HELP PLEASE!!!! HYPOCHONDRIAC!!!

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

HELP PLEASE!!!! HYPOCHONDRIAC!!!

Postby pacovega26 on October 25th, 2007, 9:36 pm

Sorry to bother you, but today i felt a rather large lump behind my neck, posterior to the mastoid articulation. I believe it is a ganglion of the posterior cervical chain. I called a doctor of mine and told me it must be from a previous infection I had 2 days ago, but i have been treating it with ciprofloxacin. The lump is unilateral, to the left. any MDs or RN for help?

Wadda you think???

cheers

Luis
"Do you believe in destiny, Neo?"
"No"
"Why?"
"Because I don´t like the idea that I am not in control of my life"
pacovega26
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Chris swl on October 26th, 2007, 7:05 am

Hi Luis

As i believe the Sternocleidimastoid consists of parallel bundles of muscles, these muscles provide support for the head. Have you had pain with this condition, as I believe it could be numerous benign muscle problems. Anything from a bruised or pulled muscle to a sprain. Sometimes you can lie in bed in the wrong position and have neck problems too. Any benig infection can give you pain in the muscles.

The cervical spine has 7 vertebrae. How far down is the lump? All these issues would be looked at by your GP. So I would stick with his diagnosis and keep an eye on things. I think two days on meds is to early to see a difference, so keep up the meds too.
If this continues give your GP another call. Remember this could be anything from an infected hair follicle to a boil, so please try and calm down and don’t think the worst. Go with your Doctor on this one.

Good Luck and take care.
Chris Sewell
Good luck to all with BFS/BCFS
Chris swl
Saint
Saint

Postby kit on October 26th, 2007, 10:53 am

Wow Chris, excellent! Paco, you are speaking not of a ganglion but rather the lymphatic chain. Lymph nodes commonly swell not at the beginning of an infection but rather mid way into the infection as they are all about the immune system. So they swell as the body's immune system goes into high gear when either fighting off something or combating something that is occurring. They swell when drainage becomes somewhat sluggish as well. You had an infection you say two days ago but likely you had it longer than that but rather started treatment 2 days ago. You body is doing it's job and this lymphadenopathy should subside nicely in another 36-72 hours. Sometimes if the muscles are tight or the infection is severe lymphadenopathy can remain longer and is generally not an issue.

No worries!
Kit
"Life is not always what one wants it to be, but to make the best of it, as it is, is the only way of being happy"
kit
Saint
Saint

Postby pacovega26 on October 26th, 2007, 10:15 pm

ahhh

thank you guys

YOU ROCK!!!!

Cheers to you both,

Luis or Paco
"Do you believe in destiny, Neo?"
"No"
"Why?"
"Because I don´t like the idea that I am not in control of my life"
pacovega26
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)