Can anyone relate to these unusual symptoms?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Can anyone relate to these unusual symptoms?

Postby Moeman on February 17th, 2004, 9:14 pm

I'm a healthy 50-year old male and first noticed visible worm-like movements in my calves and feet 12/2003 but couldn't feel them. I brought this to my family physician's attention and he diagnosed fasciculations and did a full blood workup (all normal). Meanwhile I returned home, read the internet searching on fasciculations and learned they could be caused by a nasty NMD. Subsequently fascics started traveling throughout my body. Within a few weeks I was having them everywhere including my face, scalp, inside my ears, upper and lower body. Sometimes these are very frequent and best described as popcorn popping throughout my body. My doctor sent me to a neurologist who gave me a thorough exam and EMG on my right leg and arm which were both negative. Many of the fasciculations have toned down, but others have increased dramatically on my scalp (feels like someone is tossing sand granules at my head) at the rate of 5-10 per second at times. No pain is associated. Along with this "flickering" there are times I feel like my hands and face are in contact with a spider web. I work out daily and have experienced no weakness or problems with coordination. Almost all fascics stop while I'm working out but soon return and I experience them daily. My history includes lactose intolerance for the past 20 years, heavy consumption of diet soda (aspartame) (a dozen a day) for 20 years (stopped all caffeine and diet soda in early January '04), consistent use of glucosamine chondroitin complex (sulfate) since it hit the market (had a knee ACL augmented in 1988 and this supplement seemed to help), neuromas in each foot diagnosed in October 2003 treated with cortizone injections, varicose veins in my legs became noticeable October 2003, and the neuro's nurse pointed out very high arches in my feet. I was treated for a sinus infection November 2003. I must admit feeling very anxious and worried about the idea of ALS but feel good about the negative EMG and neuro evaluation. Just wondered if my history pointed to anything that others may have experienced as well. Thanks for the help.
Take care. Moeman
Moeman
Interested
Interested

Hello Moeman

Postby John on February 17th, 2004, 10:17 pm

Your story is similar to many others on here . No one knows for sure what causes BFS (although there are many opinions or here ) it is different with every case. We are as different in our physical make up as we are different in our experiences in life and we all react to different physicall ailments in different ways , other wise we would alll get over a cold in exactly the same amount of time . Just be glad that you have had a NEGETIVE emg ,and remember the word BENIGN.

I have over the past couple of months experienced a reduction of my fassiculations by about 90% . So hang in there, and good luck fellow Twitcher

John
John

Postby Moeman on February 18th, 2004, 7:42 am

John,

I appreciate your comments. A question that is most cncerning is the little "ticks" I have on my face, lips and scalp....have you or anyone else experienced these? At times they almost come in waves, several at once and may continue for hours before stopping for short while.

Al
Take care. Moeman
Moeman
Interested
Interested

Postby uber on February 18th, 2004, 11:18 am

Some very strange symptoms..im sure there are many dergrees of how BFS can present. I can say this doesnt sound like MND at all, especially with the clear EMG. Have you had an MRI of brain and spine?? that might come in useful to rule things out....keep us posted.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Dale on February 18th, 2004, 4:21 pm

Hi Al,

I wouldn't worry about the ticks. I get these as well. A few weeks back, I had a chin tick that lasted the entire day. I got home from work that evening and mentioned it to my wife. Later on she noticed it & we shared a good laugh...at least I think that's what she was laughing at!

I don't think your symptoms sound strange and although I'm no Doctor, I wouldn't worry about having an MRI - Uber says that MRI line to everyone!

BTW, I get that "popcorn" feeling all the time - you'll learn to get use to it. No big deal.

Dale
Dale
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Moeman on February 18th, 2004, 6:09 pm

Dale,

Thank you for your comments. When you describe the "popcorn" sensation does it involve your scalp and face with the ticks?

Al
Take care. Moeman
Moeman
Interested
Interested

same

Postby twitching man on February 19th, 2004, 12:29 am

Hi Moeman,
I also get the little feelings like there is a spider or some small insect is dancing on my face. Very light feelings.
paul
twitching man

Postby Dale on February 19th, 2004, 2:17 pm

Al - I notice the "popcorn" feeling more in my legs and feet. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with what you are experiencing. You've been to see a Neuro and have been given the green light. Try not to dwell on each "odd" sensation. The more you focus on this stuff, the worse it gets.

Dale
Dale
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS