upcoming emg and ncv

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

upcoming emg and ncv

Postby tessa on March 19th, 2012, 8:00 pm

I have emg and ncv scheduled for this thursday and have to admit that I am scared to death! Has anyone else noticed that their symptoms and anxiety skyrocketed leading up to your appt? I thought I was handling the anxiety better after I found out my b12 was low because that gave me hope but the closer it gets the more it creeps back in. Thanks to everybody on this forum..it may be the only thing keeping me somewhat sane.
tessa

Re: upcoming emg and ncv

Postby Aoi on March 19th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Mine didn't change one way or the other, though I was a bit anxious about what I would feel during the tests. What is being tested and what if anything in particular is your doctor looking to rule in/out?
Hope the B12 replacement is helping.
Aoi
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tessa on March 19th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Aoi
He knows that I am very anxious and worried about als. when he did the clinical he found no weakness but brisk reflexes and although he did not say I believe I was positive for hoffmans. I noticed when he checked my hands he did it more than once and when I got home I googled and scared myself again. He did tell me he believed we would find what I am dealing with to be benign but still scheduled emg. Never really said exactly why. I hope that he was not holding back but he did mention bfs before I left as a possibility.
tessa

Postby tessa on March 19th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Oh and by the way I have not noticed any improvement with b12..hoping that maybe it just takes awhile. good to have hope I guess!
tessa

Postby bobajojo on March 19th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Tessa,
I will bet anything that your tests will be normal. I had brisk reflexes and positive Hoffman's sign on my first visit as well. Both are signs of high anxiety. Without weakness, it sounds like classic bfs. Hang in there and try to relax. Lots of bfsers have had both brisk reflexes and positive hofmans. -Matt
Last edited by bobajojo on March 20th, 2012, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby tessa on March 19th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Thanks Matt
your post about having positive hoffmans was probably the only thing that kept me from completely losing it!
tessa

Postby Jeanine on March 19th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Tessa, when I went to my 1st Neuro 6 months ago, I was so anxious I was nauseous! I freaked out cuz he kept doing a certain reflex test on my right foot over and over, I was convinced he was gonna tell me something was wrong (of course, he didn't)! Today, I saw a different Neuro, she did all the same tests and said all was perfectly normal. I was much more relaxed at this visit though, so therefore, she didn't have to keep doing tests over and over. Try to relax......:D (I know.....easier said than done....).
Jeanine

Postby Aoi on March 19th, 2012, 10:23 pm

tessa wrote:Aoi
He knows that I am very anxious and worried about als. when he did the clinical he found no weakness but brisk reflexes and although he did not say I believe I was positive for hoffmans. I noticed when he checked my hands he did it more than once and when I got home I googled and scared myself again. He did tell me he believed we would find what I am dealing with to be benign but still scheduled emg. Never really said exactly why. I hope that he was not holding back but he did mention bfs before I left as a possibility.

Having brisk reflexes is common here. So is having sluggish or absent reflexes, which is my case. I've had my fingers (and hands, elbows, knees, and feet) flicked, tapped, poked and stroked by neurologists, as well as a rheumatologist and neurosurgeon. Many of them did the "flick test" multiple times. I've had many positive signs, as do a lot of people, especially if they're anxious during the exam. But it's not necessarily clinically significant.

As others said, I too suspect your EMG will be normal (mine was), or if there are irregularities, they will be clinically insignificant. Do your best to relax before the test, not focus on worst-case scenarios, and keep in mind that your neuro is thinking BFS.
Aoi
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby colls22 on March 19th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Hi Tessa,

I was you last Wednesday before my exam - petrified and at the height of my anxiety, for sure. Every single one of my symptoms were going crazy; twitching galore, shaking, tired, etc. etc. etc.

Neuros can tell so much on your clinical exam, so if he didn't seem concerned, I sure wouldn't be! I'm sure your results will be fine. Please be sure to let us know!
colls22
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mwagner on March 20th, 2012, 10:19 am

I have never been more scared in my life while waiting for my EMG appointment. Honestly. I had a panic attack, and I was a total mess. I really hope that you can take a deep breath and realize that you're fine, but I know that is so easier said than done. So many people can relate to what you are going through right now. You are going to be very, very happy when you get the good news in a few days, and then hopefully you can put this behind you. The unfortunate reality is most of us don't completely put it behind us, and continue to worry - but at a much lesser amount. I hope you're one that can just walk away and put all your worries behind you.

Wishing you all the best for your appointment!
Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby tessa on March 20th, 2012, 11:16 am

Thank you everyone for your positive replys and well wishes. I will let you know on thursday how everything goes.
tessa

Postby colls22 on March 22nd, 2012, 7:08 pm

How did it go, Tessa?
colls22
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tessa on March 22nd, 2012, 7:58 pm

Hi Colls22
I posted on another thread but everything :D went great. EMG and NCV clear and diagnosis of bcfs! I am very confident in the diagnosis and the test. Ready to get on with living without fear! Thank you so much for checking in and asking!
tessa

Postby colls22 on March 22nd, 2012, 8:24 pm

That's so great Tessa! Must be such a relief :)
colls22
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS