Twitching on top of the head?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitching on top of the head?

Postby Smartpoetic on April 27th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Hey guys. I wanted to ask you guys (based off your experiences) if you have ever had twitching/numbness on the top of your head? I sometimes have twitching or stinging pain (short) on the very top of the left-side of my head. (Here is a diagram for reference. http://www.hairfinder.com/info/headanatomy.gif) I also have experienced some twitching and pain issues on the crown of my head as well.

The weird thing is that the numbness seems to "spread" across my head. It's... really scary. I just saw a neurologist yesterday, and he has ordered me a EMG test for (ugh) next week. I have had some of these symptoms for a little while, but it is particularly bad tonight. I visited a GP tonight, and he said since it is the "outside" of my head (or so he says), there shouldn't be a blood clot/aneurysm. I can't tell if it's on the outside or inside or not. I just know that it feels weird.

Here are some tests that I have already had:
1. CT Scan (no dye) - clean
2. Blood work - mostly normal. I have a low vitamin D deficiency, which is normal
3. 2 DVT tests on my legs - both clean

I do have some anxiety issues, and I have been diagnosed with depression. I've been trying to put this out of my mind, but it seems to only get worse.
Smartpoetic

Re: Twitching on top of the head?

Postby Yuliasir on April 28th, 2012, 2:25 am

hello,
becuase the scalp is actually a muscle, it can twitch of course. it is also could be numb and experience all that sensory and motor weirdness assosiated with BFS.

I personally do not experience that but looks like I have read here about people who have that scalp twitches.

regards
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on May 1st, 2012, 2:56 pm

Smartpoetic wrote:Hey guys. I wanted to ask you guys (based off your experiences) if you have ever had twitching/numbness on the top of your head? I sometimes have twitching or stinging pain (short) on the very top of the left-side of my head. (Here is a diagram for reference. http://www.hairfinder.com/info/headanatomy.gif) I also have experienced some twitching and pain issues on the crown of my head as well.

The weird thing is that the numbness seems to "spread" across my head. It's... really scary. I just saw a neurologist yesterday, and he has ordered me a EMG test for (ugh) next week. I have had some of these symptoms for a little while, but it is particularly bad tonight. I visited a GP tonight, and he said since it is the "outside" of my head (or so he says), there shouldn't be a blood clot/aneurysm. I can't tell if it's on the outside or inside or not. I just know that it feels weird.

Here are some tests that I have already had:
1. CT Scan (no dye) - clean
2. Blood work - mostly normal. I have a low vitamin D deficiency, which is normal
3. 2 DVT tests on my legs - both clean

I do have some anxiety issues, and I have been diagnosed with depression. I've been trying to put this out of my mind, but it seems to only get worse.

Yup. I used to get this a lot, and I still do on occasion. It's one of the many lovely sensory issues associated with BFS. :roll: I also used to get numbness and tingling in my face quite often, and bug-crawling sensations on my scalp, as well. I would think if you use the search feature on this forum, you will probably find others who have reported the same symptom.

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on May 1st, 2012, 4:33 pm

I've had twitching/numbness sensations on the top of my head as well as many other locations of my scalp and face as well. Tingles, buzzing, numbness and other fun stuff. I've been reading this forum for 7 years and can tell you this is not uncommon among us.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby plainslady on May 1st, 2012, 7:03 pm

I experienced the scalp numbness/twitching waaaaay before the all over twitches started. They always freaked me out but because they stayed there I thought nothing of it. That said, with anxiety spikes I've also experienced numbness in the face, especially in from my eye, over to my ear, and down. It also frequently happens down into my neck as well.

Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby Scandinavian girl on January 24th, 2013, 2:55 pm

I have this crawling feeling constantly now on the top of my head..had it for some weeks, but today its particularly bad. Feels like thousands of small bugs crawling..
I'm scared this is a symptom of something else than BFS, and because I have a lot of vision "phenomena" and because I'm diszzy and all the other symptoms, I think mostly of MS, but it's a little bit conforting to read others here have the same..but I don't see many reports on this crawling feeling in scalp. Hope more of you will tell us if you feel it as well.

Hugs
Scandinavian girl
Hero
Hero

Postby BFSBurger on January 24th, 2013, 11:07 pm

The scalp twitch is my most annoying one when it reappears. Its right above my ear and basically impossible to sleep on my right side. Sounds like a thumper in my pillow and wakes me up. Those nights I had to sleep on my left side. My most irritating twitch for sure.
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby seventhcandle on January 25th, 2013, 1:06 am

My scalp twitches come and go. When they are strong, they totally suck and I hate them.

I have had the bugs crawling on my scalp sensory symptom several times. In fact, I had it once in 2010 long before my BFS began. Not sure what to make of that. It scared me and I thought I had MS at the time, but it never happened again until the lovely BFS came over in 2012.
Been on the BFS journey since 6/26/12...

Twitch way do I go from here?

BFS does get better with time. Almost two years in and able to do almost everything I could do before I had this condition. Still twitching away of course...
seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS