bad news

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

bad news

Postby garym on August 16th, 2007, 10:35 pm

just found out today that my father-in-law has lung cancer. I don't know yet what stage, but our family is struggling. Please all of you out there that believe in the power of prayer, send some our way.

Thanks,

Gary
garym

Postby aussiekate on August 16th, 2007, 10:41 pm

Hi Gary
I found out this week my mother has cancer too, it's in her lymph nodes in her groin...it's secondary from a melanoma she had removed about 2 years ago.
My thoughts are with your family at this difficult time.
Kate
aussiekate

Postby Cardu on August 16th, 2007, 10:59 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with both of you.
Amy
Cardu
Saint
Saint

Postby Alayne on August 17th, 2007, 12:18 am

Gary and Kate,
So sorry to hear the news about your loved ones. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Alayne
Last edited by Alayne on August 17th, 2007, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alayne
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby sharon slack on August 17th, 2007, 12:31 am

Gary and Kate,

Best wishes to both you and your families.

Sharon
sharon slack
Saint
Saint

Postby WitchyTwitchy on August 17th, 2007, 8:10 am

My goodness...

Gary & Kate,

May God Bless and strengthen you and your families during these difficult times.

Vanessa
WitchyTwitchy
Saint
Saint

Postby sueboy on August 17th, 2007, 8:18 am

You both are in my thoughts and prayers!
Sue
sueboy
Hero
Hero

Postby k9ck on August 17th, 2007, 9:17 am

Gary,

I certainly believe in the power of prayer. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Terri
k9ck
Hero
Hero

Postby Jennhaz on August 17th, 2007, 9:32 am

Gary & Kate,

My prayers will surely be with you and your families. My prayers are also with the Dr.'s who treat your Father-in-law and Mother.

My friend of 15 years was just dx with stage 3 non-hodgkins about 4 days ago. After I got of the phone from hearing the terrible news I said. "Lord thank you for blessing me with BFS." It stops and makes you think just how lucky we truely are, well it did me anyway...God Bless..Jenn
Jesus bore my sickness and carried my pain. Therefore I give no place to sickness or pain. For God sent His Word and healed me. (Ps.107:20)

"Life is what happens to you while you are making other plans!!"
Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby Christina on August 17th, 2007, 12:42 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Please keep strong, and take care, and we will all be hoping for the best outcomes.

Love,

Christina
Life is short. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly.
Christina
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on August 17th, 2007, 1:13 pm

My dad got cancer just after retiring. He was very upbeat, thought positive thoughts, did what the doctors told him, had this and that cut out, and then died. My mom got the same cancer :shock:, was not upbeat, nor positive, didn't take any treatment, except to have the offending tumor removed, and she is alive some 15 years later, cancer free. The differencefor my mom, I believe, was that she still thought of herself as a well person. She didn't think for a second, "oh my goodness, I'm sick, I must get over this." Instead she believed herself otherwise well, and so the cancer did not have a foothold over the entirety of her being. It isn't in thinking positive, although that is a big help, but rather, "being" positive that life is power.

Well, could be coincidence, or luck of the draw, but I don't believe so. It is hard to be upbeat when we feel we are sick, but it is much, much easier, and natural to be as well as we are. That way we can be miserable for a few days without any setback, because we aren't setting back the wellness that we already have.

Wishing the spirit of wellness to pervade,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby aussiekate on August 18th, 2007, 2:55 am

Thanks so much everyone for your kind messages. It means a lot. My Mum is being operated on on Tuesday and has one of the best surgical oncologists in Melbourne so its nice to know she is in good hands. We'll know more once they've removed the tumours and can assess what stage they are.
Many, many thanks
Kate
aussiekate

Postby garym on August 18th, 2007, 6:14 pm

thanks everyone! It is good to know that there are people in the world pulling for our family. It really means a lot to me. The best thing we have going for us is along the lines of what basso discussed, my father-in-law is just carrying on his normal routine. Hopefully he will be able to continue that as he gets to the point of treatment.

Kate, I will say a prayer for you and your Mom.

Thanks again and take care.

Gary
garym

Postby Mommyto3 on August 18th, 2007, 7:34 pm

My prayers are with you and your family!!! My dad has had a form of leukemia for many years and also carries on as if nothing is wrong. I think that's why he is doing so well. Take care of yourself and your family!
Kristin
Mommyto3
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SuziQ on August 19th, 2007, 6:34 am

Gary and Kate,
I have to echo the sentiments of my man, Basso, here.

My Mom died from lung cancer many years ago. It was, mercifully, very sudden and she only lived 3 weeks after diagnosis. She was as kind and sweet and generous as a human being could ever be.

A couple of years later, my then-boyfriend's mother was also diagnosed with lung cancer. This woman was a p-isser if you've ever seen one. She was cranky and selfish and stubborn and downright MEAN. (Sounds like my current mother-in-law, gah.)

But God bless her, this woman kicked that cancer's butt. It seems that people with certain personality types have stronger immune systems. Who knew?

The point is, a diagnosis of cancer takes a different path with each individual person who gets it. (Well, bfs or any malady is the same really.) There are MANY variables; prayer, attitude, treatment, one's perception of the efficacy of the treatment, support systems, and the individual person's unique physiological make-up, all of which ultimately contribute to the outcome.

I've shared on this forum before that I've heard doctors tell people they have three months to live, and they live three months to the day. Others with the SAME diagnosis and prognosis have been told the same thing, (or perhaps NOT told their prognosis at all,) and ten years later are still kicking and cancer free. I can't claim to know what causes one to live, and another not to, I can only say that there is always, ALWAYS hope.

Blessings and prayers,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)