to all fellows with hoarse voice - self experiment :)

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

to all fellows with hoarse voice - self experiment :)

Postby Yuliasir on September 5th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Hello everybody,
there are many of us here complaining for husky/hoarse voice and asking if this is really a symptom of anxiety/stress.
Yesterday I had a kind of self-experiment.
I had three episodes when I was quite nervous. Once I had to manage quite significant irritation against my friend and even was about to cry but managed to hold my tears. In next few minutes my voice become so husky that even my via-a-vis had noticed that. Later he was not able to notice that however I felt it - every time I am nervous, my voice becomes thicker.
So I would like to say if you notice that - plese check, if you had to conseal any feelings recently. Were you irritated, uneasy, were you going to cry but stopped yourself? maybe you just have to do three-four tasks at once and were nervous about that?
Stress really causes spasms of vocal cords or makes them swell. Especially unspoken words and feelings which you do not let to be revealed can make that - the words really choke you :)
But then the spasm or swelling subsides - unlike ireversible damage in case of MND.

So cry, speak about your feelings, take some deep breathes if you have situation which makes you nervous - and enjoy your life with less fears :)

regards
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Re: to all fellows with hoarse voice - self experiment :)

Postby Missi on September 8th, 2012, 1:41 am

When I start to cry or get sad my throat gets tight and there is a lump in it. Pure emotion!!! Well said Yuliasir!
Missi
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on September 8th, 2012, 2:40 am

yee but when we are crying - it is normal to have spasms and lumps ^) for me it was really something new that if just being nervous and irriated might make my voice hoarse.

However my mom was not surprised at all - she said - yep, for sure I know that is a case.

We often underestimate how much nervous or irritated we might be. It is especially true for people with GAD - we are so used to be nervous... and generally are used to neglect our body signals. So many of us should end in BFS, when the body is practically cryiing to say - hey!!!! take care about me!!!!
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby beausoleil1 on September 9th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Excellent post Yulia!
beausoleil1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS