My Neuro Visit Today

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

My Neuro Visit Today

Postby Jeanine on March 19th, 2012, 5:14 pm

I loved this Doctor! My appointment was at 10:30 and I didn't see her until 11:30 though, but I"ll take that as a good sign that she's thorough :).

After doing all the strength tests, etc, she said they were all normal and said, "I'd say you have Benign Fasciculations. Everyone gets them for different reasons." She decided to have me get bloodwork done to check for autoimmune problems like Myasthenia Gravis since I had JRA as a child and have Hashimoto's. She is going to give me an EEG next Thursday since I said I'm jerking at night. She said sometimes that can be Seizure related so she just wants to check, but it isn't anything to worry about. She said after the EEG she may put me on Klonopin for hypercentric movements. She said she thinks a lot of this might be due to sleep deprivation since I can't get back to sleep after waking up cuz of the jerking and twitching. She said I'd be amazed at what lack of sleep and anxiety will do to someone.

When she asked me how my stress level is, I told her it was fine until I googled twitching and ALS came up. She laughed and said, "Yeah, Dr. Google (she actually called it that!) can be good and bad. In this case, it's bad. Is that what you're afraid of? ALS?" I told her yes and MS and Parkinson's.....etc. She said, "You do not have MS or Parkinson's and I don't think you have ALS. ALS has different symptoms, as I'm sure you already know from Dr. Google." I told her about the numbness I had in my face and she said, "See, that's another thing, numbness is NOT ALS. Nothing I've seen here would make me think you have that."

Oh, another funny note, when we were talking about Dr. Google, she was telling me that when she was in Med School, she was convinced she had PROSTATE Cancer, which of course, she can't have! She was making a point to me about reading too much into things.

:lol:
Jeanine

Re: My Neuro Visit Today

Postby wjjw on March 19th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Hey Jeanine,

Glad you had a good appt.

I think the biggest danger that your twitching poses for you right now is what other people might think if they see you sitting in your car making videos of your twitching eyelid. :lol:

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby tessa on March 19th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Jeanine
I am so happy that your appt. went well and rest assured that the other tests will be just fine too!
tessa

Postby Jeanine on March 19th, 2012, 9:59 pm

ROFL Bill! You're too funny, and so right!!! :D

Tessa, thank you so much for your reply! It's much appreciated :D
Jeanine

Postby glitterwater on March 20th, 2012, 10:12 am

Your neuro sounds really thorough and kind. I wish I could have seen her when all this started for me. Your symptoms match mine exactly, twitching and jerking leading to sleep deprivation.

2 1/2 years later, I am much better but not completely healed. But well enough to be off the Klonopin. (I am still on Keppra that was prescribed at the same time.)
"O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me." Psalms 30:2
glitterwater
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chicagobfs on March 21st, 2012, 2:19 pm

Uhm she was in med shool and she did t know that she doesn't have a prostate? I hope she was kidding :roll: happy for your results ! Now it will get only better ;) yesit will !
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS