Expect to stop twitching?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Expect to stop twitching?

Postby Jayel on May 2nd, 2004, 9:44 pm

I just posted about a crease in my arm and after reading through some of the recent posts wanted to ask another question:

I was wondering, is there an "average" time that people twitch before they get a break. My neuro said people usually have a rest at some point but I really was hoping mine would come by now. It is about 7 months in and it my husband's father died recently which has stirred up some issues in the family. I know stress does not help at all...especially with a defiant teen and a husband working long hours on top of matters.

Sigh....back to reading: The Purposed Filled Life. Focusing seems to be the best thing to keep going and not waste time worrying. It is funny how everything seems so surreal when you are not feeling normal any more.

Life is precious, today was a healthy day and I am thankful!

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on May 2nd, 2004, 10:34 pm

Not to discourage you, but I've been twitching for 10 months and 5 days (not that I'm counting :? ), and it has only gotten worse. My dr. original told me that I could expect 6-9 months before improvement. The second dr. I saw said it could continue for years. I guess we better just get used to them, they may be around for a while.

Gary
garym

Postby Brian_B on May 3rd, 2004, 1:42 am

you may never have a break in the twitching. I havent for 2 years. it flucuates from day to day but they are there every day

so while it might never go away it wont kill you either. I know it probably wont go away but I have stopped worrying about it and I try to ignore the twitches.
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

I figured

Postby Jayel on May 3rd, 2004, 7:57 am

I could have guessed this was so individual that we can't project when or if. Thanks for the confirmation, it still helps to hear from others, even if it has been said before.

God's peace,
Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby marieclare on May 3rd, 2004, 8:37 am

SEVEN years and counting.....
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby thetwitchkid on May 3rd, 2004, 9:34 am

I have slowed significantly after 1 year. I still have them, but much less or I am not caring as much !! :lol: Didn't the Mayo study say the average is 4.5 years ??
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby kazar on May 5th, 2004, 1:18 pm

13 months for me. The odd bout in various body parts that might last for anything up to a week, but calves non stop. I don't feel them most of the time, but if I look they're there. I am totally used to them and certainly don't worry about them any more. I am nowhere near as clued into every twitch and shake, and being on Paxil for 4 months has helped greatly in this. I'm not recommending it for anyone else, but it has certainly done the trick for me.

Karen
kazar

How often do you twitch

Postby Jayel on May 5th, 2004, 3:12 pm

I should have asked this in my original post. I am twitching 10 or so times per minute on some days in different places-around the clock. Is this unusual?

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on May 5th, 2004, 3:18 pm

Jayel,

I don't think ten times per minute is unusual. I would call that a slow day :cry: .

Take care,
Gary
garym

Postby thetwitchkid on May 5th, 2004, 3:19 pm

Jayel:

Some twitch more, some twicth less,some twitch without ceasing. I now only have "random" twitches in random places. MUCH less than 6 months ago. I pray it will eventually fade away !!
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Random

Postby kent1915 on May 5th, 2004, 7:34 pm

I appear to get brief bursts in random places that are short lived. SOmetimes only 10 or 15 slow twitches inmy quads, sometimes a hundered in my scalp, internal vibrations. All I can say is one does not get bored with this.

8 months for me.
kent1915

Postby SusanSid on May 5th, 2004, 7:38 pm

I've had this BFS stuff going on 2 1/2 years. I think I had it even earlier, but I hadn't discovered the fine twitches yet, as I had many of the same sensations that I now know are fasciculations. I am almost 24/7 in the arches of my feet and calves. When I relax after walking I really notice them. I no longer have the cramping and burning in the feet that I had for months. I get random hot spots, such as an eyelid, elbow area, thigh, rib cage on and on. I have a fairly regular very fine one on the left inner wrist that I don't notice but can see and feel it with my other hand if I'm looking for it. Gee, we are so good at finding the slightest movement! ha

I go weeks and won't look for more, as all it does is get me worked up. The twitches are better on some days, but never go away totally. That would be wonderful if they did! Meanwhile, I try and just keep calm and not obsess about them. The minute I start to worry and examine them I find myself in a generalized anxious state....which makes them worse. So, overall, I'm doing well. My recommendation for others is to try and move on with your life and just accept them are part of who you are.

Sue
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS