New scary symptom!!

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New scary symptom!!

Postby scaredtom on September 26th, 2003, 2:16 pm

Another new symptom! But this is really how I first notice this stupid bfs a year ago. I carry my cellphone in my pants pocket and leave it on vibrate. A couple of times I thought it was vibrating and it was just my thigh muscle quivering! Well just today about 3 hours ago I felt this same thing again in my left thigh. I'm at work, so I can't look to see the fasics, but I'm almost positive that they can't be seen. It's a really deep quick vibration. And the strange thing is that it's an on and off thing like it vibrates for 2 seconds then is off for 3 then is on again for 2 or 3. Really wierd. It does NOT correlate to my pulse. It's definitely in my left outer thigh area. Wierd!!

Does this still sound like BFS?????
scaredtom

Postby jcavan4125 on September 26th, 2003, 3:09 pm

Yes, it still sounds like BFS. If you look in the FAQ section of the web site you will see that parasthesiae (the symptom you are describing) are common with BFS. I believe that Aaron also mentions it in his rather lengthy post on BFS in a nutshell. It is also mentioned as a common symptom in the Mayo Clinic study which is also on the web site under articles. I know the symptoms can be scary (I've had them to, and still do), but they are very consistent with BFS. Also the other disease everyone worries about is a motor not a sensory neuron disease; therefore the sensations you are describing would not be at all common with it! Hope this helps!
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

paresthesia??

Postby scaredtom on September 26th, 2003, 3:25 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!! From what I know, paresthesia is a "pins and needles" numbness kind of thing? What I am feeling still feels exactly like a fasciculation, just one that is so quick and deep that I can't see the actual muscle motion. I have another question. Do you think that low back problems (lets say spinal stenosis or lumbar facet osteoarthritis - nervers being impinged by bony growth), which causes mild back pain and minor sciatica, could cause symptoms of bfs? Just wondering. I've had the back stuff since I was 36 (53 now) and it really is about the same, so I wouldn't think it would cause the bfs. Just wondering and kinda hoping!!

Let's all have an anxiety free weekend!! Is that at all possible??!!
scaredtom

Postby Twyla on September 28th, 2003, 9:11 pm

Scaredtom, I had exactly the same thing, in my outer thigh just above my knee. First time it happened it lasted about half an hour, and I could see at least 6" of my skin move. The next day it came back for about 10 minutes. A week later, back again for a few minutes. Then it disappeared entirely and I haven't had any twitching in my thighs for the past eight months.

And I had the same thing in the sole of my left foot. Vibrations, or buzzing, on for a second or two, off for a second or two, and it was constant for about a week. Slowly got less strong and less constant, and finally, after about a month, it stopped. Came back for a short while a few months later, but now it's been gone for 8 months.

I think it's either caused by stress, or by some kind of impingement on a nerve of the spine.

Whatever, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Twyla
Twyla

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS