Coffee and Tongue Twitches

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Coffee and Tongue Twitches

Postby bobajojo on March 13th, 2012, 7:29 am

Interesting question for you all:

Has anyone noticed their tongue start to twitch soon after drinking coffee?

I stopped drinking coffee back in November as I was trying to get my anxiety under control. But I do cheat here and there... maybe once a week. Last week, my tongue was going crazy and I had just finished a coffee so I wondered if maybe the two were related. I know that coffee (caffeine) can make twitching worse in general, but now I'm wondering if coffee can make your tongue twitch specifically. My tongue hadn't twitched all morning and I just started drinking a cup of coffee and sure enough, it started zapping right in the middle. So I pinched my tongue between my lips and it twitched for a good 10 seconds, very strong twitches like electrical zaps. I'm really starting to wonder if either the caffeine or the heat from the coffee is triggering the twitch. Any thoughts?

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Re: Coffee and Tongue Twitches

Postby TwitchyDoc on March 13th, 2012, 7:44 am

Usually it is cold which provokes tongue to twitch because of the axonal irritability (remember e.g. Bfshopeful who mentioned twitch after eating an icecream) so I assume heat could have similar effect. I do not believe a coffee, even strong one, could do this. It increases excitability generally and it takes a while before it starts working.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby bobajojo on March 13th, 2012, 7:50 am

That's what I'm thinking Docen. It's not the caffeine, but the heat. I know how much you hate tongue twitches, but you should try it to see if makes your tongue start to twitch. -Matt
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby Aoi on March 13th, 2012, 10:22 am

I don't drink coffee. But the experiment to figure this out is simple. Try decaf versus regular coffee, served both hot and cold. Then repeat with tea in all four combinations. The total of eight data points viewed over time should sort out what if any trend exists.

Hot drinks and cold drinks have no particular effect on me, but caffeine can have a mild, general effect, as one would expect.
Aoi
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jujulia on March 13th, 2012, 11:24 am

I'm drinking an espresso right now and my tongue don't seem to twith (at least I don't feel anything)...
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby carphia on April 4th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Interesting topic Matt. I have a cup of coffee daily since bfs started, and I do not notice a increase in widespread twitching whatsoever. however, its funny that you feel that on your tongue as soon as you take a sip of coffee. I wonder if it has to do with the temperature of the drink? Do you drink your coffee pretty hot? ( i know that when i eat something very cold like ice cream my tongue starts to go nuts). Most likely i would assume it's just the caffine :)

Carm
"Sometimes, that mountain you've been climbing, is just a grain of sand...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEQj6RrQbgA
carphia
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Shanny63 on April 4th, 2012, 8:13 pm

hi matt, i was eating an icy pole the other day and
my tongue went haywire....so maybe it is the extreme hot cold thing that irritates our nerves and makes them twitch in our tongues...
Shanny63
Saint
Saint

Postby bobajojo on April 5th, 2012, 4:38 am

Shanny,
I think the same thing. My tongue started twitching almost immediately which makes me think it was not the caffeine. It was too fast for the caffeine to take effect. I think its the temperature change that irritates the nerves. -Matt
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on April 5th, 2012, 9:57 am

I agree with the temperature thing. It doesn't happen so much with my tongue as it does other places on my body, when I touch something cold for example, it will instigate twitches I have noticed. Interesting stuff!

BTW, I am having my first cup of coffee in about 5 months. My husband made a pot and I couldn't help myself. Plus I took a xanax last night to sleep and was super groggy. Man, I missed the caffeine and the taste of coffee.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS