Round 2

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Round 2

Postby highpriority4 on June 14th, 2012, 9:07 am

Hi guys!

Let me start by saying, for the sake of any newbies who may read this, I have had BFS for at least 4 years, and I'm still alive, to be here complaining about it again. :D

Stress has been crazy high in my life lately, and guess what has decided to rear it's ugly head? You got it, BFS, this time with a healthy dose of anxiety to go along with it UGH! For the Vets, you know I didn't really have anxiety last time, at least not for very long...this time it started with anxiety, brought on by the stress levels in my life right now, I'm sure. This time it actually started with an anxiety attack, which included (gawd I don't want to admit this) a trip to the ER & an IV of Ativan...ummmmm, my 1st match with BFS didn't even included 1 single pill....so wtf? I've never in my entire life had an anxiety attack...yuck.

Anyways, I won this game once, in fact I totally knocked it out of the park, I will again...but for now, I'm making (not by my choice of course) friends with the buzzing/twitching/panic once again....

*sighs*

~*~Amy~*~
Aint no, rhyme or reason, no complicated meanin'
Aint no, need to overthink it, let go laughin'
Life dont go, quite like we planned it, we try so hard to understand it
Irrefutable, indisputable, absoluteable, totally beautiful fact is, Psssh
It happens...
highpriority4
Saint
Saint

Re: Round 2

Postby Jujulia on June 14th, 2012, 9:31 am

First of all, let me tell you that I've read a lot of your older posts and they've helped me a lot. I'm sorry to hear you're having a relapse. It really sucks. Do you have any new specific symptoms that make you freak out?
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby highpriority4 on June 14th, 2012, 9:46 am

Jujulia wrote:First of all, let me tell you that I've read a lot of your older posts and they've helped me a lot. I'm sorry to hear you're having a relapse. It really sucks. Do you have any new specific symptoms that make you freak out?

Hey Jujulia!!

You don't know how super happy that makes me, that my past posts have helped you!! That makes this a little more worth while :D :D

The only "new" symptom for me this time, is the anxiety. I didn't really have a lot of anxiety last time, I was one of the lucky ones. Friends here, & a Neuro I totally trusted, helped me kick the anxiety almost immediately. This time though, man, I'm realizing that anxiety pretty well sucks :(

The twitches & buzzing aren't even phasing me honestly, it's this new anxiety thing that's taking me for a ride. I'm hanging on though, I know it's all part of BFS, and REALLY, it IS all BFS, nothing more. Just another learning curve that my BFS is tossing at me :D :D

~*~Amy~*~
It happens...
highpriority4
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on June 14th, 2012, 10:43 am

Amy,

Did the anxiety trigger more BFS symptoms or the other way around?

If the anxiety triggered it, I think you're putting a lot into the theory that anxiety can cause BFS. I'm so sorry you're dealing with high levels of anxiety right now. I've suffered from anxiety problems most of my life, and I hate it.

But, I'm hoping you'll kick BFS' butt once again, as well as anxiety's butt and be done with this soon.

Hang in there. Even though you're a vet doesn't mean you have to be strong for the rest of the newbies all the time. We can help support you too!

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on June 14th, 2012, 10:45 am

Welcome back Amy. So you are still twitching and buzzing after all those years? I thought it was just me. :P
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby highpriority4 on June 14th, 2012, 10:51 am

mwagner wrote:Amy,

Did the anxiety trigger more BFS symptoms or the other way around?

If the anxiety triggered it, I think you're putting a lot into the theory that anxiety can cause BFS. I'm so sorry you're dealing with high levels of anxiety right now. I've suffered from anxiety problems most of my life, and I hate it.

But, I'm hoping you'll kick BFS' butt once again, as well as anxiety's butt and be done with this soon.

Hang in there. Even though you're a vet doesn't mean you have to be strong for the rest of the newbies all the time. We can help support you too!

Mitra

Hi Mitra!

I think the stress, triggered the anxiety attack, which was my 1st ever actual anxiety attack (I've always been one to feel anxiety & be able to say to myself "You're fine, nothing is going to hurt you." and stop it from going further), triggered this flare up of twitching & buzzing, & all the other not so fun BFS stuff. I DO believe, 100%, that anxiety increases BFS symptoms...there is no doubt in my mind. When I was anxious about all of this the 1st time around, is when my symptoms were at their worst. I think because it has been so long since I have had to pay attention to BFS, is the reason I am struggling to regain control right now...this just started back up Sunday night, so I am reminding myself it takes time to calm the nervous system back down. Today, it is mainly facial twitching that is super annoying...I'd love to throw them out the window ;)

Thanks for your words of support about not having to always be strong...even twitching Vets benefit from reminders now & then :):)

~*~Amy~*~
It happens...
highpriority4
Saint
Saint

Postby Jujulia on June 14th, 2012, 11:03 am

Hello again!

Mitra asked you the same question I was going to ask you (anxiety triggered by your symptoms or the other way around lol). Thanks for answering it!

You started twitching in 2008. Were you a full time twitcher back then (and for how long)? What about right now? I hate the facial twitches too... I get them almost every day. Have you ever got tongue twitches or tongue and throat tightness? That's my biggest issue right now and it's so annoying... it's not only stressful, but literally uncomfortable.
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby mwagner on June 14th, 2012, 11:06 am

I myself have only had one anxiety/panic attack, while having suffered from General Anxiety Disorder for a very long time. Of course, it was while I was waiting for my EMG appointment and so fearful of the results (which were all good). Panic attacks are horrible and I'm so sorry that you had to deal with one. Hopefully it will be your last.

There was a discussion just recently on this board whether anxiety triggers BFS, and I totally think it does. Whether or not it causes BFS, I'm not so sure. There seem to be a whole slew of different theoretical causes (illness, anxiety, vaccines, etc.). It seems like while BFS can slow down or be somewhat dormant, a big anxiety-filled event can start it all up again.

Anyway, wishing you a quick and speedy end to your anxiety, and your BFS symptoms.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby highpriority4 on June 14th, 2012, 11:09 am

johnnythejet wrote:Welcome back Amy. So you are still twitching and buzzing after all those years? I thought it was just me. :P

Johnny!!!

It's super cool to see other people from looooong ago (man are we getting old??)!!

Yeah, still havin all the fun I used to lolol! Not just you...it never ends does it? If we're lucky, we get breaks now & then...but I think once a BFSer, always a BFSer...lucky us!! :wink: :wink:

~*~Amy~*~
It happens...
highpriority4
Saint
Saint

Postby highpriority4 on June 14th, 2012, 11:16 am

Jujulia wrote:Hello again!

Mitra asked you the same question I was going to ask you (anxiety triggered by your symptoms or the other way around lol). Thanks for answering it!

You started twitching in 2008. Were you a full time twitcher back then (and for how long)? What about right now? I hate the facial twitches too... I get them almost every day. Have you ever got tongue twitches or tongue and throat tightness? That's my biggest issue right now and it's so annoying... it's not only stressful, but literally uncomfortable.

I was a full time twitcher for several months...I was able to gain the upper hand on BFS fairly quickly compared to the "normal" turn around, which can be years unfortunately. :( I posted last Novemeber, just sayin "Hi"....and mentioned still dealing with the twitches, ect. They are pretty much part of my every day life, still to this day, however, I don't pay them the attention that they demand, and I honestly don't notice them like I used to...I actually have to pay attention, to find a twitch, & some days I can't find one at all...they used to love me so much, I guess not so much anymore lolol! :P :lol:

The facial twitching going on right now, is definitely a direct result of the anxiety. This is going to sound a little crazy (and maybe I am :wink: ), but what I am "afraid" of, is having another anxiety attack, the twitches & buzzing can take a long walk off of a short pier...they have no control over me anymore :D It took quite awhile to get to the point where twitches, cramping, buzzing, pins & needles, ect ect ect didn't bother me...but now that I'm there, life is fantastic! :D This anxiety might have crashed into me unexpectedly...but I think what I have going for me the most, is that I KNOW I have the power inside of me, to beat it, even if it takes a little while!

~*~Amy~*~
Last edited by highpriority4 on June 14th, 2012, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
It happens...
highpriority4
Saint
Saint

Postby highpriority4 on June 14th, 2012, 11:19 am

mwagner wrote:There was a discussion just recently on this board whether anxiety triggers BFS, and I totally think it does. Whether or not it causes BFS, I'm not so sure.

Mitra

I don't necessarily think that anxiety is the SOLE cause of BFS, but once BFS starts (and none of us will ever know, beyond a doubt, what originally caused our BFS symptoms to begin), and the anxiety kicks in, you get in this awful viscous cycle, because the anxiety over the twitching & other symptoms, DOES trigger your mind to release adrenaline into your body, which DOES increase the hypersensitivity of our already senstive muscles & nerves....just my opinion of course :D

~*~Amy~*~
It happens...
highpriority4
Saint
Saint

Postby highpriority4 on June 14th, 2012, 11:26 am

Jujulia wrote:Hello again!

Have you ever got tongue twitches or tongue and throat tightness? That's my biggest issue right now and it's so annoying... it's not only stressful, but literally uncomfortable.

Yes...tongue twitches were always one of the twitches that annoyed me the most...have you tried chewing gum? It actually helps, because your tongue is moving, & you don't notice the twiches as much...just a little trick I learned, because I have (still today) lots of tongue twitches...yuck! The throat tightness, yep, been there too...I'm embarrased to admit the things I tried, to convince myself everything was fine, & this was all just BFS, but some things may include (not admitting it lolol), taking a drink of water & trying to swallow while hanging upside down (ummm, yeah, really lolol)...and I cannot even begin to tell you the contless hours I spent standing in front of a mirror, waiting for the facial twitches to happen, just so I could obsess over them! Looking back now, WOW, what a waste of my time!!

~*~Amy~*~
It happens...
highpriority4
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on June 14th, 2012, 2:06 pm

Hi Amy,
unfortunately every thing becomes a first time once...
I also had only one panick attack on my life after long term stress - and it took me 3 month to recover and first 5 to 6 weeks I felt like the life would never be the same... and in few month after recovery I got BFS onset...
Long term stress is an awful poison. I wish you to overcome it as soon as possible.
regards
YUlia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on June 14th, 2012, 2:33 pm

Remember, even people without BFS get panic attacks. There is no shame in that, it is just the body's normal reaction to being overloaded with stress chemicals. It essentially just shuts down.

Remember that the body takes something like four times as long to release the effects of anxiety as it does to build them up. So just relax for a while and give it some time, and you will get back to your normal resting state eventually. The human body can't stay panicked forever. Your job now is not to get in the way of the natural recovery process, so just relax, stay calm, don't overstress or worry anything, and possibly get a low dose benzo if you need it. And for heavens sake make sure you get enough sleep.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby highpriority4 on June 14th, 2012, 2:50 pm

MarioMangler wrote: and possibly get a low dose benzo if you need it.

They gave me .5mg of Xanax, which I have not yet taken...it was prescribed to take "as needed", up to 3 times a day. For the past 4 days I have felt the anxiety in the background, but I have been able to keep it from turning into more than just a moment of "whoa thats a freaky feeling"....do you think I should take the pills? You know I don't like pills.....ugh :(

~*~Amy~*~
It happens...
highpriority4
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor