Beep is checking in after getting "well"

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Beep is checking in after getting "well"

Postby Beep on January 11th, 2004, 6:12 pm

Hi! It's been a long time since I checked out the site. I left it after getting well from my bfs. Just wanted to let you know that I went through a long period of no twitches whatsoever, but that twitches in my calf have resurfaced. They are in the leg that has nerve damage from a ruptured disc. I have been going through some stressful times and suspect that may have something to do with it. I have no symptoms anywhere else and I'm not overly concerned about it. I promised in my last post that I would let everyone know if my symptoms came back. That is why I have posted this today. I think the web site is looking even better than the last time I was on. I'm interested in the new info I'm finding in other's posts. You guys keep up your good work.
Beep

Just curious

Postby Jayel on January 11th, 2004, 9:54 pm

Hey Beep-

How long has it been between twitching episodes? Just curious...I am glad to know it may leave, but I am also glad to know it may return as well so I am not freaked out. I spent hours and hours and hours crying and on the phone/internet trying to adjust to the thought of the worst case scenario. I am glad I can spend some time here in this forum now getting support from people like yourself. I, too, have disc stuff going on but mine isn't severe and I don't really hold out much hope of it going away. Thanks for the post!

jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

copper treatments

Postby John_JR on January 17th, 2004, 9:32 pm

Beep, I’m very curious about your past posts. I searched and read you’re past postings (only found 4 messages perhaps related to a past server crash and possible lost postings??). Anyway, among your comments something you said struck me. I for one have been a huge advocate that one of BFS’s vectors is related to some type of pathogen. Weather it be viral or bacterial – I don’t know. You mention the use of copper, although from what I’ve read so far you never confirmed if the copper was actually connected to your BFS recovery, but for the sake of discussion lets assume it was. Therefore applying this concept, many would assume the BFS was cause by a copper deficiency, or that extra copper somehow enhanced your body’s ability to mitigate the BFS symptoms. I offer another possibility based on experiences with my fish – yes fish.

As a hobby, I enjoy saltwater aquariums, natural, reef style in particular. I have a variety of corals, crabs, sponges, and of course fish. When dealing with sick fish (bacterial infection or injured) one of the popular and effective treatment options in this hobby aside from antibiotics, are known as copper solution treatments. Saltwater fish are much too expensive to flush down the toilet; besides that’s just a mean thing to do. So many of us try to save our fish. We move the sick fish to a separate tank and spike the water with a copper solution (we cannot treat the whole tank with copper because it would most certainly kill other creatures like the coral and crabs). We even have a copper test kit to monitor and insure a therapeutic (non-harmful) level of copper concentration is maintained in the water for the duration of the treatment. Let me be clear, copper is both toxic to parasites and other living organisms in high concentrations! The idea in this concept is that a fish can hopefully tolerate higher levels of copper than the germs can thus killing or mitigating the infection. I really don’t know if chelated copper supplements could have a similar therapeutic affect on us giving a theory that BFS is parasite related. I’m just speculating my thoughts aloud right now. However, I would caution anyone against the use of any heavy metal additive or supplement (copper, silver, etc...) as most are simply toxic and can lead to long-term and even irreversible complications.

Disclaimer: (It’s sad I have to post this, but here goes)
Please don’t flame me on “humans are not like fish concept” or “copper isn’t the cure for BFS”. I know this! Every one is grown up enough to draw their own conclusions here. I am just simply toying with the thought of past posts from people like “Beep”s and “TimJA”s copper experiences, offering yet another alternative to why it may have been beneficial in these cases. Both Beep and TimJA have proclaimed to be “BFS free” and both have used copper in some way or form. A true clinical study on copper/BFS would be interesting. I am no doctor, nor do I proclaim to be one. However, in the eyes of my fish, I am their doctor ;)
John R.
John_JR

Other toxins possible

Postby Jayel on January 18th, 2004, 10:15 am

Dr. Fishman :lol:

I have read that mercury (fillings in our teeth) are linked to the dreaded disease about which we all worry. I wonder if it can bring about symptoms, without turning ugly. I, for one, have had 5 fillings replaced with more amaglam :cry: , which I will not do again, then began the twitching. I wonder if it is worth buying the test kits for mercury poisoning, or even just getting the actual "fix"which is sold on-line for about $50 and is an oral spray. I read an article in Reader's Digest on how a Dr. in CA found this to be the case after many unusual symptoms that no other doctor could dx. These patients suffered other symptoms like hair loss too. Anyways, we are all grasping. Too bad there wasn't an undergrad who wanted to do a study for their thesis/doctorate paper in med school or public health....a thought to ponder if we could get the word out.

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on January 18th, 2004, 2:34 pm

I read that article in RD too. It stated that ingesting fish, esp. large predatorial fish, like swordfish and shark, are large sources of mercury poisining. It talked a little about fillings, but they give off minimal amounts of mercury. Maybe next time you get a cavity filled you can have them switch them out for the enamal fillings.

Just a thought.

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

fillings

Postby Jayel on January 18th, 2004, 6:49 pm

Jen-

I am definitely going to switch over. My friend works for a dentist who will not even use amalgams if requested! I am also checking with my best friend's bro-in-law who is a well-respected dentist, just for an opinion. I guess I should floss more, eat less candy and drink more water!

Adios, for now :wink:

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

fillings

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS