Terrifying Jerks

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Terrifying Jerks

Postby submarine on November 17th, 2011, 10:53 pm

I'm new to here, and not a native speaker. Please forgive my poor English. I experienced muscle twitch for 2~3 weeks. My eyelid, left triceps, back twitches from time to time and then I found here. My neurologist told me that it is not ALS by checking my strength and my muscle. However, I recently experience another terrifying sign. My limbs jerks suddenly. Just like when you nearly fall asleep, you might jerk. Does anxiety drives that jerks? I recently worried that I got Huntington's Disease even though non of my family gets one.

I know I have hypochondria. I googled diseases I worried, ALS,Spinocerebellar ataxia, Huntington's Disease. Now I think I got HD. My limb jerk, I feel a little unbalance when walk. I'm really nervous. Does anyone experience jerk?
submarine

Re: Terrifying Jerks

Postby johnnythejet on November 18th, 2011, 12:01 am

Lots jerk. I'm a jerk as well. Your symptoms sound typical of our benign condition. Try to rest easy.....you are fine.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby jbaine on November 18th, 2011, 12:10 am

Hello :)
I think you will find that many of us here have body jerks. I get them mostly when I am overtired or when my anxiety peaks. My husband works overnight through the week. He doesn't get a lot of sleep through the day. On weekends when he is home, I have noticed that his limbs and back jerk for about an hour after he goes to bed. He sleeps through it all.

Get some sleep and stay away from google :)
Jen : )
jbaine

Postby mwagner on November 18th, 2011, 1:17 am

Huntington's Disease is a genetic disease. If no one in your family has had it, I can't imagine there is a chance you would have it. People don't just get it, it's genetic. So, don't even think about it.

You're experiencing myclonic (sp?) jerks. Very common for the entire population to have these. You can google it - nothing sinister to it.

Hang in there!

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on November 18th, 2011, 1:20 am

Okay, I just googled it, and I want you to focus on the fact that the Wikipedia article says "they are perfectly normal". Don't focus on the other parts of the very rare instances that they mean something else. I didn't realize hiccups were myoclonic jerks as well! :)
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on November 18th, 2011, 4:06 am

I had hard times dealing with jerks in the beginning, now they have mostly gone
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby bobajojo on November 18th, 2011, 8:03 am

I also had a very difficult time with sleep jerks in the beginning. They finally went away after 4 months of twitching. It is definitely related to anxiety.

And don't worry about Huntington's. It is 100% genetic. I know because my grandfather, uncle, and cousin died of it. Thank goodness that my father does not have it so I can't possibly get it. So if it is not in your family (i.e. your parents don't have it), then you absolutely don't. Sounds like you are dealing with a lot of health anxiety which is likely contributing to your symptoms. -Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby submarine on November 19th, 2011, 8:40 pm

Thank for all the kind reply. It does comfort me a lot.
submarine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS