Good Info: Neurological Symptoms/Conditions linked to Gluten

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Good Info: Neurological Symptoms/Conditions linked to Gluten

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 31st, 2010, 8:53 am

Here are some good web sources with of volumes of information. There are lots of medical papers and links documenting the direct ties between gluten sensitivity or Celieac Disease to neurological symptoms. Its worth a look see...

Read this one first:
The Neurological Manifestations of Gluten
http://sites.google.com/site/jccglutenfree/theneurologicalmanifestationsofgluten

Food Allergy & Leaky Gut Syndrome
http://sites.google.com/site/jccglutenfree/foodallergy

The Gluten File
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread1872.html

I hope this helps some of you.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Re: Good Info: Neurological Symptoms/Conditions linked to Gluten

Postby dreadpirateroberts on August 2nd, 2010, 6:47 pm

In fact I brought Celiac's up to my neuro during my last visit and he said that it was worth pursuing, so we had blood tests run for it. They came back negative, but just the fact that he thought it might be causing my symptoms would seem to indicate that it should be a standard test for us bfs'ers.
dreadpirateroberts
Hero
Hero

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 2nd, 2010, 7:30 pm

dreadpirateroberts wrote:In fact I brought Celiac's up to my neuro during my last visit and he said that it was worth pursuing, so we had blood tests run for it. They came back negative, but just the fact that he thought it might be causing my symptoms would seem to indicate that it should be a standard test for us bfs'ers.

deadpirateroberts, did they also test your blood for food sensitivities? As noted in the intro on the first link I listed above, you can have a gluten sensitivity with all of the symptoms of Celiac Disease, but not actually have Celiac Disease. I had the food sensitivity blood test done and it cost $120 (it wasn't covered by my insurance). It may be worth looking into in case all they tested you for was Celiac Disease. I copied and pasted the intro from the first link below. Also, I twitched for more foods than just gluten. I twitched for dairy and soy among others as well. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

SAM's first link wrote:It has long been accepted that neurological disease can result as a complication of Celiac Disease, due to nutritional deficiency caused by malabsorption.

What is NEW information is that neurological and neuromuscular disease may also be associated with a non-celiac gluten sensitivity, and may involve a direct immunological assault of brain, nerve, and muscle tissue.

This can occur without any signs of intestinal damage, which is the cornerstone for a diagnosis of Celiac Disease. Sometimes, intestinal disease will follow several years later. It is possible that neurological disease is the sole manifestation of gluten sensitivity.

The research regarding gluten sensitivity outside of Celiac Disease is ongoing, and therefore your doctors may be hesitant to acknowledge or accept it. In fact, they may not even know about it.

However, because diagnostic testing is available, and treatment is safe in the form of dietary changes, I don't understand why our neurologists are reluctant to explore this possibility of gluten sensitivity, and let patients know there is at least a chance they might be helped by diet. Neurological disease within the scope of Celiac Disease is indisputable.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby dreadpirateroberts on August 2nd, 2010, 8:12 pm

No he didn't, but as you can read elsewhere I just tried (and quit) the "alkaline food" diet that was recommended to me by a homeopathic doctor (he has a PhD, but not in medicine). I had zero gluten and no soy either for a month. It didn't make a difference in the twitching or my health in general.
dreadpirateroberts
Hero
Hero

Postby dreadpirateroberts on August 2nd, 2010, 8:13 pm

Also no dairy products during that time.
dreadpirateroberts
Hero
Hero

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 2nd, 2010, 9:32 pm

10-4, sorry I didn't see those posts before I responded. The food sensitivity blood test may still be worth looking into. Strawberries and tomatoes make me twitch too. It doesn't have to be the most common foods. It can be anything. I'm not insisting that your twitching is food sensitivity related. I'm just saying that it is still a possibility. It can be nearly impossible to determine by simple trial and error, which is why I mention the blood test. I wish you the best of luck in your quest for answers. I know how frustrating it can be.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS