like fishing

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

like fishing

Postby whatmeworry on February 6th, 2012, 6:08 pm

So I was thinking about how to explain what the twitching feels like to my parents, and I think I realized the best possible metaphor for my father: fishing. :D

You must be at one with your fishing line. Its all about the tugging and pulling sensations in the line that tell you 1) what is biting, 2) when they are biting, and 3) when to react. So the tension in your line, and how you read it, is your primary means of sensation. Being twitch centric becomes somewhat similar :)

There are three basic classes of my twitching:

Class 1: Lots of Little Fish
Sometimes, when you fish with live bait, lots of little fish will find it and start nibbling on it. This feels like lots of little tapping on your line (muscle) and it comes and goes in waves that last 5 to 20 seconds. It can come and go all day if you don't move your boat.

Class 2: Bottom feeders (like bass for you fresh water folks)
These fish suck in your bait as it drifts buy. At first, you just feel this suddent tension, or slow pulling on your line. But then about a second later, if you pull back right, there is a pulling sensation that starts repeatedly wriggling. As you pull up your line, the fish gets tired and stops, but then a little while later it will start again. This will continue until you either catch the fish, or suddenly it gets off the line, and then everything gets quiet.

Class 3: Big Predator Fish
This is the big one. You're just sitting there with your line, enjoying the water, when **wham**, your line suddenly tugs and then pulls so hard you can barely hold on. It draws all of your attention and arouses a sense of danger. And just like that, its gone. Stole your bait.

So there you have it. BFS is like fishing.
what, me spell?
whatmeworry

Re: like fishing

Postby Jeanine on February 6th, 2012, 9:49 pm

Good one! :)
Jeanine

Postby chicagobfs on February 7th, 2012, 1:27 am

Like it:)
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Postby mike fla on February 23rd, 2012, 5:01 pm

I like it but I wonder if your father will think you are crazy.
mike fla
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on February 24th, 2012, 2:02 am

That is really cool and I think that description fits well. But I want to agree with Mike LOL.....
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS