Distractions, chickpeas and beating BFS

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Distractions, chickpeas and beating BFS

Postby PetrifiedGuy33 on March 26th, 2012, 4:26 am

I have had major anxiety/scares abut you know what for about 6 months

I remember days when I thought I wasn't pronouncing words correctly, days when I thought I was drooling, days when I thought I couldn't swallow properly, days when I thought I couldn't walk properly, days when I woke up in the middle of the night, days when I got sudden pains in hands and feet, days when I got constant twitches in the same place - you know what all these things had in common, I was thinking about them too much, I was focusing on them.

A little experiment, think about the back of your neck or your right index finger right now, constantly focus on it, constantly have it in your mind, if you do this long enough I can almost guarantee you will imagine some strange sensation or pain.

We are anxious and oversensitized.

How did I manage my fears?

First, I went down the neurologist/EMG route, that was fine but I still had doubts, I still had twitching, something must be up right? My mind couldn't let go, my rational mind needed some kind of diagnosis/explanation - that was my mistake so I kept on focusing, I kept on googling, I kept on analysins, I kept on questioning every twitch and sensation.

What happened in the last few weeks? My mind was just completely consumed with starting a new business project - and guess what, I stopped noticing the twitches, having the pains, thinking about my gait/walking etc etc....my thenar muscle which has twitches for about a month straight has stopped.

Don't get me wrong, I still twitch now and then and will probably have another scare or two but I am ready to let this go now, it takes a while, it takes a lot of extreme lows and anxiety but in time you will accept this and gradually your mind will turn to other tihings - that's the key, distracting your mind from the obsessional focus on twitches, limbs, sensations.

on a side note, I have had very very few twitches in the last few days and all I have had to eat in the house was chickpeas basically, not sure if they're releated but if the placebo conned my mind into thinking that then so be it - although I don't want to eat chickpeas for the rest of my life :D ......and in any case stage 1 of recovery is accepting the twitches, realising they are meaningless and getting your mind to focus on more fulfilling things, a new hobby, a new career, a new partner, whatever, take your mind elsewhere - it works!
PetrifiedGuy33
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Distractions, chickpeas and beating BFS

Postby MarioMangler on March 26th, 2012, 10:43 am

^ there is much wisdom here. Great post!
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on March 26th, 2012, 6:19 pm

Great post. BTW dont give up on those chick peas

MAKE HUMMUS

http://humus101.com/EN/2006/10/14/hummus-recipe/

I always add a couple of chopped firey red peppers :wink:
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on March 26th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Great post. I'm glad you found ways to manage your anxiety. Well done.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS