Wonderful site!

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Wonderful site!

Postby spaz on February 16th, 2004, 2:31 am

Hello, I am new here and just discovered this forum about 1 week ago. I found the Q&A section to be extremely helpful! Anyway, let me give you a brief account of my story. It all started with a twitch in my left leg about a year and a half ago. I was just starting to fall a sleep only to be startled awake by my left foot "jerking up". At the time, I thought that it was just a random event and didn't think much of it...until it starting happening multiple times. Soon afterwards, the jerks starting happing in both ankles and then at the wrists and fingers. I noticed it mostly when I was stationary and when trying to fall asleep. Being a grad. student w/o health insurance I never got this checked out. Well, around December, I got the cold from hell. Infact, it must have been the flu. I held out for about a month before seeing a doctor after deciding that my cough was not getting any better. The GP thought that I might have pneumonia and prescribed a 10-day course of antibiotics which did not help. Now, after another month and a half my cough has completely gone away after which I started getting muscle fasciculation's in my forearm muscles. I especially noticed them while typing, and dismissed this as being the cause. A few nights later, I started having these fascics all over the place: upper and lower arms/legs, the arches of my feet, in my stomach muscles and back. Naturally, I scared myself silly by doing the infamous web-search and finding all the bad sites on ALS, Lyme etc. It has been over a week now and I have had good days and bad days with the fasics and have been having cramps/soreness in my left calf and thigh (as these are my "sweet spots"). I have experienced no atrophy or muscle weakness (though sometimes I get rubbery arms...especially upon waking) and suspect that I have BCFS. Plus, through this site, I learned that there is possible link between severe respiratory infections and BFS/BCFS. Seeing as I have recently graduated school, am a zillion dollars in debt and temporarily unemployed, I can’t afford to see doctor. Especially after my pneumonia bout, which cost me over $200!!! This site site has brought a lot of solace to me and I thank you all! What is ironic about all this, is that sometime ago, I had to do report on ALS for school... though in between then and now I had forgotten most of the details. Also, I had a guest visit at a hospital for a day where I had contact with advanced ALS patients. So, with their images in my mind, you can only imagine how much I managed to scare myself before refreshing my memory on how ALS progresses!!
Thanks again!
-Amy (a.k.a. Spaz)
spaz

Postby garym on February 16th, 2004, 11:58 am

Amy,

I have to ask my famous (infamous) question, what antibiotic did you take? A lot of people suffer adverse drug reactions to certain antibiotics that include fascics. Just a thought, let me know.

Also, i'm sorry that you're having problems, but you've come to the right place for support. I believe you will find the members on this board to be very helpful.

Sorry you're here, glad you found us,

Gary
garym

Postby spaz on February 16th, 2004, 11:21 pm

Hi Gary! Thank you for the warm welcome. The antibiotic that I took was Amoxacillon (sp?). I started getting major twitches in all my muscles around a month after I finished with the antibiotic.
-Amy
spaz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS