Neuro visit/emg

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Neuro visit/emg

Postby garym on October 2nd, 2003, 1:04 pm

I went to a different neuro today to get a second opinion and have another emg/ncv. Everything went fine, did have fasciculations (no $#|!). That was obvious. Everything else looks pretty normal except for some areas in my back that he is going to follow up with an mri. One thing that I wasn't happy about is that the dr. wouldn't check my bulbar muscles, said the muscles for swallowing couldn't be checked with the needle. Don't know what to think about that, but I'm not going to obsess about it. He also said that the muscle pain is quite normal in BFS and that I shouldn't be concerned.
Just so all of you out there hear it again(I know we all have), he said that he had never in his career (he's probably 65) seen a patient that presented with fascics w/o weakness that had als. He also cited a few studies that showed no correlation between bfs and als, which we already knew on this site.
So, all and all it was a good visit. Now i have to get down to the business of getting rid of the anxiety that has taken me over in the past two months. Think I'll go meditate :D .

One last thing that bothers me, I'm 33 years old, but I played college football and I'm still in decent shape 6-2, 235 lbs. It seems that every dr. looks at me and automatically says something like, "well your obviously a strong man", before they even examine me. Hell, I'm only half as strong as i was five years ago, but they don't know that. It could have all happened in the last six months. Sorry, that just bothers me that drs. make immediate judgments without any exam.
Gary
garym

Postby marieclare on October 2nd, 2003, 2:07 pm

My first neuro looked at me and told me I did NOT have ALS--it was BFS--I said how did he KNOW since hedidn'teven examine me-!!! He said and i quote "I have never seen a blue eyed blonde flight attendant with ALS in my career"--THAT is what set me off the deep end for six years---until i found this site!!! ( did find a better neuro who also said I did not have ALS and he did all the test too)
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pole on October 3rd, 2003, 2:47 am

So your first neuro wasn't so bad - he was right (even without exam) :D

regards
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby Jenn311 on October 3rd, 2003, 7:17 am

Great new Gary....

That's weird that he wouldn't check your bulbar muscles....but I guess he remained unconcerned and that is the most important thing.

Hope you continue to remain less stressed!

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby twitching man on October 16th, 2003, 9:25 am

Gary-I just had the chance to read this old post. I also have the sane thing happening to me, I also played college ball and have stayed in good shape I'am 5'10" and weigh 195. I also worked out and played alot of raqutball until all of this started happening, anyways I get the same response and it can be irritating. i have also asked to have bulbar muscles checked and 2 neuros said you don't have als because if you had bulbar onset als that your hands and neck would show some weakness he was especially referring to the test when you spread your fingers apart and he hten tries to push in on your pinkie finger and index finger he said that those muscles and the neck muscles are the waekest and show up fast when someone has bulbar onset. This is almost verbatum from the best neuro I've seen. Good luck.
twitching man

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS