Update from an "experienced" soldier

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby ryanbabs on May 22nd, 2008, 8:36 am

Somone on this board recently PM'd me regarding my supposed "Lyme's disease" so I feel obligated to respond, especially since it has been some time since I last posted:

I basically had myself tested by Igenex a couple of years back. At the time, I believed the diagnosis. After further visits from many doctors, they all told I did not have it. I now believe I do not have it.

I still have all of my symptoms, probably even more than what you've read but none that are too bad.

I actually made myself a visit to an endocrinologist back in February this year and found out that my Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies were real high (699 compared to a normal of 35)! The doctor immediately started me on Synthroid and told me I had (or will eventually get) hypothyroidism. He is also watching for hypoparathyroidism.

While the medication I take does not take care of my neuro symtoms (twitches, tremor, etc) it may eventually "kick in" or maybe they'll try steroids or something (for the autoimmune stuff).

I know what I have is definitley autoimmune. Not only due to the fact that my thyroid antibodies are high, but I had a low-grade positive ANA twice in the past that the doctors ignored. Also, my mother has Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I have also read about Hashimoto's Encephalopathy, which creates symptoms similar to ours and is related to an elevated Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody level.

Please note that your primary doctor, neurologist, etc will not test for the antibody levels. I've had this stuff for almost five years. I also started having heart palpitations and I saw a cardiologist back in January, which he said I was alright. The palpitations are related to hypothyroidism from what I've read.

I should have kept my story updated, but I try to stay as stress-free as possible and sometimes I read something bad on there (or somewhere else) and it makes me feel worse. My wife and I are also expecting our first child in late June (boy).

Also, Xanax (Alprolazam) is the only medicine I have ever taken during this whole ordeal that has helped me the in the least, and I've tried them all.

I like to help out those when I can, especially since I started way back in '04 or something (although my symptoms started in 2003).

I would stay away from the Lyme stuff...my doctor told me that the people wo really do have Lyme's usually don't respond well to the treatments anyway. I've also tried Doxycycline and it was the same if I'd had sugar...no effect at all.

My advice: see an endocrinologist. A normal TSH, T4 test for a thyroid problem does not always show up. I actually got up to the 5.40 which was almost in the hypo range back in '05 and the doctors did nothing.

I hope you get better, but try to look at things in the right direction.

Take care.

Ryan
ryanbabs
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS