twitchy, tingle, crawly, muscle movements!

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

twitchy, tingle, crawly, muscle movements!

Postby tom.u on May 30th, 2004, 9:38 am

hello fellow twitchers. I have recently discovered this website and i find it very helpful and interesting. I am a 21 year old male and have had the twitches for over a year and have only recently been to the doc who has referred me to a neuro.
As i am sure you will agree it is a rather anxious time, but i am fairly certain i have nothing worse than BFS (no weakness, syptoms not got worse).
My main concern it telling people i have this odd condition and what there reaction will be. Also what is the experience of seeing a neuro like?
Any info would be much appreciated. I can live with the twitches, but the anxiety does sometimes get to me and it is good to know i am not alone!

tom
tom.u

Postby garym on May 30th, 2004, 10:24 pm

Tom,

With a year of twitching and no weakness/atrophy, I think you are in good shape. So don't sweat this garbage anymore. I've found that the anxiety that goes along with the BFS to be the worst part.

As for the neuro appt., it will probably quick and painless. The dr. will probably check reflexes, strength and sensory responses and none will be painful.

Good luck,
Gary
garym

Postby tom.u on June 1st, 2004, 6:37 am

Hi Gary,

thanks for the words of encouragement. I have lived with the problem for over a year and i (as i am sure many will agree) have learned to get use to it and accept it as a part of life.

does anyone know how many people are affected with this problem throughout Britain? I would be intrigued to find out how rare, or indeed unrare the 'illness; may be.

thanks

tom
tom.u

Postby Swed on June 2nd, 2004, 12:07 pm

Hi Tom!

I'm in the same spot and I've been for 4 years. Today, I found this place and it is STRIKING how similar the stories are to what I have experienced - I've been browsing the site for a couple of hours now and i can't believe it!

How did you notice your first twitches?

Garym: How did you notice you first twitches?

Best regards!
/Swed
Swed

Postby tom.u on June 4th, 2004, 5:33 am

Hi there Swed!

I first noticed the twitches in my buttocks in the middle of the night! Since then the twitches have spread to my arms, legs and face but thet have not got any worse and are just an irritant.

I am booked to see the neureo next thursday and will that will hopefully put my mind at rest.

Good luch with your appointment

tom
tom.u

Postby Pole on June 4th, 2004, 8:01 am

Yes, similarities to my own story was also unbelievable for me when I visited this site first time.

Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby Swed on June 4th, 2004, 4:07 pm

tom.u wrote:Hi there Swed!
I first noticed the twitches in my buttocks in the middle of the night! Since then the twitches have spread to my arms, legs and face but thet have not got any worse and are just an irritant.
tom

Hi Tom!

That's crazy... just like me... and after that I just couldn't get it of my mind... for 4 years now. Thanks you for your reply.
Swed

Postby Bradford on June 4th, 2004, 7:55 pm

Welcome Tom,

As new members are added monthly, daily and evenly hourly, I thought about my old college frat days and thought, new initiates really need to go through some hazing and initiation.

As I thought about longer, I thought there is nothing that we can do to new members that even equates to what they have to put up with from their symptoms so...

Welcome to the fraternity and may you graduate with honors!
Bradford
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Hi

Postby dont on June 4th, 2004, 8:02 pm

I suffered from morning sickness with my baby for 7 months!!!!!!! I remember thinking back on that and thinking I wanted to die well guess what? I would be willing to suffer that again many times over instead of BFS and the grief and anxiety it has caused and I'm not talking about minor sickness either. I'm talking puking everyday and having to take Zofran for 4 of those 7 months just to function. At least I knew for sure what was wrong with me and knew there was an end in sight.

Karen
dont
Hero
Hero

Postby garym on June 4th, 2004, 9:42 pm

Swed,

The first twitch I noticed was my index finger. That happened two or three times in a matter of a week. I thought it was odd, but forgot about. Shortly thereafter I noticed very small twitches in my calves. At that point I could see them but not feel them. Within a couple of months, the cramping and pain started.

Take care,
Gary
garym

My twitch history

Postby RexM on June 5th, 2004, 3:24 pm

I'm 59, and the twitching started nine months ago when I was 58. No explanation for what caused it......I hadn't been sick, and although I have "light/periodic" hypochondriac tendencies, I was in a period of no worries/no anxiety. I just woke up in the middle of the night with my left tricep twitching like crazy.......an hour later, my the calf of my right thumb started going. They stopped and started several times for about a week before the calves of my legs and my feet started almost non stop. Shortly after the feet started twitching, I began having light numbness in my toes, and then I began having sensitivity in the soles of my feet [I later discovered that there's a whole sub-set of us BFS'ers who have sensitivity/pain in the bottoms of our feet].
I've since had periods of almost total remission, but it always starts again after a few days. And, I've had twitches all over my body, including face, torso, arms, legs, feet, hands. The pain in my feet only seems to occur when the twitching is at it's worst.
But, hey, after being stressed out about possibly having ALS, this seems almost like a blessing!
RexM
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

My twitch history

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS