Did you have any warnings before BFS?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Did you have any warnings before BFS?

Postby plainslady on September 19th, 2011, 9:18 am

Hey everyone. I'm doing much better now that my anxiety is being dealt with, no more preoccupation with dying and NO MORE GOOGLING!!! I've been able to enjoy my family and friends, some football games and normal activities I'd given up thanks to the horrendous fear I was living with.

My mom and I were discussing my anxiety and my nerves the other day, and we found there had been some interesting indicators in the past that my nerves were on edge. Last winter I shivered all the time. It didn't take much cold to set me off. And it didn't even stop once I warmed up. I would continue to shiver long after everyone else was warm. I do the same thing when I get mad. I shake uncontrollably and it takes hours after I calm down for the shaking to stop.

I know I read a post (by Matt I think) about being hypersensitive...and I know that when I watch football games I get very nervous and my entire body feels electric. Even the slightest touch will make me jump or irritate me. While watching the boxing match Saturday night my husband just brushed his hand over the lower half of my knee and my foot flew up in reflex. It wasn't a tiny reflex, I kicked hard! He looked at me like I was nuts! Sure enough, I reached down and just touched that spot where they check reflexes and it was unbelievably sensitive. This morning that same spot is totally normal.

Of course when we go into the doctors office we are beyond nervous, and I know every time my reflexes are checked they are in hyperactive overdrive! I wonder if they would find my reflexes so brisk if they were able to check them when I was relaxed.

Anyways, that turned into a long rant. Just wondering about the shivering and shaking, the insanely brisk reflexes...what are your experiences? ~Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Re: Did you have any warnings before BFS?

Postby chrissi on September 19th, 2011, 11:33 am

For me it startet with permanent arms falling asleep when I went to bed. But I easily get "quivers" and have always been very sensitive for touch. E-G. I cannot stand being touched slightly on one place, like my hubby caressing my hand or my arm, after a minute or so my skin feels sore and it feels as someonewas rubbing me with a cheese grater....I cannot stant being tickled too, it makes me freak out.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby mommylondon on September 19th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Since my BFS started I can not handle abrupt loud noises, nor can I stand for someone to bump into me or step on my feet, bump my legs, or anything like that, it usually causes an exaggerated response out of me that can make me sound like quite the *B*.

As for warning signs before BFS kicked in...I first noticed things like insane itching on my chest and back...a sense in my right arm that it wasnt attached to my body (could have been early signs of anxiety starting with that one), and I had weird random pains in my body. Then followed very intense waves of panic and a sense that I had caught some kind of virus because I felt ill and very run down...then came all the other lovely symptoms ie twitching,buzzing,humming,numb feeling ect.

*beep* that actually made me stomach turn to type about the early days.

Take care

Robynn :D
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby Shanny63 on September 19th, 2011, 11:31 pm

Hey Frances, good on you for no dr google...proud of u...You seem to be going so well....I think my only warning before bfs got me was that my health anxiety and anxiety in general went thru the roof...I stopped sleeping well...every bone in my body was aching I couldn't concentrate at work, I was short tempered, and I got very emotional, if someone looked at me sideways I burst into tears...I also had odd buzzing in my feet before the twitches started....shannon
Shanny63
Saint
Saint

Postby kstoruk on September 21st, 2011, 3:34 am

Shingles.
kstoruk
Hero
Hero

Postby Lifewithbfs on July 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm

I did had bad anxiety, and all body wise pain , thought I have been some kind of bug bite like feeling, crawling on all over body, I hate those days, now i am liveing with this thing from last 7 months, and hate like any thing, I am crying each day badly, I have been dingnose with boderling glaucoma , have not Conform , have another test next months , then doctor will make dingnose :x :(
Lifewithbfs

Postby Yuliasir on July 18th, 2012, 12:03 am

I am badly anxious since 6 years old, so I did not notice something significant :) because after speaking therapy started in 37 years old EVERY day was an improvement in my anxiety so I was sure I am OK. However I had a single panick attack due to sudden (as I thought) phobia relapse and long term recovery in about 8 month before BFS onset, so I think now it was a warning bell. Infact, it was not sudden at all (I was owerworking, had a home refurbished, my daughter had somatic anxiety troubles scaring me to death, my husband chose relocation for 600 km out of of home etc.) - but I still felt better that it was with daily anxiety shots for years and decades...
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby twitchinjohnny on November 5th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Before noticing my muscle twitches, I went through a long ordeal with tingling, shock sensation, an other paraesthesia in my hands, arms, feet, legs, and everywhere else. I've also developed an essential tremor in both hands... mostly my left. Most distressing. Also, lots of migrating aches and pains with virtually no good explanation for those. My first suspicion was MS. A couple of MRI's and other tests caused my neurologist to rule-out MS.

I've struggled with pretty bad sleep-apnea for years. I've tried two painful surgeries and CPAP treatment to no avail. I'm sure that a lifetime of bad sleep is a contributing factor.

Aches, pains, stiffness, paraesthesia, tremors..... all on the list for BFS. I just didn't really come to notice the twitching until last June. Now I can't stop noticing it!

What a drag!
"If you're going through hell, keep going!"
Sir Winston Churchill
twitchinjohnny
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby BFSBurger on November 5th, 2012, 8:25 pm

chrissi wrote:For me it startet with permanent arms falling asleep when I went to bed. But I easily get "quivers" and have always been very sensitive for touch. E-G. I cannot stand being touched slightly on one place, like my hubby caressing my hand or my arm, after a minute or so my skin feels sore and it feels as someonewas rubbing me with a cheese grater....I cannot stant being tickled too, it makes me freak out.

This happened to me last week. My girlfriend was rubbing my arm (she thought affectionately) while watching TV, and after a short time it felt like she was rubbing a hole into my skin. It felt so harsh that I had to ask her to stop.

I'm sure that a lifetime of bad sleep is a contributing factor.

Story of my life. Without the apnea. Late to bed. Early to rise, unable to fall back asleep.
Or late to bed 3-4am for no good reason, waking up at 11am, repeat, repeat.
Always tired. Maybe 1 day of the week fully rested. Never caught up on sleep. Therefore Always exhausted. Always run down. For 10, 20 years.
We haven't been kind to our bodies .... :(
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby Floydian on November 6th, 2012, 3:22 am

For me it started with severe pain/sensory/parasthesia symptoms after twitching set in. A few months earlier I had 2 fractured ribs and my life was quite busy and stressful. I had some pain in my right shoulder and overall I was very tired. At that time I didn't pay much attention to it. I don't know if that were my warning signals but it could be possible
Floydian
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby edado69 on November 6th, 2012, 10:57 am

Anxiety and stress due to specific circumstances in a protracted space of time - 2 years -. Severe. Yet, this does not mean I would have considered myself anxious (worrying about things all the time, etc...)
Fasciculating from the 25/03/2007 (as accurately as I can recall!...)
edado69
Saint
Saint

Postby talltwitcher on January 30th, 2013, 1:14 pm

No warning for me. Was great one day then caught the flu. Then everything started jumping and twitching.
Well now, I am so happy I could twitch..... Hey, What was that? Huh, I didn't mean every cotton pickin muscle I have!
talltwitcher

Postby InzlKett on February 26th, 2013, 10:46 am

Mine started 20 years ago as this odd sensation in my chest. Like a bubble forming in there than the sensation would disappear very fast. The a faciculation appeared in my right index finger. I am under treatment for Bipolar disorder. The manic phases set this off very bad. Bipolar or the treatments for it are probably what precipitated this condition. Caffeine makes it worse as does sitting around. Fortunately I tolerate exercise well.
InzlKett

Re: one year and in panic mode because of tightness

Postby Lasszucken on March 14th, 2013, 2:55 am

For me it was tingling of my right bidy, arms, legs, foot. Stayed a few weeks, followed by dizzyness and then twitching.
No tingling anymore (only on rare occasions) nor dizzyness, just *beep* twitching.

Greetings,
Lasszucken
Twitching since about 1st of march 2012..
Lasszucken

Re: one year and in panic mode because of tightness

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS