Waking up with numb extremities?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Waking up with numb extremities?

Postby Spiggle on December 24th, 2011, 10:15 pm

Hi guys, merry Xmas to you all!
I was just wondering if any of you wake up during the night with numb extremities? I wake up on numerous occasions with numb hands, I used to attribute it to the way I was sleeping untill I started waking up with numb feet, and what feel like numb patches of skin on my skin. I'm totally scaring myself as I have read it could be another symptom of MS?
My anxiety level is through the roof at the minute ;-( what's ur thoughts guys?
Spiggle

Re: Waking up with numb extremities?

Postby Wells05 on December 24th, 2011, 11:26 pm

merry Christmas! Oh my gosh I get horrible numbness! My hand and fingers fall asleep almost everynight. In fact last night I woke up with half of my hand dead! Scared me so bad. so yes allot of us have this. Ashley
Wells05
Hero
Hero

Postby submarine on December 24th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Merry Christmas! I just felt numb in my fourth and little finger after waking up in the morning. This is the first time I feel it.
submarine

Postby Shanny63 on December 25th, 2011, 1:12 am

hey guys merry christmas...i wake up most mornings with numb pinky and ring fingers...or thumb and pointer fingers..dr says its just the way i sleep with my arms above my head...nothing at all to worry about guys...ive had this for the last 20 years even before i got bfs...hope u all have a great christmas...hugs shanny
Shanny63
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on December 25th, 2011, 5:04 am

Merry Christmas. Take a look at my other posts. Apart from twitches I have numbnes/tingling ion both hands mainly at night, sometimes feet don't feel they belong to me at the morning etc... Don't worry... This points away from ALS...
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby Spiggle on December 25th, 2011, 6:58 am

Thank u guys 4 replying, means alot! I actually never worry about ALS. My fear is Ms, it terrifies me x
Spiggle

Postby johnnythejet on December 25th, 2011, 7:33 am

Numbness in my left hand seems like most nights at some point.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on December 25th, 2011, 12:06 pm

Sorry, I allways think everybody here is terified of ALS ;-) If you have no double vision and other problems it is most likely not MS either.
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby bobajojo on January 9th, 2012, 7:54 am

Woke up 3 times in the middle of the night and had numb fingers. The fist time was numbness in my left pinky and ring finger, 2nd time was numbness in my right thumb, index, and middle fingers... and the third time was numbness in my left thumb, index, and middle fingers. This happens to me every night. -Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby Wells05 on January 11th, 2012, 8:56 am

bobajojo wrote:Woke up 3 times in the middle of the night and had numb fingers. The fist time was numbness in my left pinky and ring finger, 2nd time was numbness in my right thumb, index, and middle fingers... and the third time was numbness in my left thumb, index, and middle fingers. This happens to me every night. -Matt

Me too! Exact same as matt, how weird! drives me nuts lol
Wells05
Hero
Hero

Postby kovitch on January 17th, 2012, 4:55 am

hiiii,

me too it 's more often now but me too I awake sometimesé with num and dead arm finger, right or left, both, I have that since a long long years ! the response is... we sleep in a bad position, exemple if you sleep on your arm your nerve will be crush or your blood have a bad circulation because that position.
this is my opinion :)
kovitch

Postby BobDownSouth on January 25th, 2012, 7:32 pm

I frequently wake up with numbness in hands. I had that before my fasciculation issues. If it goes away upon getting up, that would be a good sign. It is scary though! You may with to check with a neurologist if you haven't already.
BobDownSouth
Interested
Interested

Postby bobajojo on January 25th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Just talked to my neuro about this yesterday. As Bob said, if it goes away upon waking up, that is a great sign. It's most likely due to irritated nerves and our sleeping positions. If you sleep with your hands up on your chest, or if you sleep on your side this could do it. Either way, he wasn't concerned at all. Its certainly not a sign of something nasty. -Matt
Last edited by bobajojo on January 26th, 2012, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby plainslady on January 26th, 2012, 5:02 pm

I always wake up at night with my hands under my butt and they are totally numb. I also like to curl my hands up and put them under my chin when I sleep on my side. I finally wore wrist braces for awhile at night to give them a break because it was causing carpal tunnel. My husband sleeps with his arms over his head and he'll wake up numb and crampy from the shoulder on down.
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby Silverbullet on January 29th, 2012, 5:27 am

I awake at night will my hand totally numb. But is it blood supply being cut off due to maybe my hand resting in an awkward position?? Who knows
Silverbullet

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS