Back from 2005 to say I am still alive and kicking!

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Back from 2005 to say I am still alive and kicking!

Postby Christina on January 26th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Hi, my name is Christina...I have not been on here for a very long time. I would like to tell you why. I have been busy living my life. I would also like to tell you that my life is all sunshine and flowers, but no...it's just a regular life with its ups and downs. One thing it isn't is filled with fear of ALS. This was not always the case. I don't know if you can go back and look at some of my first posts on here, but I was TERRIFIED! You know the story, I imagine it is similar to so many of yours. It started with the twitching that would not go away...twitching that spread all over, I twitched places I didn't know existed. I had pain, I had weakness..some real and some most likely imaginary. It took me a long time to go to the Doctor to get reassurance ( and it took me a while to believe the Doctor) If it wasn't for a few kind souls who put up with me on this wonderful forum I would have lost my mind. This is a wonderful place, and I should know I spent every night on here for months. I couldn't wait for the kids to go to bed actually so I could come on for my daily reassurance, that turned into daily fun ( really, we had fun on here too) Use this place, print out the FAQ pages....all of them. I did, and I carried it in my bag. I would get a panic attack when driving thinking about my illness, I would pull it out and re-read it. REALLY, I would. It helped. Everything in FAQ is true. DO this!!

I have fibromyalgia, am sometimes in pain, and still twitch ( though that has really calmed down, and comes and goes) I rarely worry about it, sometimes I will worry about something ( I am a life long hypochondriac, and old habits are hard to break) But...oh the agony I put myself through for no reason. Please don't do this to yourselves. You are not going to be the one exception to the rule, you really aren't.

I believe that everything happens for a reason, I guess I got BFS and came to this web site to learn something...maybe to not worry about things that were not going to happen, maybe to help other people after I went through it, maybe to meet people who suffer from this as well.....I met a few wonderful people who meant more to me than they will ever know, they saved my sanity, out of terror ( and it was for me) some good happened.

The best thing that I can say is that I rarely come here....it was my life when I needed it to be, but then I went on to live with my illness ( the illness I finally realized wasn't going to kill me) and live my life off of About BFS. I really should drop in more and pay forward what was done for me, and I will try to remember to do this. A wonderful person who was a lifeline to me here, reminded me that I should do this...and I thank him...he is always right!!! Once he told me that I would be fine, and if I only listened to him right away I could have saved a lot of time spent worrying and used it for living instead. Please listen to me, and believe me... I joined here 2005, 7 years ago....I'm still alive and kicking. I will pray for each and everyone of you to have the good fortune I did, and know you are going to be fine...you don't have ALS ( gosh once I couldn't type it, say it...and if I saw the initials I would get dizzy, really) Now I am free from the worry of it. I wish you all the same. I wish that all of you will soon just be stopping in here once in a blue moon to reassure other newbies, then off to live your lives.

Now I am going to try to change a 7 year old avatar that was put on here when I could barely figure out how to get a photo on the computer!!!

Be well, because you all are. Good bless!
Christina
Christina
Saint
Saint

Re: Back from 2005 to say I am still alive and kicking!

Postby twin2 on January 26th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Thank you for taking the time to check in. I remember reading these types of updates as a newbie and wishing I had so much time under my belt. I was convinced I would be dead by then. Isn't that sad? Anyway, it is nice of you to pop back in and remind everyone here there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Take care!

Becky
twin2
Saint
Saint

Postby Ghayes420 on January 27th, 2012, 12:42 am

Hi Christina,

Thank you so very much for coming back and reassuring us all about this benign condition. You takin the time to type out the above in such detail does absolute wonders for us newbies. Reading your post before going to bed will help me sleep much better tonight. :)
Thanks for checking in. It is great to see the older members pay it forward like that.
Many thanks and good vibes your way,
Greg
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Postby Shanny63 on January 27th, 2012, 3:20 am

Thank u Christina, it is a great comfort to newbies and not so newbies to read about someone who has had bfs for so long...and it's good to know that u overcame all your ALS fears...I'm so looking forward to that day....thank u again.... :D
Shanny63
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on January 31st, 2012, 10:44 pm

THERE you are, girlfriend! I thought you'd left me here, all on my lonesome. :)

This was a GREAT post from a fabulous lady!

We never did do that lunch we were supposed to. Perhaps we might wrangle up a couple of others and finally do my hot tub. :twisted: Except now it will have to be in New England and not New Jersey. :roll:

love and hugs, my dear.
Suzi
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby fox2run on February 1st, 2012, 5:01 am

Shanny63 wrote:Thank u Christina, it is a great comfort to newbies and not so newbies to read about someone who has had bfs for so long...and it's good to know that u overcame all your ALS fears...I'm so looking forward to that day....thank u again.... :D

Why not skip a few years and start right away?
fox2run
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on February 2nd, 2012, 12:59 pm

Good to hear from you, Christina. I remember you from when I joined the forum. Thanks for stopping by.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS