A Day in the Life.....

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

A Day in the Life.....

Postby bobajojo on April 15th, 2012, 7:44 am

I've always thought that it helps people to read detailed descriptions of other people's experiences with BFS so I thought I'd write up a typical day for me.....

Yesterday, I woke up and my pinky toe was twitching "machine gun" style. I'm talking like 3x per second. Its been doing this for about 6 weeks now. It happens every single morning and it usually stops when I get up and walk around, although there are times when I'm up walking around and its STILL twitching. So there I am still too lazy to get out of bed and along with the toe twitch, I could also feel my calves bubbling and popping as they have been doing 24/7 since this all started for me and my tongue fluttered 4 or 5 times in a span of 10 mins. Then I stretched out. My left shoulder let out a loud CRACK and the stretch set off a series of flutters in several muscles. My entire shoulder girdle, thighs, lower back, abdomen... all started to flutter, twitch and pop for the next few minutes before finally settling down to just a few random pops a minute. Just a normal morning with this crap for me.

During the day, it doesn't let up. I was at my sons teeball game in the morning and I was standing there with my arms crossed. The tips of both shoulders were popping away, my back was fluttering and that pinky toe was "machine gun" twitching even though I was standing and putting weight on it! I also felt quick twitches on my tongue throughout the day. At one point, I made the mistake of checking it out in the mirror. All I have to do is irritate my tongue by pressing it against the roof of my mouth or pinching it between my lips and I can clearly see true fasciculations on both sides, the tip, and right in th middle. After irritating it, I can see 5-6 fascics appear like real quick dimples and then it settles back to random twitches every several minutes. If you are a tongue twitcher, you know how much these suck! I hate them.

So fast forward to the end of the day. I was on my couch watching the Red Sox game with my feet up on the coffee table. The sun was setting and the light was coming through my window and was shining on my legs. Although I could feel SOME twitches on my legs at the time, I had no idea how much it was actually twitching. With the sunlight on my legs, I could see very rapid indentations firing off every second on both legs and both feet. I had flickers appearing on the tops of my feet, toes moving, and I even took out the stopwatch on my iphone and counted how many twitches I could see in my calf in one minute.... 48!

At night, it was more of the same. Pops in my back, forearms, hand, legs, feet, tongue, neck.. you name it. There are times when I have several muscles firing at the same time. As my anxiety has come down, I've stopped getting sleep starts so thankfully I am able to drift off to sleep despite all the activity in my muscles. I have no idea how this all started or if it will ever go away. Hopefully, you guys can relate and if you're having a bad day, maybe this will help you to see that other people are having the same day you are!

-Matt
P.S. I woke up today with that same pinky toe firing away and as I'm typing this, the underside of my thigh is thumping away!
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Re: A Day in the Life.....

Postby plainslady on April 15th, 2012, 2:18 pm

Matt,

Your posts are great. You and I have shared our experiences with health anxiety, and I for one receive tremendous relief knowing I'm not alone. Hearing a been there, done that story is great therapy! Once my anxiety about this faded, I began to find the best thing I can do is help other people like I was helped when I first posted here. You, my friend, are helping so many others by opening up about your experiences. Thanks so much for that! I hope the day comes soon for you when your symptoms let up and you can experience a little physical peace.

Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby bobajojo on April 16th, 2012, 8:57 am

Thanks Frances. Anxiety has been way down for a while now but twitches keep progressing.... BFS is no joke!

For those of you with sleep starts, I can tell you that for me personally, as my anxiety decreased the sleep starts got much better. I wish I could say the same about the constant twitching all over my body but I'll take what I can get. So if you have sleep starts, just know that if you are able to get your anxiety under control, those could very well go away.

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby Ghayes420 on April 16th, 2012, 10:36 am

Thank you very much for sharing this Matt. I appreciate your detailed reports and positive attitude about BFS.
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Postby plainslady on April 16th, 2012, 11:04 am

Matt,.
I think it's important to point out something you mentioned. This doesn't go away just because the anxiety lessens. I fell into that trap at first, thinking that if I could get my anxiety under control the twitches and other junk would cease to exist. When I did finally get back on the anxiety medications I mentally felt great but the twitching remained. This freaked me out because I had misunderstood what BFS is. I believe I was going to get BFS anyway, and the tremendous health anxiety I was going through at the time of onset sped up, or intensified my symptoms. Certainly, when your nervous or immune system is in high gear, dumping mega doses of adrenaline into your system is not going to help the situation.

So if you're a newbie, and you read this, please rest assured that you can and will still twitch, cramp, buzz, tingle, feel tightness, etc. even after getting your anxiety under control. Don't let yourself believe there is something else going on because your symptoms don't disappear even though you take SSRI's, SNRI's, benzos....etc. for anxiety. BFS existed independently in my case, but heaping loads of health anxiety on top of it was like pouring gasoline on a fire.

Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby TwitchyDoc on April 23rd, 2012, 4:28 am

Very similar to me..
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor