Neuro appointment yesterday

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby nickyw1 on August 6th, 2008, 11:50 am

Hi Everyone,

I have never posted here before but have been reading everone else's posts for about 6 months. About six months ago I started having an eye twitch and with in a week I was twitching ALL over my body. Face, neck, arms, back, legs, feet, toes and even the tounge. I wasn't that nervous about it until I searched muscle twitching and then I was sure I had ALS. I made an appointment with the best Neuro in my area. He is the Cheif of Neurology at a nearby hospital and has been practicing for over 30 years. It took me 4 months to get an appointment with him but I wanted the best in my area so I could put this to rest. My appointment was yesterday, I explained all my symptoms to him twitching, buzzing sensations, cramping, stiffness and numbness. He did a full exam on me. Walking on toes, heals, reflexes, strenght test, ect. I told him my fear of ALS, MS or something else just as horrible. He sat me down, looked into my eyes and said "Nicky you DO NOT have ALS, MS or anything else other then BFS." And then explained why. His words exactly were, "unless there is muscle weekness there is no ALS, weekness is the first sign and it comes on very quickly, in all his years he has never seen someone with twitching as the first sign of ALS." He told me that when he says weekness he means weekness and gave me an example of not being able to lift a cup or walk up stairs. He told me that cramping and buzzing are part of BFS. His words to me exactly were, " I am 100% sure you DO NOT have ALS and you DO have BFS". I told him my concerns about my tounge twitching and he looked at me in confussion and asked me why that would bother me more then any other twitch. His words exactly, " the tounge is a muscle it will twitch like any other muscle there is NOTHING to worry about unless there are other symptoms like slurred speach or not being able to swollow and theese symptoms will always come first before the twitching." So there you have it, I left there with a new lease on life and now I'm going to enjoy it. I just wanted to posted this to help anyone who may be going through the same fears I was. I also suggest to go and see a neurologist if you are twitching and nervous about it, JUST to put your mind at ease. My mind is at ease now and I am 100% sure I do not have ALS. I know this Doctor and his reputation and he would NEVER let me leave his office if he thought something was wrong. Hope this helps. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Nicky 24/7 Twitcher
nickyw1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS