Do widespread fascics ever just stop suddenly?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Do widespread fascics ever just stop suddenly?

Postby bobajojo on July 24th, 2011, 4:17 pm

I realize that fellow BFS'ers who have had their twitches stop suddenly will probably not be visiting this forum too often but I just thought I'd ask this question. I am currently experiencing full-body twitching (the machine gun kind) 24/7. It never stops and it is happening in all muscles. My calf looks like someone is playing piano on it and as I type this, my shoulders, triceps, and padding of hands are all twitching as well. I've had an EMG and MRI done a couple weeks ago and although I won't get the official results until Tuesday, I was told after the EMG that it is likely benign. My clinical neuro exam was normal, with no weakness.

So my question is... has anyone experienced (or known someone who has experienced) widespread fasciculations that occurred for months or even years that suddenly just stopped? I'm hoping this will happen to me but at this point, I just don't see it. It's been 3 months of non-stop fasciculations for me and some cramping. I've lost a lot of sleep because my body is like a piece of bacon at night and my anxiety is sky high. I'm convinced that this is something horrible. I realize 3 months is nothing compared to others but just thought I'd ask. I am thankful to anyone who is willing to share their experiences - Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Re: Do widespread fascics ever just stop suddenly?

Postby MarioMangler on July 24th, 2011, 10:27 pm

I had full blown BFS for about 2 and a half years, and then it all just suddenly stopped. I had no twitching or fatigue symptoms whatsoever for about 8 months. So yes it can stop abruptly, and when it does you will probably miss it. My twitching has since come back (although much weaker than it was 3 years ago) and I no longer worry about it. One day soon you won't worry about it any more too. And I'm sure this won't be the last time it goes away and then comes back over the course of my lifetime either.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby Barbie800 on August 4th, 2011, 4:40 pm

I've had this for 2 and half years. Although I don't think it will ever stop, it has significantlly decreased. I went from 1,000's a day to 100's a day. Now and then though I get a crazy flare up but it always settles back down. I don't let it run my life anymore.
Barbie800
Saint
Saint

Postby dogma on August 8th, 2011, 5:38 pm

I've had twitching, buzzing, pins and needles, fascics since 2000. There have been peaks and valley's during that span. There are months that symptoms are so infrequent I barely notice. At other times I have somewhat widespread symptoms. Lately has been a peak (more fascics) with more symptoms than I can recall a year ago this time.
- Dx of BFS in Y2K.
dogma

Postby kstoruk on October 4th, 2011, 8:10 am

no, they don't unfortunately.
kstoruk
Hero
Hero

Postby trajon_34 on October 13th, 2011, 9:58 pm

I plan on being the first case :wink:
trajon_34
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby kstoruk on October 14th, 2011, 4:21 am

They can stop suddenly for arbitrary ammount of time but they return after a while.
kstoruk
Hero
Hero

Postby MarioMangler on October 14th, 2011, 10:51 am

Yeah I have had mine go away for months at a time. They always come back eventually, the key is you just have to learn not to give a s--- about them.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby bfshopeful on November 10th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Mine have stopped a few times for months at a time and then come back. But I have to agree with others that the symptoms get less with each flareup. Not saying that some days are not so bad that I want to scream, just that they don't stay as long and are less frequent. For me stress plays a huge factor.
"It's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."
bfshopeful
Saint
Saint

Postby seventhcandle on February 2nd, 2013, 3:11 am

I am bumping this thread because I want to ask a question related to it.

How long did it take on average for you to experience your first break from 24/7 constant bodywide twitching? And I'm referring here to people who've twitched non-stop, at least once every 1-5 seconds, since their BFS began.

Mine has been 24/7 since it started 7.5 months ago and has just gotten worse and worse. The intensity of the twitches is so hard now that it actually causes pain sometimes and my arms/forearms/shoulders and butt/legs/calves/feet go 24/7 non-stop.

I'm considering resorting to tegretol to get a break from this crap, assuming it works.

It gives me hope that there may be a break around the corner, but do these breaks happen for everyone or is it just some people who experience them, even without medication?
Been on the BFS journey since 6/26/12...

Twitch way do I go from here?

BFS does get better with time. Almost two years in and able to do almost everything I could do before I had this condition. Still twitching away of course...
seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Lasszucken on February 4th, 2013, 5:11 am

Im twitching since 11 months and I remember it stopped for about one and a half week approx. 5 months after onset. At last i did not feel any twitch at all nor did I see one.
Unfortunately it started again witch a twitching thumb and the complete program..
So it may just have been because I was not paying attention to them at that time (holiday in Sweden) or they really stopped at that time, can not tell for sure.

It was also very warm and sunny at that time, and I remember when the twitches came back i started getting colder and rainy. Will not draw my conclusion of this, but silently i hope that mytwitches will be less in summer again, when it gets warm and sunny outside :)

Greetings,
Lasszucken
Twitching since about 1st of march 2012..
Lasszucken

Postby edado69 on February 5th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Never here, I am afraid
Fasciculating from the 25/03/2007 (as accurately as I can recall!...)
edado69
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS