Tongue Twitching Video

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Tongue Twitching Video

Postby bobajojo on January 18th, 2012, 6:39 pm

I just posted this on the video thread but I thought it warranted a separate post as well. Tongue twitching is very difficult to get on video and I finally got mine. Can anyone relate to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyC4CPCY ... e=youtu.be
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Re: Tongue Twitching Video

Postby Barbie800 on January 18th, 2012, 6:45 pm

My tounge does the same thing. I'm not even sure if these are actual twitches. When I look in the mirror my tounge is constantly moving. If my tounge is at rest in my mouth I sometimes feel it jerk. This is what I consider actual tounge twitches. Also, your sticking your tounge out. When my neurologist examed my tounge he made me lay it inside my mouth.
Barbie800
Saint
Saint

Postby Shanny63 on January 18th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Hey Matt, if your tongue is sticking out your actually making your muscles work...so that looks perfectly normal...when my tongue is at rest in my mouth that's when I feel my twitches.... :shock: ..but I know tongue twitches drive me crazy too..lol
Shanny63
Saint
Saint

Postby bobajojo on January 18th, 2012, 6:58 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I know that even the slightest movement of the tongue can cause it to look like its twitching so I try to keep my tongue completely at rest, even when its on my bottom lip like that. I believe that it was truly at rest. I also get frequent "thumpers" on my tongue which I did not capture on video... still working on getting those. -Matt
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby twitcherHH on January 19th, 2012, 3:31 am

This looks perfectly normal to me, and your tongue looks very healthy. I have a constant twitch at the tip of the tongue that I cannot feel, but see as a flickering of a single small area going on for 11 month now. My tongue also has really deep teeth-marks around the edge.
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on January 19th, 2012, 3:56 am

Hey, sooooooooo cool you finally cought it :)
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on January 19th, 2012, 6:09 am

Does not look like tongue fascciulations. You would need to let it rest on the bottom of your floor and shoot from above, ideally with tangential light so the contours are well visible. Tongue fasciculations, often occur at least twice in the same bundle, ie you get two twitches at one place.
Do you feel these?
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on January 19th, 2012, 6:36 am

I actually get all that movement you showed there a lot when I stick my tongue out, it is never calm "outside" . But my actual tongue twitches are more like the on-off flickering of one single fiber , that has a very clear cut dent in the middle of my tongue. But I can easily get my tongue doing "your" stuff by pressing my teeth against my front teeth.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby twitcherHH on January 19th, 2012, 7:15 am

OK, this is madness and I'm already anxious through the roof. But here's my tongue fasciculations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C-ClQB99oQ

I'm very worried about them, mostly because the teeth-marks and the fine groves on the surface may well be atrophy and the twitch is constant 24/7. Then again, the appearance of my tongue hasn't changed in the last 4 years, and so far my neurologists don't seem to care much. I can still talk, eat, move my tongue and tent my cheeks...

Enjoy...
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on January 19th, 2012, 7:23 am

What TwitcherHH has, that is fasciculation. The same I have. However its great different from those seen in ALS - those are multifocal, meaning they is happening on many places irregularly, not just on one.
Would you mind me to post this video to prof. Carvalho?
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby bobajojo on January 19th, 2012, 7:34 am

TwitcherHH,
That is exactly what my tongue does, I must not have captured it well on video. I also get a few "thumpers" which are very easily seen and much stronger.
-Matt
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby twitcherHH on January 19th, 2012, 7:34 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:Would you mind me to post this video to prof. Carvalho?

Hey, it's on YouTube, so... :-)
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on January 19th, 2012, 9:39 am

Hey, Twitcher HH; that is exactly what my tongue does :)
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on January 19th, 2012, 2:15 pm

TwitcherHH - do you clench your teeth/have bruxism. I have the same teeth marks, but i know it's because I clench my teeth and that bites down onto my tongue.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby twitcherHH on January 19th, 2012, 3:04 pm

mwagner wrote:TwitcherHH - do you clench your teeth/have bruxism. I have the same teeth marks, but i know it's because I clench my teeth and that bites down onto my tongue.

Yes, and my teeth don't line up properly on that side, so there's plenty of room for the tongue to get sucked into.

Looking back, I became really obsessed with my tongue some years ago because of this supposed atrophy, so I constantly tested my tongue. When I forcefully stuck out my tongue, that little spot that now has the fasciculations, formed a little dent for one second, and then went to back to normal. I did this so many times that the underside of my tongue got sore and bloody from rubbing against the teeth. Some month later, the little dent twitched two or three times, and then went quiet. Then I discovered I could provoke some bad twitching by pressing my tongue against my teeth. This is when the twitching became constant. So be smarter than me and don't do that, I'm looking at you, bobajojo ;-).
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Experiences with BFS