Cures or Promising Therapies Over the Years…

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Cures or Promising Therapies Over the Years…

Postby Angie on October 29th, 2007, 11:50 am

I was curious to see what cures and promising treatments people have suggested over the years, so I overused the search engine and compiled the following list.

As I am somewhat unemployed with way too much time on my hands, please forgive me for all the copying and pasting I did of the various suggestions you all have made. It's really fascinating, somwhat funny and inspiring list. I'm going to try to implement most the suggestions myself next weekend and see what the results will be :lol:. Should I prefice it by saying don't try these at home or without a doctors approval? Probably. So anyway, here they are:

-Only you can cure yourself now, by forcing your mind to focus on the truth. You have benign twitching.

-boink-therapy

-urine therapy (Not at the same time)

-love (anytime)

-Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

-antidepressents

-Alcohol

-colon cleansing

-Threelac contains three strains of live lactic acid bacteria:
Spore Forming Lactic Acid Bacteria (Bacillus Coagulans)
Spore Forming Bacteria (Bacillus Subtilis)
Lactic Acid Bacteria (Group D [non-toxic] Enterococcus Faecalis)

-anti-fungal meds

-Valerian root

-Hawthorne berry tea

-Healing Codes

-Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT).

-Thought Field Therapy (TFT)

-Psycho Energetic Auro Technology (PEAT),

-Be Set Free Fast (BSFF)

-Chinese Meridian System of Medicine

-Tapping

-Sedona method

-rum and coke method? I call it "drinking to wellness

-calcium orotate

-a few beers, a glass or 10 of wine

-podcasts

-Yoga

-Replace the death drip fear with hope for tomorrow

-Find a purpose for getting up in the morning

-eat lots of bread and drink lots of beer

-counseling over the phone by some people I found on the internet

-a glass of wine does wonders

-Neurotol Slow (epilepsy drug)

-Lyrica

-Magnesium beers

-try and remove uncertainty from your mind

-magensium mix

-back surgery

-Vitaspice

-Swing dancing

-300mg vegan DHA, from algae

-oxycodone

-One-Source One-a-Day Vitamin Supplement without Iron---any one-a-day is probably good, however too much iron has show to cause some issues in men

-Green Tea Extract 300 mg (extremely strong anti-oxident)

-Vitamin C 500 mg

-Milk Thistle 1000 mg (very good to promote healthy liver function)

-Dandelion Root 600 mg (very good to promote healthy liver function)

-Cal/Mag/Zinc--read that magnesium deficiency could be a cause of muscle problems

-Grape Seed Extract 50 mg (great for the heart---strong antioxidant)

-Green Phyto Foods---powerhouse that contains virtually every green vegetable extracts including wheatgrass,broccolli, etc---green vegetables are thought to be the key to being disease free by many...

-Apple Cider Vinegar---unrelated to this but helps fat metabolism---also is a weak acid that stronger acids will bind to forming a more basic compound. which reduces the bodies ph

-Bee Pollen 1000 mg---considered natures perfect food---has a whole host of naturally occuring things in it---be careful of a possible allergic reaction however

-Lecithin 1000 mg---strong base compound to restore proper pH to the body as well as essential for cell membranes---many think disease can only occur when the body is overly acidic, which results from eating too many refines sugars and protein---helps counteract this and restore proper balance...

-Siberian Ginseng---prized as an adaptogen(something that can have numerous positive effects on the body depending on where its needed) and can also help with fat metabolism

-Flaxseed Oil(Liquid)---- Great source of omega-3 fatty acids which the body needs for numerous proccesses but cant produce on its own(fish is also a very good source of this)

-eating gluten free

-Botox

-tramadol

-Chocolate and rum

-red wine is the cure and I advise you all to drink lots

-vibrating pillow (you can find them on the internet) works wonders. I just lay it on the twitching and I can't feel them as much. It isn't a cure but it helps relax.

-klonopin

-Citric acid seems to be a good way to get aluminium out of the body, also malic acid found in green apple skin

-All local anesthetics injected i.a. or i.v. depressed the posttetanic potentiation of the soleus muscle and abolished the neural repetitive afterdischarge of the motor nerve terminals

-there's nothing a fun size snickers bar can't cure!

-there is no cure and why would I want to spend the rest of my time on this Earth worrying, instead of enjoying my life while I can still walk, talk, dance and laugh.

-First of all, I've cut out the soda. Second, I'm taking a magnesium supplement--magnesium gluconate. Thirdly--and people are going to think this is the most "odd" part of my therapy--I have been using what is known as a Wet Cell Appliance. It was a form of treatment prescribed by medical psychic Edgar Cayce and is supposed to be a form of vibrational medicine….. What few twitches I still have are so minor and few that I'm not sure I didn't have the same amount before the onset of BFS, and by that I mean I may have one or two a day.

-testosterone supplementation

-Ultram/tramadol has stopped my BFS dead in its tracks

-“Papa, when Jesus picks us up and we are at the gates of Heaven, then there's gonna be no more tears, no more crying, and no more muscle twitches ... right Papa”

-For me and my belief is that there is only one higher power that can ever cure me and that is the Lord, the only one who can perform miracles.

-Lots of Gatorade (between 64-96 ounces a day) and my twitching has nearly stopped.

-A real cure...no. Some of us will twitch for a lifetime...the cure lies in the mind and spirit, as fuzzy and "soft" as that approach sounds to those who must have logic, analytical thought and reason rule their worlds.

-Tramadol (Tramal in Europe) is suplement for heroin: if heroin is the cure for bfs so be it... put me on it now.. im sick of this illness.. its annoying and painful// im so sick of being twitchy buzzy sore.... tramadol works for bfs,, its nice to have at least a day or 2 a week bfs free

-a commitment to therapy, and a great combination of drugs, and an OPEN MIND, I now know that the true "cure" to BFS, insomuch as there is one, is right here within us. It is acceptance, it is idling an overworked mind, and it is in committing to breaking down the potential behaviours, experiences, perceptions, and patterns, LEARNED OVER A LONG, LONG PERIOD OF TIME, that have perpetuated our problems with BFS by predisposing us to feeling "unwell".

-add potassium chloride -- "salt substitute" -- to my drinking water.

-The only true "cure" so far is time itself. Most people (a very high percentage) have their symptoms greatly subside after a couple of years.

-So my advice to everyone is go create a very stressfull situation in your life to get your mind of your twitches and onto something else. That is the best cure

-I feel I have accpeted the town and my environment. I have found my religion. Again, these things have been the cure all for me. I have ALSO dramatically decreased my caffeine intake from 3 large cups a day (+ a soda or two) to one can of soda in the morning. Still getting twitches, but they are way down

-Only you can cure yourself now, by forcing your mind to focus on the truth. You have benign twitching.

-A SELF INFLICTED GUNSHOT WOUND TO THE HEAD. i know this sounds a little extreme but im willing to do anything to get rid of the bfs. Reply to post: Being that head fasciculations are pretty rare, I'm not sure that a gunshot wound to the head would necessarily solve the problem. Then you would become the headless fasciculator!

-Went on Zoloft to prove them wrong, but it backfired and I got better! I stopped worrying, and once I stopped giving those nasty twitches any importance, I found myself getting better and better. I stopped trying to self diagnose myself and stopped going to websites that were unproductive.

-Started on my regime of Antioxyidant vitamins in March. Vitamin B12, COQ10, Vitamin E, Calcium and Magnesium and Ginseng, introducing each one about 2 weeks apart so I could monitor if they were helping or not. Very slowly the twitching began to subside and it wasnt until 2 weeks after taking Ginseng that my twitching became almost non existant!! I have just introduced Milk thistle and in 2 weeks will take Gingko Biloba and need to find a vitamin that has a pine bark extract. Steve Shackel swears by the last two. Steve Shackel also writes that 8 glasses of water should be drunk every day to rid the body of toxins and its very important to keep hydrated especially before bedtime. He also writes to, if possible, stay away from foods that have preservatives. Ice Cream is the No 1 problem as well as the meats you get from the Deli. MSG, which is found in Chinese food is something else to stay away from. Also eat plenty of vegetables as they are high in antioxyidants.

-"Extraordinary Healing - The Amazing Power of the Body's Healing System" by Art Brownstein M.D. I think for all of us seekers of truth this book is THE book to read. This should be on everyones desk, NOW. (No I'm not associated with the author or publisher...just stumbled on it at Barns and Noble). The M.D author describes the ever-working healing system in all of our bodies and the power of that to cure (which he has witnessed) just about everything. He goes through how to really strengthen that system. it's not vodoo. It's fact!

-I've been supplementing average 8mg daily copper and have gradually documented an improvement in my condition. Update: Just wanted to followup on my original post. I'm still doing good on this copper experiment. A lot less twitching lately. Overall health and energy seems to be up too. If this is just a placebo effect, I don't mind it.

-So what can we do? We can cast our mind back to when the crisis was at its peak. Show kindness to the co-worker who has wronged you in the past. Smile at your kids and tell you love them, yes even when they are being unreasonable. Do the unexpected for your spouse. Laugh more. Go to the extended care facility and hold the hand of a really sick patient. One who has the disease that you are so terrified of contracting. Take a break from heel-heel, toe-toe. Accept who you are and where you have arrived in life. Namely we must be less centered around self. Having BFS is an opportunity to be the person that you are: caring, capable and loving. Perhaps this is really what being born again means, that we really understand the preciousness of life. It means that we have decided to drink from the chalice of affirmation instead of the one of anxiety and fear.

-Exerpts from the discussion on “neuromyotonia may be inherited, it is more often acquired.” “all the evidence for the acquired types is pointing towards an autoimmune channelopathy no matter which type you have. Neurontin 300x3 + Lamotrigine 200x2 working well for me, more people should inquire about these combo's. PNH is the term now being used to cover these types of disorders…afterall we've got what we've got and "you don't die a day before you're supposed to". Here endeth the lesson.” Steve
Last edited by Angie on October 29th, 2007, 3:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Angie
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on October 29th, 2007, 12:10 pm

:shock: You forgot Basso's boink-therapy.
My personal fave... :wink:

Actually, I'm a big fan of CBT, I think it works wonders to change our destructive thought patterns. Even if the anxiety didn't come first, it still lessens the symptoms considerably when we are able to overcome it.

Otherwise, I propose balance, moderation, rest, exercise, and lots of laughter.

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby stevepaul on October 29th, 2007, 1:09 pm

How about this for a radical approach. Accept it's benign.

Angie are you by any chance involved in research.
"The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shape of things,
their colours, lights and shades; these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts."

Denys Pitchford Watkins
stevepaul
Hero
Hero

Postby Angie on October 29th, 2007, 1:42 pm

Sue, you always have the most sensible approach and I'm sorry to have overlooked boink-therapy. I'll have to add boinking to the list and there maybe other therepies I have missed as well. All I looked for was the "cure". :lol:

'Accepting it's benign' as a cure is in there Steve, but it is a long, long list, I know. Somehow it gets lost in the mix. I'm a researcher-wanna-be, but give me time. Maybe I'll get there at some point in the future. Until then, you will all have to put up with me here :wink:
Angie
Saint
Saint

Postby stevepaul on October 29th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Second attenpt. Accepting it's benign from the moment you're told.

Denys Pitchford Watkins
stevepaul
Hero
Hero

Postby Angie on October 29th, 2007, 3:05 pm

Ok Steve, because of my sincere affection and respect for you

"-Only you can cure yourself now, by forcing your mind to focus on the truth. You have benign twitching."

is in there three times. Is that considered a 'cure' or 'treatment' though, or simply the best coping mechanism? You and your pesky logic.
Angie
Saint
Saint

Postby kit on October 29th, 2007, 3:13 pm

Having a mantra to redirect your mind when it gets the best of you...personally mine is "aaaaaaaaaaaaaah shyte". Nope it doesn't do a darn thing but it makes me feel a little better. Combine that with the wine therapy and boinkin well then there you go.... :wink:
Kit
"Life is not always what one wants it to be, but to make the best of it, as it is, is the only way of being happy"
kit
Saint
Saint

Postby kit on October 29th, 2007, 3:13 pm

Having a mantra to redirect your mind when it gets the best of you...personally mine is "aaaaaaaaaaaaaah shyte". Nope it doesn't do a darn thing but it makes me feel a little better. Combine that with the wine therapy and boinkin well then there you go.... :wink:
Kit
"Life is not always what one wants it to be, but to make the best of it, as it is, is the only way of being happy"
kit
Saint
Saint

Postby Angie on October 29th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Here's the difficulty with BFS/BCFS/PNH I think, though Kit's advise, especially coming from a physician sounds very good to me, the fact is that the syndrome presents new challenges over time. For me, the challenge was severe head-to-toe twitching for a while and, even though my neuro gave me mixed messages to cover his own hide, in the end he told me it was BFS. So ok, I come to terms with that even though some days my muscles are stiff, sometimes my tongue twitches, I'm tired, I can't do the kind of exercise I used to, I don't know from day to day what new thing will crop up, blah blah blah. I know I dodged a few neurological bullets, so thank heaven for that.

Then, over the last few weeks I get a cramp in my left foot that rendered me an exhausted emotional wreck even though I know all my tests said "benign". Throw in some internal tremors just for fun, and I'm almost back to square one again. So I find a new doc, go on a new treatment and try to get back to that benign thinking again.

What I came to realize as I was looking into all the input people have made over the years, is that a few things stand out in my mind as very important. Equally important I think. There is the physical understanding of this condition to which Steve has contributed enormously and he has been a saving grace for me and many others. He gave me back my sanity. For that I will always be grateful and I've told him as much.

For some of us though, there is also the challenging emotional side of this condition when dealing with changing symptoms. For some of us it is severe and for some of us it is not. That is where Basso, Sue, Chris, Christine, Bill, Kit and so many, many others that I cannot think to name of here, have stepped up to try to give guidance, additional information and support. Sometimes this d*mn thing does not feel benign, so then it is mind over matter.

So, per my favorites drs advise, I will now try to follow Kit's words of wisdom to the best of my abiltity tonight and tomorrow start looking for a j-o-b! You all can get back to me on the colon cleansing and Yoga. They both sound equally painful to me and not much fun :lol: I hope that in the future all neurologists will have an understanding of these challenges and be able to provide their patients with these types of resourses and thus prevent needless suffering and confusion. That is the hope.
Angie
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on October 29th, 2007, 5:18 pm

I feel good, very good. I have been railing against the establishment for years that boinking should be included in everyone's health regimen, and now it finally seems to be gaining in recognition. Thank you SuziQ for bringing this forth, and thank you Kit for concurring, also. I want boinking to be taught to every doctor in every medical school, posted about on every bulletin board from here to Timbuktu, hell, I want it part of every school curriculum. This is a new wave here folks, a boinking wave, a wave that says doing what is natural isn't just good and fun, it is healthy. :D

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on October 29th, 2007, 5:31 pm

8)
Last edited by basso on October 29th, 2007, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby stevepaul on October 29th, 2007, 5:38 pm

Angie wrote
I know I dodged a few neurological bullets, so thank heaven for that.

Wasn't it Winston Churchill that said something along the lines of "There's nothing more exhilarating than being shot at only to have them miss"

Denys Pitchford Watkins
stevepaul
Hero
Hero

Postby Angie on October 29th, 2007, 6:36 pm

Great quote Steve! That should be our mantra.

And as much as Basso inspires us with his extraordinary gift for prose, I have to say that middle-age people with a bizarre twitching condition talking dirty to one another gives me the heebee geebees. (I'm laughing hysterically as I type this.)

If we're going to talk about pleasures of the flesh to renew our appreciation for the miraculousness of our existence, how about we talk about something that we women love almost as much, lasts a lot longer and has better staying power- FOOD! Give me a poetic, loving description of Fettuccini Alfredo with a rich, creamy sauce accompanied by an intoxicating glass of a deep red Cabernet that swims in the glass making me giddy and then you'll have me quivering in excitation. (No offense Basso. I'm sure you're vanilla candle inspired evening was the best 15 minutes or so of someone's life) :lol:

OMG I've said too much as usual. How am I ever going to be gainfully employed if I spend my time doing this. Love you all!
Angie
Angie
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on October 29th, 2007, 7:21 pm

LOL Angie!

Why, just yesterday, I read the following quote, which made me laugh hysterically.......and exercise for an hour longer....:oops:

"I've given up sex for food. Now I can't even get into my OWN pants."
:wink: :lol: :P :twisted:

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on October 29th, 2007, 8:25 pm

Another Churchhill quotable: I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught.

Basso
Last edited by basso on October 29th, 2007, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basso
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)