The Sky is Falling

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

The Sky is Falling

Postby Angie on September 23rd, 2007, 3:52 pm

As people who have BFS, I think many of us have often felt like Chicken Littles at the doctors office. At home, we twitch, jolt, buzz and have all of these other symptoms which are very frightening at first. It feels as though the sky is falling. Then we get to the doctors office only to have said symptoms vanish and then reappear with a vengeance when we return home. We’re sent home with a sympathetic nod and a prescription for Xanax. It was the same thing with a used Honda I bought years ago. It was forever breaking down in the middle of nowhere and always needed to be towed to the nearest mechanic. Then, the mechanic would hook it up to their diagnostic computer and it would say “All’s Well!” or whatever the computers say without actually diagnosing the problem. All that I ever got from the mechanic however was a large bill for not actually fixing my car. That went on for years and years until I finally paid off the stupid car and got rid of it. The sky was falling, but I never knew why.

Well, yesterday morning the sky really was falling again, but it wasn’t me and it wasn’t my car, it was our bedroom ceiling. Now, I’ve never been one for putting on airs, mainly because I’ve never had too many airs to put on with, but even this is a little much for me to disclose without embarrassment. It’s just too funny to keep to myself, however.

I was sleeping in a little yesterday, just waking up, but still had my eyes closed, when I hear a

“WHOOOOOOOSH!”

sound. It sounded a little like a sucking noise, but it was heading in my direction. My eyes fly open and I look up to see a gigantic crack in our bedroom ceiling running from over the middle of the headboard to the other end of the room. It kind of looked like a minor earthquake in reverse. The ceiling was bowing in towards us. It was funny that the crack ran straight through where the middle of where our bed is. If I were superstitious, I would take that as a bad omen. Luckily, I’ve had enough misfortune not to take any one small disaster too symbolically.

So, I get my husband to jump out of bed (of course he slept through it) and go up into the attic above us to see if a box had fallen over or something. He found nothing. Everything was dry and completely ordinary. It appears as though, back in the 60’s when our home was built, the builders used wood nails instead of drywall screws to secure our ceiling and it probably had been slipping down for a while. We propped the ceiling up with two by fours while we decided what in blazes we were going to do. My husband had to go and do some field work, so we had to postpone repairs for a little while. Before he left he said “Now, don’t dilly dally in the bedroom today!”

So while I waited, I felt a few more twitches and a little more buzzing than usual, but nothing traumatic. I could tell the difference, but considering my morning wake up call, it really wasn’t that bad. Nothing like the ceiling caving in on you first thing in the morning to get the blood pumping and get you out of bed straight away. Maybe some entrepreneur could replicate the experience in some way for those who have a hard time getting up in the morning, but without the same consequences.

We rented a drywall jack and my husband hoisted the ceiling back in it’s proper location. After a lot of drill work, it's back where it's supposed to be. It looks a little like a Frankenstein ceiling, all ripped up, screws sticking out all over, but I don’t think it’s coming down again and that’s what matters. We can patch it up. I have definitely been trying to employ a glass-half-full mentality this weekend. The sky could have fallen all the way down, and we could been awoken by large pieces of nail covered drywall, but that didn’t happen. So….. yeah! Not how we planned to spend the weekend, but it could have been much, much worse.

So, I don’t have really a moral to this story. I just thought it was funny and, if you thought maybe you had a bad weekend, maybe it will make you feel better. Call us Chicken Littles if you will, but luckily our sky never falls as far as it might, and for that we must consider ourselves fortunate.
Angie
Saint
Saint

Postby stevepaul on September 23rd, 2007, 5:22 pm

It sounds to me like the earth really did move for you.
"The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shape of things,
their colours, lights and shades; these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts."

Denys Pitchford Watkins
stevepaul
Hero
Hero

Postby Chris swl on September 24th, 2007, 3:28 am

We have a saying over in the UK, it always comes in threes, or it never rain but always pores. How optimistic are we Brits. I’m sure all will be well.
Are you covered by insurance? I was going to give some advice on insurance but I would get called dishonest. Not that I would do anything dishonest;

I can relate to the chicken little story big time. I have a Fiat Punto and every time I go round a corner something rattles. It sounds like a loose screw rolling around. Every time I take it to the Garage it stops. They look at me with the same look as my neurologist, as if I am making it up.

Hope you have a better week-end, next week-end.
Take care.
Chris Sewell
Good luck to all with BFS/BCFS
Chris swl
Saint
Saint

Postby sharon slack on September 24th, 2007, 3:53 am

Hi

I'm still chuckling about the fact that your husband slept through it!!.

sharon
sharon slack
Saint
Saint

Postby Jens_twitch on September 24th, 2007, 9:48 am

Men can sleep through anything! What a day.
Jen
Jens_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby basso on September 24th, 2007, 8:14 pm

Yes, the ceiling falling down can be unsettling. Watch now for the floor flying up. :shock:

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Angie on September 24th, 2007, 9:47 pm

With the year I'm having, that would surprise me not at all :lol: Why wouldn't the floor fly up? That's funny Chris. The EMG experience is very much like my experience at the mechanics. Many similarities. Somewhat painful, a little embarressing, not very informative, I had to pay them for it and nothing was ever quite fixed.

I called my friend after the ceiling dropped to see if there had been a mild earthquake here and she sighed, knowing the year I've had, and said "No, Ang...it's just...it's just it was YOUR ceiling". Ah, of course.

I have a picture of my husband with the drywall jack and the ceiling sagging. I may use it as our Christmas card. Why not?! It would definitely stand out on the mantle. I wonder if an actual earthquake would have woken him up. Probably not.

Thanks all!
Angie
Saint
Saint

Postby Capital H on October 1st, 2007, 6:33 pm

I live four floors above the ground, and well above any watershed so you would think that flooding is my last worry wouldn't you?

Well not so, one year after a hot summer my ashphalt roof had cracked up and the first rainstorm flooded me from the cieling down.
Capital H
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)