Scalloped Tongue anyone?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Scalloped Tongue anyone?

Postby Ghayes420 on August 16th, 2012, 7:42 pm

This newest sx has me totally perplexed. My tongue feels fat and IS fat. So fat in fact that the edges of the tongue burn because it is pressing against my teeth. If I stick out my tongue, I have what is know as a "scalloped tongue". Anytime I stick out my tongue you can see very very obvious dents all around it where my teeth were pressing into it.

Anybody care to bite on this one? I would be surprised if anyone had this one develop out of left field for no reason. It just started less than a week ago and is very obvious as I now nip it and bite it more. I love how every week it is something new with BFS, but this one has me perplexed.

Thanks,
G
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Re: Scalloped Tongue anyone?

Postby Jujulia on August 16th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Hey Greg, I'm glad you ask this question, because I also have ''developed'' a scalloped tongue lol. I've noticed it a couple of months ago when I was constantly observing my tongue in the mirror. I read somewhere it could be caused by hypothyroidism, water retention, TMJ syndrome, sleep apnea, etc., etc. It also can be the result of a swollen tongue, which in turn can have benign or less benign causes.

Now that I think about it, maybe my scalloped tongue (or swollen tongue) has something to do with my tongue and throat issues (the ones I've been complaining about many times on this board)?

Take care,

J.
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on August 16th, 2012, 11:18 pm

Hi,
after a few datys of self examination I come to a conclusion that whether your tongue seems scalloped or not depends strongly on the method of presentation. if youe extend it more flat and relaxed, it sems to be scalloped due to natural relief of muslce at the sides.
Strain it! It becomes perfect nice tongue without any tooth marks.

Also my friend please remember that feeling of fat clumsy tongue is one of those anxiety show programs we all have to watch willingly or unwillingly. Same for pressing tongue to the jaws.

How is your thyroid by the way, it can cause a bit of water retention and burning sensation in the tongue.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on August 17th, 2012, 1:14 am

You will find a scalloped tongue for most people with stress etc. and especially those with sleep problems. This is due to pressing of tongue against teeth. Scalloped tongue in MND is really die to athropy. As long as you have strength in your tongue and you can use it like before (no matter how it feels) those dents are not caused by anything sinister. After good nights with relaxed efreshing sleep, my tongue is absolutely normal. After nights with interrupted sleep or when I am stressed. In times of early BFS when I was still anxious my tongue was not only scalloped in the morning but the whole day , I guess I was not only teth pressing but also tongue pressing those days.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby twitcherHH on August 17th, 2012, 1:32 am

Yes, take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C-ClQB99oQ

When I first started to twitch about seven years ago, my tongue looked normal. Two years in, it began to develop these groves and dents on the side. Of course I thought that was it. But nothing much has changed in the past five years (except for that annoying twitch at the tip) and my neurologists didn't find my tongue remarkable, so it's probably nothing to worry about. If you're thinking that maybe your tongue might be scalloped, you're much better off than me and can relax :D
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on August 17th, 2012, 3:59 am

Hah ingo cool you linked that video again, because it looks so much like mine. I tried to put your old one in the twitching vid library but it did not work...
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby bobajojo on August 17th, 2012, 7:39 am

I've also had this develop in the past 6 months. My dad is a dentist so I had him make me a mouth guard for TMJ and I've been wearing it everyday this month and guess what? The teeth marks are dissappearing. I think this is due to clenching our jaws in our sleep. My tongue seems to be too big for my mouth too and I'm always biting it in my sleep. During the day, I notice that my tongue is pressed up against the roof of my mouth a lot which I think is a sign on tension. Don't sweat it.
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on August 17th, 2012, 7:59 am

mmmmmm I love scallops.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Ghayes420 on August 17th, 2012, 10:25 am

Thanks you guys for all your responses. Most days, I just love this place.

Jujulia, our BFS is so identical it is scary! Maybe we were bitten by the same magical bug? haha

Yuliasir, thank you for your comments. Thyroid has been tested so much they should have just biopsied it. ;) I am not a fan of chalking up new sx to anxiety, but I am pretty sure I am wrong as usual.

Chrissi, i do notice that my tongue seems relaxed and ok upon waking but then the (seemingly) swelling and burning on the edges takes place during the day. The nipping and biting begins around noon.

Twitcher HH, thank you for the video and desciption, very nice of you to post that and respond. I really like hearing from your experiences.

Matt, as always, thank you. I will check with my dentist about this mouth guard. You are not the first BFS comrad to recommend this.

Johnny, LMFAO, dont you just love them seered in bacon grease? or wrapped in bacon? Man, that sounds good about now!
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Postby mwagner on August 17th, 2012, 11:21 am

I have a scalloped tongue. Not only does it have teeth marks all over the edges (because I have horrible TMJ and clench my teeth all the time with my tongue obviously in the way), but it is distinctly "scalloped" (if you google the term), and also geographic. Not excessively so as you see in some of the gross pictures of scalloped and geographic tongues, but definitely to a degree. But, I think it has always been this way..

There is nothing at all to worry about this, Greg, I promise you.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on August 17th, 2012, 11:29 am

I just read through everyone's responses and it sounds so obvious to me: you've developed TMJ/bruxism in your sleep from the obvious stress you've been under the past year. This is so common, Greg and stress is the #1 reason for bruxism. And, it happens to most people in their sleep. My bruxism happens all the time while I sleep - there are times I wake up with the worst pains in my jaw. I unfortunately also clench my teeth during the day, and it's an awful, horrible habit I can't break.

A mouth guard will take care of this. Unfortunately, I am one who gets fed up with my mouth guard during the night and end up yanking it out while I sleep, so I wake up with it on my nightstand and a sore jaw.

I remember asking my neurologist about all the cracks and dents in my mouth. He just looked at me like I was crazy. He said "that is not what an atrophied tongue looks like". And, my dentist has never said a word about my tongue looking abnormal. It's all due to bruxism.

But, I feel bad for you that you're now part of the bruxism club. It's no fun and can cause some serious damage to your teeth, so get that mouth guard :)

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby volfan on August 17th, 2012, 12:50 pm

my dentist has really been after me to let him make a mouth guard for me. When he examines me (or I get my teeth cleaned), my jaw pops like crazy. He even said my TMJ is causing gum erosion. I clench my teeth all the time and grind them at night. I am surprised I have anything left other than little nubs. One of the twitches that drives me the battiest are those in my jaws...my own fault. I know.
volfan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby plainslady on August 17th, 2012, 1:17 pm

I'm in the TMJ club too. If I don't wear a night guard I grind down my molars and wake up with my tongue jammed between my teeth. Now that my anxiety is gone, I don't do this as much anymore but all it takes is a single stressful day to trigger it. I don't know that I had a scalloped tongue but I do know I used to get these awful sores on the side of my tongue, I assume from the clenching as well.

On a brighter note, I love you all. I mean, who else can I discuss tongue issues with on a Friday afternoon?

Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby Snoookie on August 28th, 2012, 11:52 am

Yes since the tongue twitches started and observing very often def see the teeth marks and tongue feels fat too............
Snoookie

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS