Fun with Twitches-It's good to laugh

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Fun with Twitches-It's good to laugh

Postby plainslady on February 15th, 2012, 6:03 pm

I had the strangest experience today. I went in for my steroid injections today and when my doctor did both my L4/L5 and L5/S1 it started my twitches in my butt, legs, and feet like crazy! It was in the exact usual spots I twitch, too. Especially the backs of my calves and inside right above my right knee. I started laughing and he asked if I was laughing at my twitchy lower body and I told him it was freaking me out. He said because of the degree to which my discs have degenerated and my neural foramen have narrowed, adding the medicine into that tiny space put enough pressure on my nerves to set them off.

We sat there and laughed at them for awhile, and then I told him about the whole BFS experience. He said I'm not the first patient of his to experience twitching like that and there have even been others who feared MND just like me. Evidently, I'm not the only crazy person in Kansas!!! :lol:

It felt good to share my story with yet another doctor and get assurance yet again that I'm not the first and certainly not the last to experience this.

Only bad news of the day is that I have to head back to the neurologist to discuss possible surgery to open up the area in my vertebrae where the nerves are compressed. At this point though, I honestly don't care as long as I can finally get some relief for this nonstop nerve pain in my leg and foot.
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Re: Fun with Twitches-It's good to laugh

Postby Jujulia on February 16th, 2012, 9:55 am

Hello Frances,

I knew back problems could be related to that twitching stuff! I think now you know almost for sure that is your case. I wish I could explain my twitching problem that way too, but unfortunately my twitching is way too widespread for that. I know you have a lot of problems with your feet and legs, but have you ever twitched elsewhere, like arms/back/chest/neck/face for instance?

As for the surgery, I've heard that they only do it when the situation is not bearable anymore for the patient... However, I know a few people who did it and it went well for them and they feel much better now. So hang in there!
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby plainslady on February 16th, 2012, 1:20 pm

Actually I do twitch in my arms from time to time. When my anxiety was super high I would twitch in my face and neck, and still do sometimes if I'm really stressed or tired. Those are more like 2 or three in a day, but certainly not every day. Before I got on Google, the twitching was confined to my calf and foot, but once my anxiety spiked I twitched from scalp to toes.

My scoliosis stretches from C3 to L5, so its safe to say I'm curved, pinched, and narrowed from top to bottom. The worst part of my upper back curve is right at the nerve roots that control my arms, which could very well explain the arm twitches I get.

My neurologist told me without hesitation that my curved and compressed discs could be 100% responsible for my daily twitching. I also have fibromyalgia which is well known for bodywide twitching as well. So who really knows for sure? Perhaps a combination of both.

My plan is to hold off on surgery until its a last resort. Between the herniated discs, the bulging discs, the degenerative discs...where would they start??? :D

If I were to guestimate how much my twitching has slowed since August when this started, I would say I'm at 10% of what it was. My main problems now are sensory and pain. The worst is the pain that wakes me up 2-4 times a night. Two nights ago I got 1 1/2 hours of sleep. Last night I was up until 3:30 a.m.
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby Jujulia on February 16th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Do you experience a lot of back pain too? or would you say your feet and legs are worse? I also have little back issues and some days I'm ok with the pain but others it's very bad (like yesterday and today). Also, do you ever experience tingling in your back (around the spine or even in the scapula area)? I do, sometimes, and I'm sure it's related to some kind of muscle irritation (caused by spine or vertebrae problems)... But the question is: can muscle irritation around the spine cause some kind of nerve irritation that could result in twitching? (sounds too easy...)
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby plainslady on February 16th, 2012, 3:50 pm

I used to have lots of back pain. Anymore its more of a tension and constant ache in my back. The pain is mostly in my hips, legs, and feet. I do have tingling in my lower back and tailbone, but I'm not sure what causes it.
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS