My history . . . sound about right?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

My history . . . sound about right?

Postby speg on May 17th, 2004, 11:30 am

I started having twitches about seven years ago. I was going through a big stress event at the time, and someone at work noticed I had hand tremors. The twitches, fasc., and myoclonus soon followed. Like everyone else, I went symptom surfing and was terrified of ALS or MS. I went to the doctor who diagnosed me with familial/essential tremor and anxiety. The twitching got really bad . . . popcorn sensations all over my body, jerking of limbs, etc. My jaw would also jerk at night and I would bite my tongue. Paxil and Prosac made it even worse. The only thing that knocked out the tremor (which spread to my neck, but in an internal way) was xanax. I became addicted to the xanax and it eventually worsened the tremors. I also had "lump in the throat, " buzzing sensations in my feet, continual eye twitching, and ringing in the ears. I never went to the neuro because my shrink dealt with MS patients on a daily basis and promised me I did not have MS. I also have a cousin with MS, and she had different and obvious problems. I never had mucle weakness either. Anyway, I finally weaned off the drugs and most of the symptoms died down until recently. I had another big stress event recently (loss of a child) and have headed down the anxiety road again. I suffer from health anxiety as well and mild OCD. Currently, my problems include severe cracking and popping of ALL joints. My doctor doesn't think it is anything to worry about because I have no pain, swelling or redness. I also have full range of motion of these joints, they just make snapping, popping or clicking sounds with normal movement. I worry constantly and have self diagnosed myself will all sorts of things. I do suffer from generalized muscle pain in my wrists, arms, elbows and shoulders. My ears are ringing again, and I have had some minor stomach issues. Does any of this sound familiar?

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Hi there

Postby KimE on May 17th, 2004, 1:21 pm

Yep, all sounds familar. My joints were popping like mad but have slowed down due to the fact ( I think) that I no longer run and lift weights.

But, I too, get these fleeting pains or aches. Lately, it has been in my hands and wrists.

My muscle twitching has pretty much stopped. But I have been taking Xanax. When you say you became addicted, what do you mean--physically or psychologically? I have been taking two .25 pills daily for about a month.

I am not big on meds (I gave birth twice naturally) but I was a complete basket case. ~The Xanax has helped me, so that I am eating and sleeping again. But, I look forward to the day when I feel I don't need it. How did you wean yourself?

Kim
KimE

Postby speg on May 17th, 2004, 3:51 pm

Kim,

Did you ever ask your DR about the joint popping? I don't run or lift weights, however, I did run across an article that said both too much and too little exercise can cause it. I just find it very disturbing. Wish I could stop focusing on it!!!

I was physically dependant on the xanax. But I was on much more than you . . . about 3 mg per day! I had to go on klonopin to get off the xanax (longer half life) then ween off of it. The first three days off the xanax were living hell. My current DR will not give it to me, and I find that .25 to .5 at bedtime really helps me relax and sleep. I do not think taking them "as needed" causes a problem. My DR at the time had me on them 24/7. Who gave them to you?

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby KimE on May 17th, 2004, 4:10 pm

I did ask the first neuro about the joint popping. He just said everything was stress related. He was basically a jerk.

I did not ask the 2nd neuro about that specifically. But, I see many commenting about it. Also, I might add, when I go to yoga--I hear people cracking away.

About the Xanax my neuro first gave me some after I broke down and asked for something. He reluctantly gave me enough until my appointment with a shrink. Then, the shrink prescribed Klonopin. I couldn't take the Klonopin as I always got a headache from it and it wasn't helping me sleep the way Xanax does.

So, I went to my PCP for something unrelated and he gave me a new Xanax prescription. When I called the shrink he said Klonopin was the same family and if it was giving me a headache then Xanax would and basically he had no other alternatives to offer me. Then, he basically told me that headaches WERE NOT a side effect and it was pretty much impossible for me to be getting a headache from it. He was useless.

I have never suffered from health anxiety before but since the birth of my children I have worried a little excessively about "big" but probably strange things. Like after 9/11 I was petrified of a small pox attack, I was watching the SARS epidemic like a madman, etc.

But my health anxiety is off the charts. I am just convinced I have something horrible or else my body would not be doing these weird things.
And it's not even ALS anymore. I have moved on to other maladies...

Kim
KimE

Postby speg on May 17th, 2004, 5:54 pm

Kim,

In some ways hearing a doctor (even a jerk) say joint cracking is a stress-related thing comforts me . . . at least he didn't drop everything and test you right away for something.

My bone & joint doctor just looked at me like I was crazy. I passed the physical exam where they move your arms and legs, but wasn't able to do an x-ray because I am *ttc* right now. He said he didn't think it was anything and joint popping was very commonplace at their clinic. My big fear was rheumatoid arthritis followed by osteoarthritis in every single joint, but the doctor said no to RA because I would be in alot of pain with swellling and stiffness for a long time.

I know what you mean -- I have conjured up some other scary diseases, but ALS is not one of them. I went through that one seven years ago!
I, too, was terrified of a small pox attack. Gee, I totally forgot to mention that to the shrink today. She gave me a precription for Luvox, but you can't take it with xanax, so I don't know what to do. It's for OCD. I worry it may also cause the twitching to come back. Plus, if I get pregnant, I have to get off of everything.

P.S. I never did search joint popping + MS or ALS because I knew better! It came up in some forums of other diseases . . . however, I don't think any of those diseases caused it. I just think the people in those forums tend to blame everything on their illness. Maybe it is stress. I hope so.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

popping

Postby Jayel on May 18th, 2004, 1:16 pm

Kim and Peg-

Just a theory... I had the popping until I stopped 3x weekly chiro appts to adjust my neck. I am wondering if it is possible that our bodies release the muscle build up when we relax, and then the joints pop. Since both of you were taking meds that "relax" the body, as was I at one point along the way, maybe that is a possiblity. WE all crack from time to time, though, but I too was cracking all over the place. Not any more.

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby speg on May 19th, 2004, 8:14 am

Jayel,

Did you ever ask your DR about the popping and cracking?

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby Pole on May 19th, 2004, 8:31 am

Popping joints are connected with stress. I also had a lot of popping and cracking one year ago when I was convinced that I had ALS. I created a theory that popping is caused by muscle weakness - muscles are weak so jonts must work harder and they crack.

Stupid and false theory :mrgreen:

Popping joints are usually a sympthom of stress. In my case popping and cracking has gone after 2-3 months.

Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

pole

Postby barbo36 on May 19th, 2004, 10:09 am

Thats exactly what I did pole! I decided that my muscles were weak and making my joints work over time! I am glad it is wrong. Barb
barbo36

Postby TheyDon'tBelieveMe on May 20th, 2004, 2:38 am

I also made the false joint popping=weak muscles=ALS connection. The popping has stopped. And still no ALS dx.
TheyDon'tBelieveMe

Postby speg on May 30th, 2004, 12:25 pm

I ended up going and having my joints checked out and all x-rays were normal. I just wish I could get my left leg to stop twitching now!

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS