Shaking/shimmering vision

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Shaking/shimmering vision

Postby Amicus on November 27th, 2007, 2:16 am

Hello,

I've been experiencing what could be best described as shimmering vision (looks sort of like heat vapors rising off a road) often in my peripheral vision that occurs in both eyes, but mostly in the left. The shimmering happens mostly at night, especially after being in a darkened room for a period of time, and then being exposed to light. Sometimes, when in a pitch-black room, the visual shimmering actually can be seen as a purplish, shimmering light. I haven't had any headaches associated with these symptoms, but do have a lot of twitching which I've had for about 5yrs. Additionally, I frequently see blue flashing stars that occur when I move my eyes.

I've never been officially diagnosed with BFS, but a lot of my symptoms fit what's been described. Anyone had anything similar?
Amicus

Postby zekebcfs on November 27th, 2007, 8:30 am

I saw a program were a woman described what you describe. She ended having a B12 deficiancy due to pernisious anemia (sp.). She had the tingling, pins and needles and described the eye thing as seeing moving clouds. After about 12 years she was finally tested for pernisious anemia. She just takes B12 injections. Everything went away. It was on Mystery Diagnosis. She went to a rheumatologist at Drexel University. who had been feautured several times as being able to crack some of these odd cases. Maybe I should see her myslef. I belive the name was Dr. Carol Oconner.
Zekebcfs
"Keep them busy busy busy, back on the farm with the other animals." We are kept so busy with business (or busyness) that we do not understand or participate in the decisions and events that will crucially affect our future.
zekebcfs
Saint
Saint

Postby dtmguy on November 27th, 2007, 1:45 pm

I have similar events from time to time, that remain undiagnosed but don't appear to be getting worse in any case. I've gotten used to this now when it occurs. My Neuro said it may be the result of a temporary migrainous event, leading to lower blood flow in parts of my brain that process visual inputs.

Just part of the goofy package...

-Dave
dtmguy
Hero
Hero

Postby c4110djh on November 27th, 2007, 4:11 pm

Wow, I've had the same thing, "shimmering outlines" from shortly after my twitches started years and years ago. Over the years, I've had MRI's (to r/o MS). Since I do have migraines, I've been told that these are probably a part of that scenario. I've never really bought that explanation though since it can last for weeks (months). After all these years I still have 20 20 vision and I still don't really know what causes this. A friend at work experiences it as well. I think I read somewhere that fibromyalgia can cause these visual symptoms. I've also been told I have this, although I'm not quite sure about that diagnosis either. Hope this helps.
Denise
p.s. have been "shimmering" alot last few weeks
c4110djh
Hero
Hero

Postby Amicus on November 27th, 2007, 6:26 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses. It's comforting to know that others have experienced the same thing. I almost wonder if it has something to do with spasms of the outer eye muscles. I did find this on another site. http://groups.msn.com/Superiorobliquemyokymia

zekebcfs- B12 deficiency and pernicious anemia is something I've never considered. I will definitely check into this.

I do want to add that I was diagnosed with severe vitamin D deficiency and (apparently) this can contribute to muscle cramping and joint stiffness. http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050115/299.html It's a lot more common than one thinks, especially for people in northern climates. Some of my cramping has reduced since I started supplementation, however the fascics haven't changed. Hope this helps somebody.
Amicus

Postby zekebcfs on November 28th, 2007, 9:12 am

Look at your Iron levels. Are they low? This was another one of the questions Dr. Oconner ordered for this lady I talk about in the episode.
Zekebcfs
"Keep them busy busy busy, back on the farm with the other animals." We are kept so busy with business (or busyness) that we do not understand or participate in the decisions and events that will crucially affect our future.
zekebcfs
Saint
Saint

Postby Angie on November 28th, 2007, 11:12 am

What did she ahve to say about low iron levels Zeke?
Cramp-fasciculation syndrome: a treatable hyperexcitable peripheral nerve disorder.
Neurology. 1991 Jul;41(7):1021-4 Tahmoush AJ, et al.
"muscle aching, cramps, stiffness, exercise intolerance, and peripheral nerve hyper excitability"
Angie
Saint
Saint

Postby zekebcfs on November 28th, 2007, 12:19 pm

She said that at a young age many people do not present with low Iron levels which is an indicator for them to look into this type of anemia and many doctors dismiss this form of anemia since they concentrate on the low iron in their diagnosis flow chart. Some are "lucky" and will have the low iron level leading them to a much quicker diagnosis. In her case it took 12 years for it to be identified. However, I don't think this lady ever got low Iron but non theless she had this type of anemia. I have the episode archived as I keep all epesodes recorded on my DVR. I have to look at the episode again and make notes but that is what I remember from the episode.
Zekebcfs
zekebcfs
Saint
Saint

Postby skunktail on December 3rd, 2007, 2:16 pm

I have migraines and have had them for many years as well as vision issues. I too have had multiple MRIs and eye exams to rule out tumors, M/S, and etc. My diagnosis is that the vision distorations are from migraine or partial migraine attacks. I try to ignore the vision changes if I can unless it comes with a headache which means the migraine is coming and I need to abort it with medicine.
Also stress seems to make these vision oddities mroe noticeable for me anyway. 8)
skunktail

Postby iamtwitching on December 4th, 2007, 1:55 pm

I used to have the shimmering "heat wave" on a regular basis. The doctor told me it was ocular migranes. They usually only last a short period of time (ten to fifteen minutes) but occasionally render me useless while they are occurring. With mine it is almost impossible to read or use the computer. Mine have never been associated with a headache. The just happen then leave.
iamtwitching

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS