BFS- Worse after exercise?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

BFS- Worse after exercise?

Postby brownale on April 19th, 2004, 6:29 pm

I've been freaking out over some muscle twitches that started about 3-4 months ago. I first noticed them in my feet, but after looking up muscle twitches on the internet and finding only info on ALS, they started to spread everywhere. (The internet and I have a love/hate relationship.)

I've gotten some fasciculations in nearly every muscle group from head to toe, but they definitely are concentrated in the feet and calves. (I read that that is normal, but I can only think about the exceptions to the rule.)

So the question: have you BFS'ers noticed an increase in twitching after exercise? Would this be the case in ALS?

Also, I went to the doctor the other day and they drew blood for tests...the very next day I got a series of big fascics in the exact spot they drew blood. I assume that they two things would be related, I've never had a twitch in that spot before or after, but I'm not sure it would be a good sign or not. Anybody had similar experiences?
brownale
Interested
Interested

Postby Bradford on April 19th, 2004, 7:47 pm

Brownale,

I'm an avid golfer who always walks and carries my bag (30lbs). I'm also and avid twitcher that started about the same time yours did. There is definately a correlation between increased activity and twitching.

By occupation, I'm on my feet alot including pulling. bending, climbing, lifting as well as performing fine motor skills. After a hard day, the twtiching definately increases.

I found for me that streching and hydrating (drinking water
and/or sports drinks-no cola) lessens the severity of the twtiching
when a hard day at work or play is expected.

We twtichers are constantly looking for the magic pill to make it go away and it may not be out there. I find that when I occupy my mind on the things that I like to do (work, hobbies, etc..) the twtiching is less noticeable.

Keep away from the "signs and symptoms" sites on the internet and keep seeing your doctor. Twtiching alone is not a sign or symptom that raises the concern level of the doctors. Unfortunately, these quick medical reference sites don't give us all the information about our symptoms and
cause more harm than good by saying that twtiching is a symptom of ALS or serious neurological disease thus it starts the cycle of worry.

In fact doctors look first at reflexes, muscle weakness and other things before considering muscle twitches an alarming sign. The internet sites never explain this thus bad information causes undo worry.

Hope this helps
Bradford
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS