My story - sound familiar?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

My story - sound familiar?

Postby Jeff B on January 8th, 2004, 3:39 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site - I came across it yesterday and was very glad that I did. I really found it helpful to read other people's experiences and stories - I found them to be very reassuring.

Like many, I have always had the occasional twitch or fasciculation that might last for a day or two and then go away. A little over 5 weeks ago I developed a twitch in my left index finger and lower lip. I figured they would resolve over the next day or two, but they didn't. Within a week I was noticing more twitching off and on in other areas - arms, legs, back, trunk, behind my ears, etc... I work in health care and immediately feared the worst. I called a colleague and had a (60 minute) neurological exam that same day, which was completely normal. A week later, I had an EMG, also normal aside from a couple of fasciculations in one thigh. Lots of blood work - also all normal. In spite of this, I continued to have a lot of anxiety, and the twitches became worse. My wife could not understand why I was still worried with the normal exam and tests...and it is hard to explain because RATIONALLY you know you shouldn't worry but humans aren't always rational.

Over the holidays things got a bit worse and then better with some R&R but the first day back to work they got bad again. But I find that every day that goes by I feel a bit better about things and am able to cope with the twitches a little bit more. Reading all the postings made me realize that I am not alone in this and that many others have gone through the same things - the constant vigilance, the exercise/strength testing obsession, etc... My symptoms seem to be absolutely classic for BFS and that is very reassuring. Like many, I seem to be finding that the simple passage of time is reassuring as well.

So that's my story for what its worth. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and for being so supportive of others who have come looking for reassurance. Like so many other things in life it really helps to communicate with others who have gone through this and are now "out the other side" and doing well.

Take care,

Jeff B
Jeff B
Interested
Interested

Postby Dale on January 8th, 2004, 3:53 pm

Hey Jeff - for a guy who has only been twitching for 5 weeks you seem to be doing absolutely fantastic. It sure helps being in "the business" & getting to see a Neuro quickly (my wife also works in healthcare).

If you don't mind me asking, what part of Canada are you from? I'm from Ottawa. Big game tonight with the Sens playing in Toronto!

Thanks for sharing your story & I'm happy to hear that you are dealing with "it" well. It's taken many of us (myself included) a much longer time to get our heads back on straight.

Take care.

Dale
Dale
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby sarahtonin on January 9th, 2004, 4:52 am

Jeff

You really are doing well after just 5 weeks, as Dale says, many of us have spent far too long trying to get to where you are now!

But if you do ever have a "wobble" and fear the worst, there are plenty of people here who will be happy to help out.

Sarah
sarahtonin

My story

Postby Jeff B on January 9th, 2004, 1:56 pm

Thank you for the replies. I am glad it seems to others that I am doing well with all this - some days (and hours, and minutes) are better than others but each is better than the last overall. BTW, I am not far from Ottawa - big win for the Sens last night.

One thing I have been thinking, and I wonder if other people have thought about this. When these twitches started, I was very consumed with my work and career and getting ahead. I happen to have a relatively high profile position and I think I was starting to take myself just a bit too seriously. I have a one year old daughter at home on whom my sun rises and sets, and always will, and I have always tried to count my blessings for my good fortune in life. But when you go through an experience like this it is like the old cliche "You don't know what you have until its gone". It made me refocus my priorities and realize that work is just that - work. It is not life and in the grand scheme of things is just not that important.

I have a wonderful wife and a beautiful little girl and those, together with our collective good health, are the only things that are truly important to me. I will continue to go to work and do the best job I can but I won't take myself quite as seriously or care quite so much what others think about me. I really believe that a lot of good is going to come out of this experience and that I will be a better person in the end because of it. Although I am not deeply religious I am quite spiritual and I sometimes wonder if this was a sign from God to remind me what really matters in life and what's superficial and superfluous. That may be reading too much into things, but sometimes I wonder...

Have other people gone through something like this as well?

Jeff
Jeff B
Interested
Interested

Postby thetwitchkid on January 9th, 2004, 2:34 pm

Jeff:

I think many of us can echo the same experience and emotions.
Take care
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Dale on January 9th, 2004, 3:00 pm

Jeff - that is exactly my point. Good health is not a right, it is a gift. We should be thankful for it each and every day. Unfortunately, sooner or later that will change for everyone... whether they have BFS or not.

From my little corner of the world, it's all about realtionships with the one's you love and care for.

Could your experience be a sign from God? I would choose to believe so. There are "signs" everywhere. The problem is many of us are too wound-up with other "distractions" to see them.

I wish I had been able to connect-the-dots as quickly as you. Welcome to the club!

Dale
Dale
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS