bad news

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby wjjw on August 19th, 2007, 7:34 am

Hi Garry, sorry to hear about your situation. My father-in-law was also diagnosed with lung cancer about 6 months ago and it is stage IV. He got an even bigger surprise when he got his medical records. A year earlier, it was detected on an unrelated chest X-ray, and noted that the radiologist told his doctor—but his doctor somehow forgot to tell him! It would not have made much difference in the end, because it was said to be stage IV then as well. Even given a bleak prognosis, he is still surprisingly comfortable and active today.
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby hypocondriacdn on August 19th, 2007, 11:45 am

Hi Gary,

I am sorry to hear that your family is struggling. I will send prayers your way. I pray for strength and healing for you and your family.

All the best,

Luke
hypocondriacdn
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Floater on August 19th, 2007, 1:38 pm

im sorry to hear that gary,, my dad also had lung cancer,, he never smoked a day in his life.... i wish i could have spent more time with him.. i was young and a drunk,,, i just though he was strong,,, i was wrong .. i miss him so much and i feel bad for not spending time with him.....i guess thats the best thing,, spend as much time as possible with him... i wish your family the best and i hope he can pull through,, im sorry to hear that.

aaron
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby Angie on August 19th, 2007, 5:41 pm

I'm sorry to hear of everyone's struggles and worries for your different family members. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
Best wishes,
Angie
Angie
Saint
Saint

Postby kit on August 20th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Gary and Kate,
I have been a little busy lately and just happened to check in today. I am so sorry to hear your news. Please know that both of you and your families will be in my prayers regularly. I wish you both peace and comfort through what will be a trying time.

I too far away from either of you to do anything personally but if you have any questions or you need anything that I can help with, please feel free to PM me anytime.
My love to both of you,
Kit
"Life is not always what one wants it to be, but to make the best of it, as it is, is the only way of being happy"
kit
Saint
Saint

Postby garym on August 21st, 2007, 12:09 am

Thank you again, to all of you that have replied....it means a bunch to me. He meets with the oncologist tomorrow, so we should find out what the course of treatment will be. We are all praying that his cancer isn't too far progressed. We'll find out tomorrow.

Take care,

Gary
garym

Postby jmontan27 on August 21st, 2007, 1:30 pm

Gary and Kate, I've just read this thread and wanted to say I am thinking of you and your families. Gary, I hope the oncologist appointment went all right (as all right as these things can go). Whatever is said, there is always hope. My dad was diagnosed with T4 stomach cancer in 1995 and had about an 8% chance of survival. He had his stomach removed and is now fine.

Take care
"Peace can not be kept by force. It can only be achieved through understanding." Albert Einstein
jmontan27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby aussiekate on August 21st, 2007, 7:45 pm

Hi Gary
Let us know how the appointment went. I've been thinking of you and your family.
My Mum had her operation yesterday, she is now resting comfortably in hospital where she'll be for the next week or so. We'll know more when the pathology comes back on the lymph gland.
Many thanks to everyone for their kind words of concern.
Kate :)
aussiekate

Postby garym on August 21st, 2007, 8:44 pm

Hey Kate,

It's good to hear that your mother came through the surgery ok. Hopefully the pathology report will bring good news. For my father-in-law, the news is not good. The cancer is present in his left lung, the pleura, and in a couple of lymph nodes. He will start chemo in the next few days. The good news is that he is strong and will undoubtedly fight hard to beat it.

Thanks again to everyone that has replied/sent good thoughts/prayers our way. I speak for my wife and our entire family when I express my sincere thanks to all of you.

Take care,

Gary
garym

Postby Jens_twitch on August 27th, 2007, 7:09 pm

I know what you are going through Gary, it is one of the hardest things to go through when a parent or parent in law is very ill. Your wife is very lucky to have your support at this time, when my father was ill my husband was wonderful and it really strenghtened our marriage.

Jen
Jens_twitch
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)