My NEW theory about tongue twitching....

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

My NEW theory about tongue twitching....

Postby bobajojo on August 22nd, 2012, 7:39 am

In my never ending quest to figure out why some of us are plagued by tongue twitching and some of us have been spared, I have a new theory.

First, here are my tongue symptoms:

* I have a pulling type twitch in my tongue that happens just about every day. Most days, its doing it all day long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVg5Jf0fGz0

* I also get pulsing fasciculations in the middle of my tongue, and those lightning strike twitches along the sides. Just yesterday, my tongue started pulling again and I checked it out in the mirror. In addition to the pulling twitch like the one in my video, I also saw ultrafast lightning type fascics on both sides of my tongue that lasted about 10 seconds.

* As my tongue twitching progressed and became more frequent, I have been getting scalloped edges along the sides of my tongue that fit nicely with my upper teeth.

* I notice that I am constantly pressing my tongue up against the roof of my mouth during the day. Not sure why. Maybe its a reaction to stress? I'm probably doing it during sleep as well but I don't know.

* Lastly, I have this thing where just as I'm drifting off to sleep, my jaw bites down involuntarily This has been happening since BFS started for me in May of 2011 but for the past several months, its been happening EVERY time I sleep.

My theory is that my tongue twitching is caused by me thrusting my tongue up against the roof of my mouth. Everytime I get that pulling twitch, I can relax my tongue in my mouth and it will eventually stop. I've also noticed that when I get those lightning type twitches that feel like a flicker on the side of my tongue, more often than not I've been pressing my tongue up against my the roof of my mouth. The grooves on the sides of my tongue fit perfectly with my upper teeth. I've been wearing a mouthguard at night and most mornings the grooves are gone. But on the days when my tongue is pulling and spasming, the grooves are back. They can appear very quickly.

So, I'm going to make a concious effort to relax my tongue during the day and catch myself when I'm pressing it against the roof of my mouth during the day. I'm curious to see if this makes a difference.

Again, this is just a theory. Can anyone else relate to this or am I just grasping at straws?

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Re: My NEW theory about tongue twitching....

Postby volfan on August 22nd, 2012, 7:53 am

I push my tongue to the back of my front teeth constantly. In my mind this is somehow part of my TMJ perhaps. I clench my teeth together all the time - day and night. Maybe it is the constant pushing of the tongue whether that is to the roof of the mouth or in my case to the back of my front teeth that wears out the tongue muscle and causes it to twitch in protest. I do think a lot of twitching may be in protest ... I think about my thumb twitching and know I use it a lot due to computer use. I tend to keep my shoulders in a tense posture all day at work as well and this could be why I have such strong twitches in my biceps. I have always heard eye strain can cause eye twitching... Makes some sense that twitching is perhaps partially the body's way of protesting against too much use. Wonder if prostitutes have more twitching in certain areas of the body than others?
volfan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mwagner on August 22nd, 2012, 10:54 am

I think that's a very good theory Matt. As we all know, anytime we exercise or tense up any muscle, twitches are bound to follow. Why would it be any different with your tongue? I think the tongue pushed against the roof of your mouth, as well as any TMJ/clenching issues you might have, make you a prime victim of major tongue twitching.

(Fascinating how many of us have TMJ/bruxism issues too, isn't it?).

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on August 22nd, 2012, 12:09 pm

good point Matt! let us know how it would go
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Jujulia on August 22nd, 2012, 1:35 pm

Hello Matt,

Your theory is interesting. However, I don't think I can explain my tongue twitching that easily. When my tongue first started twitching (about 7 months after the onset), I was only feeling little twitches (like pulsations) once in a while and certainly not every day. Unfortunately, these last couple of months my tongue has been twitching literally nonstop every day, whether it is relaxed or not. It's driving me nuts. It's so stressing and annoying. What exactly do you mean by ''ultrafast lightning type fascics on both sides of my tongue''? Can you catch it on video? I think I have that too (if we're talking about the same thing), but since I don't really look at my tongue anymore, I couldn't tell you if it's there all the time or not. At least in your case it only lasts a few seconds.

Jujulia :)
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby bobajojo on August 22nd, 2012, 1:56 pm

Jujulia,

You've seen that pulling twitch in my video. My tongue does that hundreds of times a day. Its usually triggered by me pressing it against the roof my mouth or tenting my cheeks with it. In addition to that, I feel "flickers" several times a day on both sides and in the middle part of my tongue. I've caught these while looking in the mirror before and its a clear twitch. The lightning type twitches are very quick and I don't know how else to describe them other than I can see my tongue indent very quickly and then release. Sometimes I can feel a slight "pop" when it happens. These usually happen on the sides of my tongue. Lastly, I've had machine gun type twitches in the middle part where I get like 10 or 20 violent twitches in a row in the same spot. Its so hard to describe different types of twitches but I hope this helps. I can make my tongue twitch on command. Just by pressing it against the roof of my mouth. If I rest it in my mouth, I can see lots of quivers but I don't consider these twitches. The twitches are much stronger. -Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby Mellabella on August 22nd, 2012, 8:29 pm

I believe its a good theory. My tongue is never "at rest" at the bottom of my mouth but also pushed up against my the back of my teeth. when I realized I do this I tried to make the effort to keep it relaxed but it always wanders back up there lol. As far as the scalloped tongue, I actually think mine is from "sucking" on my own tongue in my sleep. And I think thats causing my tongue to get caught inbetween my top and bottom teeth all night causing the ridges. I wonder if a nightguard could help with that?
Mellabella

Postby Snoookie on August 28th, 2012, 10:08 am

Hi Matt

I can relate to almost every thing you are describing, i awoke this morning to instant tongue twitching, i had some respite from that for a while, i was thinking also how my tongue is up to roof of mouth and pressing against teeth and wondered if it had always done that, i also have scalloped marks and because i also get this menthol/metallic taste i have developed a habit of trying to draw more saliva to clear it but it doesn't, this taste is central at the moment, i think my taste buds are affected too most strange..... jaw spasms too mostly if not always at night as drifting off to sleep...........had that before tongue twitches but has increased since.....i have some extras to the mix ... had these before very rarely but increased a lot since this began....behind my throat and nose makes a click either on each breath in or out whichever, i have to reposition or sit up to stop it.....so frustrating and annoying.....Snoookie
Snoookie

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS