Effexor XR and Peripheral Neuropathy

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby Ray on December 4th, 2003, 11:46 pm

Recently I've been reading a lot of posts about people suffering from aches and pains in various parts of their body. Let me tell you about my experience. I'm a year into my BFS but initially my doctor prescribed Celexa (Anti- Depressant / Anxiety) pill to help with my anxiety but the side effect of insomnia was too much to handle so my doctor switched me over to Effexor. Effexor did not cause insomnia but actually promoted sleep without feeling drowsey but the side effect most noticable was weight gain. I stayed on it for about two and half months when I thought I'd see how I do without it. Coming off it was freaky, I was like a zombie for about a week but a month went by where I was doing quite well. With the onset of the second month I began to notice pain in my feet where it then migrated to my calves and hands. This set off my anxiety again as I was constantly worrying about where this would all lead. It was at this point where I started rethinking about going back on Effexor but I was afraid of the weight gain so I looked for alternative SRRI's. It was during my research that I noticed many websites and studies connecting Effexor and Peripheral Neuropathy. The research was very positive but I was reluctant to go back on, I think another concern of mine is the long term effect of taking an SRRI. I considered it for two weeks and noticed that the pain was very difficult to tolerate and my anxiety was way up there so I thought "What the heck". I started off again per the instructions 37.5 mg and after the first week I jumped up to 75 mg where I was the first time. It's been a month and I must honestly say the pains have almost completely disappeared. I have some days where when I do a lot my feet do ache but nothing like before.

My question to everyone else, has anyone else tried Effexor with the same results as me or is it just that placebo effect again? Note: There is so much proof that the ingredients in the pill is highly effective in reducing pain.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ray
Ray

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS