New twitches...after shingles?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New twitches...after shingles?

Postby justmistic on July 9th, 2012, 5:38 pm

I am new to this site and have been reading it non-stop for the last 2 months. My story would have been easier to write if I had posted sooner I think! Less to remember...I just turned 27, female, have always been very healthy, thankfully. I am a vegetarian who smokes the occasional cigarette :shock: Well, in April of this year I had what I thought was several spider bites on my back. After noticing that, that same evening, I went pee and used the last of my toilet paper and thought I saw a pink tinge to it. I freaked. Internal panic attack. I went to urgent care and they did a urine test and a test for kidneys. Both were OK. I didn't even think to mention the "spider bites". Days later those bites started to really hurt and spread. I went to see a PA at my doctor's office. She said it was def shingles and gave me gabapentin and an antiviral. 2 weeks later I went to a follow up with my doctor who was not too concerned about why I would have got shingles. But I had read that many young people get them with a supressed immune system or stress. Since I wasn't stressed....I figured it had to be...supressed! Anyway, I was still OK with it and it was a mild case. I brought up to her on another note that I had been having tingling near my shoulders and thought I might have a pinched nerve. She insisted it was from a muscle irritating the nerve but sent me for a cervical x-ray and bloodwork. She also gave me a tetanus shot. I was still all good with this...until the next day. The nurse called and said "your x-ray says you have osteoarthritis in your neck." She then said to call back if I had any questions and she hung up. I was nearly paralyzed with fear. I am 27 and first I have shingles, now arthritis?!!! I cried for hours imagining what could be wrong. I couldn't even retell the story aloud. That next day, I woke up twitching EVERYWHERE. I became even more terrified. I looked it up and saw that everyone was afraid of this thing called a**. I was like, "what is that?" Well I looked that up too. My heart almost stopped. I didn't go to the doctor bc I remembered it happened to me in college one time and my doctor said it was stress. It didnt last. But this one seems different. After several weeks I started to wake up with abnormally tight muscles- to where I really thought I had got tetanus from that shot. I went back bc my neck was so tight one morning that it obstructed my hearing somehow. She didnt seem concerned and gave me flexeril. Then in mid june, my muscles started cramping EVERYWHERE. Then two toes and two fingers began to feel numb regularly. That's when I went to the nuero. First time ever. He was a younger guy and was stumped. He said I might have a pinched nerve in my neck. So i did a neck mri a few weeks go. And bloodtests for all auto stuff and complete metabolic panel and more. I was a wreck waiting for these...in a week I found out they are normal. I felt like I had won the lottery. But I'm still twitching and cramping. I saw him again that week and did a ncv test which was normal. Then this past Friday I did a head MRI because I can't get over the thought of certain diseases...He agreed to that for my peace of mind. Honestly, I am terrified to get those results at my GP's tomorrow. I promised myself I would let it go if that turned out normal. And that I'd finally quit the smoking that I had been too stressed to do last month. I can't deal with waiting, but I have to. And that "tinged" toilet paper, turned out to be the glue from the roll. Quite a ride. :?
justmistic

Re: New twitches...after shingles?

Postby Ghayes420 on July 17th, 2012, 11:33 pm

Many people report odd symptoms after shingles or any other virus. Most of those odd symptoms involve twitching in some way. Good luck on your jouney. Your symptoms sound similar to others here. Your age is awfully young for anything sinister. Please keep us updated and good luck on your journey to find a cause.
Greg
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Re: New twitches...after shingles?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS