Twitchy Tongue

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitchy Tongue

Postby bobajojo on April 17th, 2012, 7:07 am

For the past couple weeks, my tongue twitching has picked up significantly. My neighbors house burned to the ground two weeks ago today. That night was extremely stressful for me as I was one of the first people on the scene and it was chaos trying to make sure everyone got out. That night, I had major heart palpitations and I had the highest level of twitching yet (I'm 11 months in).

It makes sense to me that it would lead to more twitching. My body still seems a little ramped up, but then again, I've never had a decrease in twitches. Now my tongue is really acting up. As I lay in bed, I can feel flickers in the tip, underneath, and on the sides of my tongue. This has become more and more of a problem for me over the past week. I can feel it during the day as well but laying in bed is when I really feel it on my tongue. I've seen them in the mirror and they are definitely fasciculations. Its frustrating because I just don't see it calming down. I've never really had a decrease in my twitching. The only symptom that has improved for me is the sleep starts. As my anxiety has come down, the sleep starts have disappeared. But my twitching just keeps hammering me.

If anyone has had similar experiences with their twitches, tongue, etc. feel free to chime in. It would be helpful to hear if anyone has had a hotspot on their tongue. I don't read many posts about that. Just venting.

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Re: Twitchy Tongue

Postby chrissi on April 17th, 2012, 7:40 am

Matt, I feel soooooooo sorry for U. Yesterday I had a bad stress and caffeine-induced flare-up an I was twitching horribly,including my tongue, I had up to 7 spots going at the same time flickering in there, and one underneath ma tongue (not the gum but the lower side of tongue). Today it has calmed down a bit, but I stil have some continuous Zap going on and off in the mille of my tongue..it is soooooooooooo nerve wrecking, when your tongue is doing that....
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby Jujulia on April 17th, 2012, 9:23 am

bobajojo wrote: I can feel it during the day as well but laying in bed is when I really feel it on my tongue. Its frustrating because I just don't see it calming down. I've never really had a decrease in my twitching. The only symptom that has improved for me is the sleep starts. As my anxiety has come down, the sleep starts have disappeared. But my twitching just keeps hammering me.

Hey Matt,

I could have written your post (except for the burning house part!). I know how you feel, trust me. This condition is not always easy to ignore. Yesterday nignt my whole hand was twitching (one finger after another, thenar muscle, etc.). I also had a strong hot spot in my wrist that everyone around me could see and feel. A couple of days ago, it was my face: everything was twitching, my lips, my nose, my cheeks, everything! About the tongue... you know that I'm a tongue twitcher too, I can feel little twitches anywhere: in middle of my tongue, on the sides, under my tongue, on the palate, etc.

It's also much more easy for me to induce twitches now than when this whole thing started (e.g. when I strech, yawn, sneeze, etc.)

Anyway, I hope you feel less alone now :D

Oh... I've been twtiching for 20 months, 24/7.
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby twitcherHH on April 17th, 2012, 9:40 am

I absolutely know how you feel, I've been through that many times. When I read your post right after your visit to the Mayo-clinic I knew instantly that this wouldn't be over for you and that the doubts and fears would come back. Why? Because this is part of a vicious circle that I've been through many, many times.

There's the euphoria and relief just after a clean EMG/neuro visit/full checkup at Mayo. But the twitching is still there. It won't get better because you rationally know it's harmless. Anxiety isn't rational. And if you keep thinking about the twitching and read or even post about it here, your anxiety will only get worse. And thinking every day about the fasciculations that are still there even though you're not anxious anymore is like trying to force yourself to fall asleep.
Last edited by twitcherHH on April 18th, 2012, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Snoookie on April 17th, 2012, 9:48 am

Hi Matt

I have tongue twitching started about 6 weeks ago for roughly 3 weeks was all day long and now have some easier days tho not gone, i can see them in the mirror and i have taken a short film on my camera....seen mainly of the left a tug back twitch, crazy flutter, and popping up n down in the middle towards the back, sometimes feels as tho it freezes for a few seconds....also i can sometimes feel it behind my nose, without fail every morning since it started within seconds of full wakefulness its off and when lying down its seems to twitch more.........i have had these before in 2003 and 2007 tho short lived and during a stressful time......i have other twitches more fleeting in calves toes eyes arm shoulder tummy and buzzes behind knee to foot so i reckon tongue twitches are a hot spot for me as well..........
Snoookie

Postby Issi on June 11th, 2012, 8:54 am

Hello Matt,

I have a hot spot on my tongue all day long and speaking is hard today, stumbled over my "s" again.
I am so bored with this stuff I can`t tell.

Just wanted to let u know so u are not alone. I am also angry about myself that everything "new" freaks
me out. Thought it must be possible to let this anxiety behind me but it really seems to be a constant struggle
"which we will win sooner or later" 8)

Feel hugged
Ines
Issi

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS