so it is important to rule that out. Otherwise, it is exceedingly common to have these sorts of syndromes after viral infections.

You write really well for a 16 year old from Rhode Island. Much better than most of the kids I know from around here. :)

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby Missi on September 24th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Tiredness is not weakness. Fatigue is not weakness. Clinical weakness is you CAN'T at ANY time do something like grip onto a baseball. You are WAY young, stay off google!!
Missi
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS